Gawd! We're Lucky In Houston

Snoogans

Sure wish I lived in Houston, or for that matter anywhere in Texas should be close enough for this to be worth the effort.

Sure wish it was in a state other than Texas. B)

Wait, is Pennsylvania far enough away to avoid the backlash of a jab at Texans ? B)

I was just kiddin ya'll. Ya know them steer horns mounted to your cars, and shootin everything's cool.

Awesome looking cache idea. Wish I was able to make a roadtrip to hunt that one !

I think we are lucky in California.  I'm not interested in prizes, I'm interested in adventure.  We have caches like this one and for that I am very happy.

--Marky

I agree, but you're mistaken if you think that this won't be an adventure.

Oh, I bet it will be. I just don't like the "race" type of adventures. I have enough stress at work, I don't need stressful playtime. B) Maybe it can become a puzzle-multi or something after the FTF gets the prize.

Off course, for some people, having a competition would add to the adventure/experience. This is perfect for those types. B)

--Marky

Just checked the web. A 1/10 oz coin goes for about $50 and a 1/4 oz for about $125. I don't know if there are other sizes. I wonder what weight the cache coin will be?

If that photo is of the actual coin, that might be a one ounce coin with a value of $400+.

A Krugerrand (a rand is a denomination, Kruger is the type of coin) is a South African gold coin. They are very popular with gold traders because they are minted in great quantities, and thus are worth fairly close to their actual weight in gold (with a lot of coins you pay a premium for them). Excellent for investing.

This is one instance where the value of the coin isn't really that important. How many people get a chance to win a gold coin? That's VERY cool.

Edited by Indiana Cojones
This is one instance where the value of the coin isn't really that important. How many people get a chance to win a gold coin? That's VERY cool.

THAT is exactly why I posted the thread. I don't have much of a chance to win, but if I did, I would never part with it.

I had the opportunity to party with some of the Houston cachers, and must say Texas has captured the true spirit of geocaching. The comraderee, true sportsmanship, sense of fairness and acceptance to newcomers shows how great these people are. Hats off to Houston cachers. They are the true representation of what it is all about!!!!!

With the way the price of gold has been fluctuating, it will be interesting to see what the prize will be worth on the 27th, when the hunt actually begins. Krugerrands normally have a buy/sell price within about -/+ 2% of spot price.

Silver has really been climbing, at some point soon it will fetch over $8/oz I'm going to have to dig out those junk silver coins and try to figure out where it will peak.

Edit:typo

Edited by cachew nut

There certainly doesn't seem to be any problem importing them now.

I've been watching gold for a while, and thinking it might not be a bad place to invest, particularly during these times of trouble. Since I first started watching, Gold has climbed from around $325 to around $425 an ounce. That's in the space of about a year, which makes it a TREMENDOUS investment opportunity.

Traditionally, when major economies start to do poorly, Gold tends to rise in value. Gold started to rise after September 11, and has continued to do so at a fairly steady pace.

Gold Value Graph

I've been watching gold for a while, and thinking it might not be a bad place to invest, particularly during these times of trouble. Since I first started watching, Gold has climbed from around $325 to around $425 an ounce. That's in the space of about a year, which makes it a TREMENDOUS investment opportunity.

Traditionally, when major economies start to do poorly, Gold tends to rise in value. Gold started to rise after September 11, and has continued to do so at a fairly steady pace.

Gold Value Graph

Or at least a year ago it was s tremendous investment opportunity. :blink:

Gold Value Graph

Gold is never a long term investment. Look at the bigger picture and graphs that go farther back. There are many other conservative investments that will do much better than gold.

Gold is never a long term investment. Look at the bigger picture and graphs that go farther back. There are many other conservative investments that will do much better than gold.

I never said it was a good LONG term investment. Frankly, I don't have enough faith in humanity to invest for the long haul.

There are plenty of good long-term investments which I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a fork than invest it. Phillip Morris is one. They always do well, and are a staple in many mutual funds, but their close work with Satan makes them unappealing in my book. :blink:

Buy gold now. Sell it in 6 months or a year. I challenge you to find anyh investment that will likely do that well for that short period of time. The only problem is, you have to have enough money to buy enough gold to make the hit you take on selling it worth while. I, alas, do not. But if people are going to be putting them in caches for free then dadgum it, I'm there.

Could someone give me an idea here?

About how much would it be worth during today's exchange rate?

Go poke around on this site. Next to the word gold, to the left, is a little chart icon. Click that, and you will be brought to a page where you can click to get historic charts in months, years, etc. If you go to the main page, there are plenty of articles about what everyone thinks metals will do. There is also a link where you can actually go buy and sell Eagles, Krugerrands, etc. The prices will change based on the spot price of the metal you are looking at. The spot prices are for one troy ounce of the metal you are looking at. I don't know how to make it any clearer, you might just want to visit a coin shop near you and see what kind of prices you can get there. Hope this helps.

:blink: The coin just gives an added incentive. Alot of cachers in Houston metro area go the distance just to be a FTF on a micro. I for one, will only have 1/2 of the day to look for this, so I doubt I will be able to cover all the waypoints. But I will have fun trying! I have not met a cacher in Houston that was not very kind and generous. And they all have a sense of humor (although sometime strange)!
I had the opportunity to party with some of the Houston cachers, and must say Texas has captured the true spirit of geocaching. The comraderee, true sportsmanship, sense of fairness and acceptance to newcomers shows how great these people are. Hats off to Houston cachers. They are the true representation of what it is all about!!!!!

Yeah, cause they are all packing heat :blink:

Neat idea! However, I'll agree with Marky on this one. The value of the thing is not why I cache =)

I have not met a cacher in Houston that was not very kind and generous.  And they all have a sense of humor (although sometime strange)!

Why do I think you are talking about me in that last part? Have you met SigJ? I'm small potatos compared to him.

Sn :):) gans

:lol: Hey Snoogans!

You calling me strange? What has the world come to? Anyone read the logs on his latest cache in the abandoned bomb shelter?

I'm watching you, Snoogans!! :lol: