Creating A Cache

olbluesguy

I find an interesting spot and place first. Then I submit it for approval, which can take anywhere between a few hours and a few days. The one time I did it the other way around, my cache was approved more quickly than I expected and I found myself runing out, cache in hand, at 5:30 in the morning to make sure the it was there for any early birds.

If you want to do it the other way around and create and submit your page first, you can uncheck the "yes this cache is already active" box. This way it won't go into the approver's queue. Some people do this so they can get a waypoint (GCxxx) name to write on their cache. Once your cache is in place, you can check the box and resubmit and it will go to the approver's queue.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks briansnat.

If this cache got aproved as fast as you responded I would be running out the door right now.

That's what I was worried about.getting approved,and having to hurry up and place the cache.

Now I will take my time ,and place it before I submit.

I can always go back and put a GC number on later.

Thanks....Frank

Go ahead and set up your page, and get a GC number, but DISABLE your cache by unchecking the box that says the cache is active. When you do this, the cache does not show up in the review queue, and the volunteer reviewers regard your cache page as being a "draft". Then place your cache. When you get back, go to your cache page and re-enable your cache. It then shows up in the review queue. You save a second trip to your cache this way, if you want to put the GC number on the container or in the logbook.

Go ahead and set up your page, and get a GC number, but DISABLE your cache by unchecking the box that says the cache is active. When you do this, the cache does not show up in the review queue, and the volunteer reviewers regard your cache page as being a "draft". Then place your cache. When you get back, go to your cache page and re-enable your cache. It then shows up in the review queue. You save a second trip to your cache this way, if you want to put the GC number on the container or in the logbook.

I thought I said that :blink:

You sure did, Brian, but from the response given by the fellow you were helping, I wasn't quite sure it had all sunk in. He doesn't need to return a second time to the cache just to label it with the GC number. So, good advice bears repeating. :blink:

While I am at it, I would like to thank you for helping so many people out here in the Getting Started forum.

Uh........why would you want the GCXXXX number on the box or in the log?

This is a good way of identifying the container as a geocache. If it is found by a muggle or unintentionally by another cacher, they can easily locate the cache page on GC.com.

This is a good way of identifying the container as a geocache. If it is found by a muggle or unintentionally by another cacher, they can easily locate the cache page on GC.com.

Still nothing. I put "GEOCACHE" on the container or use a sticker, why would I want the GCXXXX number?

From what I understand, It can help to make sure you log the right cache online, and not a misplaced one, or one that missed the 0.1mi rule, or a leg of a nearby multi (that slipped by the 0.1 mile rule because incorrect cords were given to the approver) I’m guessing all of these are fairly unlikely, but I figured I’d mention them any ways.

I agree with you that the word "GeoCache" (or the whole URL) is going to mean a lot more to a muggle than "GCxxxx" WH has a good point too about needing the GCxxxx. I guess it would be nice to see both on a cache.

I've never placed a cache and only found a few, so my observations here are just based on posts, thoughts, and the little I have seen. I always appreciate what constructive criticism is available.

Edited by geckoee

My general method is to hide the cache, go home and submit the log, and then wait for it to be posted on the site. Be sure to include comments to the reviewer at the very bottom of the submittal page, indicating that you made sure that your cache was more than 0.1 miles from any other existing caches.