Newbie looking for hunting buddy - Atlanta area

Strapped-4-Cache

Hi All,

Another noob here looking for a hunting buddy in the east Atlanta area. I've begun doing a few of the easier seaches using compass alone, but can't wait until I can afford a GPS. At this rate I've only found 2 of the 4 I've searched for. Currently considering a Megallan SporTrak, but not 100% sure.

Hoping to find a local who's willing to show a newbie the ropes while looking for new caches. Thanks for the feedback!

- Mark

Whereabouts in Atlanta are you? We're in Cherokee County and pretty new to the sport ourselves. Would love to have a new hunting buddy. Will email you as well.

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

Hi Payroll!

My Hubby and I are also new to Geocaching! We bought a GPS last night and logged our first two caches today in 100 heat! : 0 We had a blast! Sorry that we're not in your area; but I did want to reply to you about the Sportrak Map. We love it! After a massive amount of research on all the units; (via this website,on countless other sites, and at our local stores), we finally decided on the Sportrak Map. We had been really going back and forth between it and the Garmin Legend. I think the Legend would be great too...just kind of depends on your preferences and the amount of $ you can spend. We liked some of the features alittle better (esp. having the buttons on the front) on the Sportrak Map and Best Buy had them for $189.00 with a $30.00 mail in rebate. We had it up and running in minutes with NO prior GPS experience. We're still learning; but we find it very user friendly and a great little GPS for the $ ! Best of luck to you and happy caching! Jenny & Randy

quote:
Originally posted by The GeoGoes:

Hi Payroll!

My Hubby and I are also new to Geocaching! We bought a GPS last night and logged our first two caches today in 100 heat! : 0 We had a blast! Sorry that we're not in your area; but I did want to reply to you about the Sportrak Map. We love it! After a massive amount of research on all the units; (via this website,on countless other sites, and at our local stores), we finally decided on the Sportrak Map. We had been really going back and forth between it and the Garmin Legend. I think the Legend would be great too...just kind of depends on your preferences and the amount of $ you can spend. We liked some of the features alittle better (esp. having the buttons on the front) on the Sportrak Map and Best Buy had them for $189.00 with a $30.00 mail in rebate. We had it up and running in minutes with NO prior GPS experience. We're still learning; but we find it very user friendly and a great little GPS for the $ ! Best of luck to you and happy caching! Jenny & Randy

Welcome Payroll,Jenny & Randy!!

Fellow Texans Roy & Susie here!!! Jenny you've got to get that puppy in your profile on your avatar...he's a cutie.

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

Hi Roy and Susie!

Thanks so much for the nice welcome! Glad to meet some fellow Texans on here too! icon_smile.gif

I put the GeoPuppy on my profile and as my avatar last night. I must've done it 5 or 6 times. Each time it said it worked.....but I would log out and then back on and still no GeoPuppy Avatar! It did appear on my profile right away. I finally gave up. I sure glad to see that GeoPup somehow did appear on here today....I don't know how that happened though as I haven't been on here since last night! I have the GeoPup on my desk top ...he's animated...he wiggles and his tongue wags....too cute!

In what area are you located? We're in the Central Texas area. Also, how long have you been geocaching? Any helpful tips for a couple of rookies? (I prefer "rookies" to "newbies" LOL!)

Thanks again for making us feel at home here!

Jenny & Randy

Hey Payroll!

I am on the west side of Atlanta myself. We have a regular event cache each month and the one this month is up by Buford Dam and Lake Lanier. It is going to be something else. Snakes and BBQ -- what a combo! I hope you can make it too mrmnjewel. Feel free to look at the cache page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=80538

Check out our web site as well and there is a link to our forums too. www.ggaonline.org I'm sure some people will be going to caches after the meeting so you could tag along then. You can meet a lot of cachers at this meeting too. Welcome to geocaching, your hooked and can't get away now!

mtn-man:

Thanks for the message. I've already made plans to attend the meeting and hope to bring my wife and daughter as well. After I told my wife about the snakes, though, I'm not sure she wants to come. icon_smile.gif

Hoping to get some feedback/opinions on best GPS for me. I KNOW, everyone will have opinions about what is best, but I hope that I can take all of the information and condense it into information that'll help me make a decision. (That is, if I haven't already purchased one by the time the meeting takes place)

The good news is that my wife is already getting interested in the hobby as well, especially after reading about the caches specifically for kids items that we can let our 3 y.o. participate in.

Erik, I still haven't given up! Your hints have been great and I now know that I'm close, so now I just need to open my eyes and FIND the thing. Maybe this weekend if I can work around my other plans. (Update: Found it on the evening of 7/23 after completing the hunt for "Dude, where's my car?" Finally!)

Looking forward to putting faces to the usernames at the meeting. Hopefully I'll find some others in the East/Northeast Atlanta area to go on some hunts with while there.. If not, I still expect to hook up with mrmnjewel at some tome to coordinate some hunts together.

Regards,

- Mark

[This message was edited by Strapped-4-Cache on July 24, 2003 at 04:35 AM.]

There are a few cachers over here on the East side.

I won't name any names to protect the innocent :-)

Just ask around at the next meeting and put names with faces.

I got comments on the Sportrak series as I had one.

It worked ok, I just felt the keys were awkward to use when entering in names/descriptions.

A friend at work bought a Meridian and I knew I had to switch.

I sold the Sportrak to my brother (who doesn't cache) and got a Meridian Yellow. Works great for me. Upgraded later with an SD card and detailed maps.

Kenneth

Lawrenceville cacher here! When I've got some free time on the weekends or evenings I'm planning on going caching (been busy the past couple of weeks). Feel free to send me an email whenever you're going and we'll go find some and get both of our numbers up. There's still plenty of them on this side of town that I haven't found yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

To jrja_grl - Y'all get busy and get some caches hidden in Walton county. It's wide open and beggin' for some caches. I've been wanting to get one out there for over a year, but can't seem to find a park, monument, scenic vista, trail, etc. to put one in. Maybe y'all know the territory better.

And to Strapped-4-cache - Try the GGA forums on ggaonline.org to hook up with a caching partner. My guess is that more local cachers read the forums there than at geocaching.com.

Good luck to all you "noobs"!

jarja_grl: Looking forward to getting to know lots of folks at the upcoming meeting. I expect my family will be setting up several future hunts while there.

Aksor+Raskol: Thanks for the info. I'll post a note on that forum if I have little to no luck hooking up with folks soon. Honestly, I've received lots of responses, both public and private. I just have to start making time to get the hunts organized now! icon_smile.gif Hopefully I'll see you at the meeting as well.

S-4-C