Placing Caches

LoriDarlin

The only limiting factor is your ability to maintain them. As a cache owner, you are responsible to make sure your caches dont turn into geo-litter. If you feel comfortable with that, keep right hiding and the rest of us will seek em out :blink: .

I have about 60 active caches. That is pretty much my limit, as many are long walks to reach. If someone is planting a lot of 1/1's, they could probably handle more. I try to get to my caches once or twice a year, no matter what and will respond promptly to reported problems. That's the key.

There are some people for whom 2 caches are too many. You certainly aren't going to make people mad if you place quality caches and take care of them. In fact you'll probably become a local hero :blink: .

Edited by briansnat

As previously stated maintenace is the real factor in owning a cache. Wheather it be a virtual, which requires a polite EMail back. And taking care of the environment and swag with the traditionals. One thing that can be done is even send an EMail to a traditional finder, I'll usually do it with a newcomer and welcome them to this crazy world of caching, treat them like a friend and you'll have a friend indeed.

Like they said -- as long as you can maintain all of them, there is really no limit. I now have about 30, and for now that is my limit, but others seem able to keep many more. One thought I recently have had is to take some of my early ones off line, to open up those places for others to put out new caches. I notice that after several months, most local geocachers have found all of the caches, and then they just sit there without much action.