At What Quantity Would You Lose Interest?

At what quantity would you lose interest?

How many caches are enough?

What is the magic # you want to reach?

Are you driven solely by the robotic cachers around you to keep on going?

Is 1000 really an achievement?

Are you tiring of the pace?

Will you still be caching in 3 years from now?

I will probably tire of the forums long before I tire of caching. It's hard to say exactly when it will happen, if it ever does. I have enjoyed many hobbies, and would have sworn I would be participating in them for the rest of my life. But things change. If caching reached a point of stagnation somehow, my interest might slip a little.

Edited by Bloencustoms

Because geocaching is a small, but fun part of my life, I have no goals or self imposed limits, nor do I see myself burning out, or tiring of the sport.

I have witnessed people getting burned out after 300, 500, 1,000 and more finds. I'm sure if I hunted caches at that rate, I'd be burned out too. Therefore I'm content to bag a cache every now and then and maybe a few more when on vacation. Heck, I've been doing this since 2001 and have as many finds as some people have had in one day.

Anyway, I get much more pleasure out of hiding caches than I do finding them, so (to paraphrase Geo Ho), as long as they keep on cachin', I'll keep on stashin'.

I don't think I can answer the first question. I've picked up a good amount in about 8 months (360), and it hasn't begun to lose interest yet.

I still can't get enough. I enjoy every milestone but I am really looking forward to 1000. I don't know when I'll hit it and I'm not really in a rush. After that I don't think I would slow down but who knows. I like the pace I'm going at right now and I'm not tired of it. If it gets to that point I'll change thing up. By that I mean maybe I'll go for fewer caches but more difficult ones, or I might pick up the pace. What ever I'm feeling at the time is what I'll do.

Caching in 3 years? I sure hope so.

Edited by JMBella

That is a question I have asked myself several times.

Usually it is when I am in some weird spot wondering just why I am doing this. After all, It is just a film can/ammo can/tupperware stuffed under a log/in a rockpile/in a stump over looking a lake/waterfall/river/valley vista/ocean overlook.

More then likely, I will be standing somewhere I would never ever have gone at any other time in my life on purpose. And it would have been a lot cheaper to just have gone to McDonald's/dollar store/flea market and bought the happymeal/knick knack/painted rock then went home and kicked back and watched some travel show/PBS documentary/NG explorer while sucking down a soda/beer/bottled water.

But for right now, I am still into the challange mode. I want to see if I am up to the challange to be able to out think the person who hid the cache. I want to look at different things and go places I would not know about without this game. I want to see these area's that people have found interesting enough to say to their friends, "Hey, you just gotta see the place we went to today."

And The People. How can you play this game for very long without getting to know the people your running around with? Event caches are getting to be better then some of the cache hunts. If I can keep in contact with most of the people I have meet through this game and continue to be able to call them friends, then I have completed something very special.

True, you might never ever meet any of the people your chatting with in the forums. True, you might never ever hunt any of their caches. But, This game has turned into more then just a giant game of hide and seek. It is bringing people from all walks of life together on equal terms. Where besides an event cache would you ever get "blue collar" and "white collar" people together sharing a pizza and pitcher of beer talking about ammo cans/film cans/tupperware that have eluded them".

Man, I can ramble on.

Sorry.

I guess I would have to say that at this point, 1100 + finds, I am not sure what the "number" will be.

logscaler.

Knowing that would ruin the fun of getting there.

50 - Everything else is gravy.

No

For me... not yet.

My pace is just fine with me.

Are you kidding me? I can't even tell what I'm going to do a week from now! :blink:

:bad:

I don't know, it would not be based on quantity I think.

same as above I guess, I don't know.

I don't have one.

No. I don't think there are any robotic cachers in my area. If there were, they would not drive me. I am driven to cache because I like it.

Yeah, I think it is. I don't aim for it and am a LONG way from that, but think it is cool.

No, I don't have a pace. Good thing since there are not a ton of caches around here and I'm saving many for good hiking weather!

I hope so!

I've found all the caches are handy within my local area. Since then i've found fewer and fewer caches, but have enjoyed revisiting found caches to get and move TBs. I also placed two new caches. (winter has had some effect too)

I really wish there was a rating system becasue there are many times i'm looking for an adventure and only get park'n'cache quicky.

So for me... It isn't about the #'s it is more about the distance i need to travel to the cache and the innovation of the person that placed it.

Clements Cacher

Ratings have been discussed before and rejected due to their subjectivity and potential for abuse.

The best way to judge the adventure level of a cache is the terrain/difficulty numbers and reading old logs (if you want more detail). Ideally, the description in the cache page should give you an idea of what you will be in for.

*oops, threadjack... my apologies CZ! :blink: *

Edited by New England n00b

I am in it strictly for the fun. The only challenge is to myself. That is why I do not log any caches found. I would do so if numbers were no longer posted. When I was in about 4th grade, the boys used to have contests in the rest room at school, to see who could pee the highest on the wall. I thought that was silly then, and I cannot see the difference between that and the people who went to a certain city and "bagged" 301 caches in 6 days (72 in one day).

I will quit when I decide to, not when I hit some mythical "magic number".

Now that I've found someone to cache with, it just keeps getting better. I've hiked state parks and greenspaces alone for decades. I stopped a couple of years ago, after a bout of viral encephalitis that my doctor said was likely from a misquito bite picked up along the Ohio River bottomland. That bug kicked my butt but good, and I decided to stay indoors for a time. Then I put on lots of weight, with all the trimmings, and decided I needed to get back on the trail last year. Everything's got risks, but obesity has better odds of doing me in than anything I might encounter on a trail.

Then I discovered caching, which just adds a new dimension to an old past time, so I don't see me getting bored with it. I'm quite sure I'll still be slogging muddy trails and creekbeds for many years to come. Stats don't meant too much to me, though I was pleased with myself when I bagged my 100th cache last weekend. I don't guess there's a magic number. Exercise is really the main point for me, and I'd much rather be in the woods that tromping around a mall or a treadmill.

I will probably tire of the forums long before I tire of caching. It's hard to say exactly when it will happen, if it ever does. I have enjoyed many hobbies, and would have sworn I would be participating in them for the rest of my life. But things change.

Ditto.

I already grew tired of the forums... so I took some time away.

I came back today after an abscence from the forums because I saw a

launch announcement for GPS satellite number 50, and I posted it

thinking some people might find it interesting.

One person had followed up in the thread when I checked back

(about half an hour later).

Then, when I went to see what was going on in the thread,

it was gone.

I have to assume that TPTB killed the thread.

If that's the case, the forums have nothing left for me.

I want a forum where topics are allowed some degree of freedom

to be peripheral to the main subject, and if that's not what the forums

are about, I have no problem with that... it just isn't what I'm after.

If I loose interest, it would probably not be determined by numbers.

I have enough right now, but I will continue to cache.

I have found 113. The magic number is currently 114.

No. I am driven by energy from within.

Yes. So is 1, 10, 100, 500, 3,000, etc. And in another light, 1,000 is an accomplishment just as living to the age of 50, or 70 is an accomplishment.

No. When I tire of the pace, I simply slow down.

I expect so. Will you?

Some interesting questions that are tough to answer. B)B)

Anyway, I get much more pleasure out of hiding caches than I do finding them, so (to paraphrase Geo Ho), as long as they keep on cachin', I'll keep on stashin'.

That's quite a good point. I enjoy other cachers comments, logs and especially picture on the caches I have planted.

MarcB

I'll go back and look again.

Was the server down for awhile today?

I had the message thread bookmarked, and it wouldn't come up,

so I went to the top of the forum I posted it in and lookes at all

of the recent topics w/o seeing it.

Hmmm. B)B)

... Yup, it is still there (sorta). Actually, it's Here now.

It got combined with a duplicate post.

146103_3900.jpg

Doesn't look like there was a lot of interest (which is what

I expected... sort of an interesting read but not a discussion generator)

Thanks.

Edited by Mark 42

Getting back on topic...

I started to get into the numbers game... I was pretty eager and

worked hard to get my first FTF. Since that time, I have hardly done

any caching. Just too busy with real life right now. FTF only mildly

interests me right now. I've sorta gotten into a phase where I just

want a simple traditional cache that isn't super challenging, but takes

a bit of a walk in a nice area worth the trip to see.

That may change. I'm inactive right now, and later I may acquire

a taste for puzzles and multis. I would like to do a night cache,

and was supposed to work with AJetpilot on one, but just couldn't

find any time B)

I haven't quit, and I did actually do some caching sorta... I went

to a local geocache event, and I went and found one of my caches

that turned up missing for awhile (and made a better device to

obscure it from view now that summer is coming and traffic

will increase in the area). I also did the Yellow Jeep Fever cache.

And, tomorrow we are looking at a sailboat... an old sailboat..

and I'm sure you can guess what that will do to my non-existant

"free time"...

But eventually I'll get back to caching. There are a lot of new ones in

my area.

Geocaching, like a lot of things in my life it seems, kind of rotates on the "able to do it now "scale. B) I enjoy getting out in the fresh air and the "hunt". I have not went out geocaching in over a year due to some health problems and life problems in general. Now that my life is not so chaotic I hope to get out and enjoy the spring weather.

I like playing with my gadget, walking in the woods, noticing a few strands of fur caught in the brambles and trying to figure out what left it there. I try to examine any animal tracks and see if I can figure out what animal left them and which way they went.

I don't think I will tire of it any time soon. I may have to lay it down for a while, as I have till now, but I still carry my GPS with me hoping I will find a few minutes to go out.

Peace,

Raven