New "my Cache Page"

Jeremy

I haven't really looked at the pages but noticed right away that the DNFs say that I *couldn't* find the cache. In reality, most of the caches I could find the cache I simply didn't for various reasons. 'Couldn't find' seems so taunting.

The format is nice, but the functionality is just okay. I really miss some of the information from the ''old my cache'' page.

1) Where are "my caches" on the ''my cache" page? To see a list of the caches that I own, I now need to go to my profile, then click on the stats tab, and then click into each different cache type that I own (individually)! This adds 3+ clicks to get the information that I used frequently on the old page. If it is not going to listed here, could we have a link to a page that will list all of the caches and travel bugs that we own?

2) The recent log limitation is okay, but I miss the ability to click a link and list them all on one page. The one page result allowed me to do a IE 'find' search on the resulting web page.

3) The calendar looks nice, and I'm sure its functionality will grow on me. When I click on the "less than" symbol to go to a previous month, the "logs for this month" box to the left of the calendar should be filled with the logs for the month in the calendar (if possible).

I echo that the look of the new page is an improvement. Hopefully, some of the functionality that has been lost with the new design will be brought back. Thanks for your hard work.

I miss one thing: In the old page was there a small thing in the right upper corner where "Filter finds" where. The thing I miss is "List all caches in X" where X was the country of the cacher, in our case Sweden.

If I wants to list all the caches in Sweden, must I since today go to /seek and then scroll in the list until Sweden shows. It was easier before...

It's an improvement and, I believe, a very nice lay-out.

I do hope we'll be able to access the "old my cache page" data that provides the index of all the logs in our record. I use that complete list quite often. The current link, is it's intended to be left accessible, is fine with me. Otherwise, something akina to what's on the travel bug page - "List travel bugs you own or have found" that refers to the caches you have logged would be nice.

I too don't believe we need all that recent log text and the fix that Jeremy offered sounds like an excellent adjustment for that element.

"All caches in your state" is a nice feature that I'd like to see maintained, I've heard some talk about refining that to "all caches in your region" but a pocket query using local zip codes pretty much takes care of that so IMHO that'd be of little value for the effort.

I too would like to be able to select a tab which links to a specific calendar by month rather than having to page through an entire series of calendar pages. Inasmuch as calendars also run through years, tabs for the year on each calendar in file might also prove useful.

This new "my cache page" is a credible piece of work and, with the fine tuning that is certain to occur, it can only get better.

Thanks Jeremy and crew...... we love ya. :blink:

edit to include more details re: "my old cache page" data......

Edited by gallahad
I haven't really looked at the pages but noticed right away that the DNFs say that I *couldn't* find the cache. In reality, most of the caches I could find the cache I simply didn't for various reasons. 'Couldn't find' seems so taunting.

Then perhaps logging a note, rather than a DNF, would better serve the purpose of the log? Personally, under the circumstances you describe, I don't bother to log anything.

Skimmed through, didn't see this suggestion:

Can upcoming event caches in my area (either a certain radius or within my state/region) be listed as dates on the calendar? This would make an easier way for me to find them quickly and see their relative approach in time to the current date than the state listings...and if they were radius-based, I wouldn't have to check every state around me (since the east coast is so border dense).

Then perhaps logging a note, rather than a DNF, would better serve the purpose of the log? Personally, under the circumstances you describe, I don't bother to log anything.

I didn't really describe any circumstances so not sure how you can infer how they should be logged.

But the main point is that when you log a visit the choice is DID not find. It should be consistent. Either DID not find on the My cache page or COULD not find on the log your visit page.

On my own "my cache page" the text (in the list of caches) for

"2/22/2004 You found..." is compressed so that the "4" in 2004 and the "Y" in You run together and blur the text. Wondering if this is unique to my own cache page or if it's a product of the work in progress.

... the DNFs say that I *couldn't* find the cache. In reality, most of the caches I could find the cache I simply didn't for various reasons. 'Couldn't find' seems so taunting.

I agree. After all, it's a DNF, not a CNF. B)

Edited by Shunra
Just a thought.  It would be cool if FUTURE event caches near my home coordinates would show up on that new calander.

Yep - that's the only use of a calendar I can imagine.

Heh, that's what I get for waiting an hour after I clicked "add reply" before I submitted my comments...

Good to see I'm not the only one thinking about this too.

What happened to the "Search for nearest caches in -your state here-" which actually showed the newest caches in the state on order by date placed. That was my most used feature of all.

I do like not having to see all my travel bugs. It was getting a little much for me.

Looks good on the first impression!

The calendar can be a mighty tool with some minor additions:

First of all, my main concern was allready captured (JamieZ i think):

If hitting the << or >> button I expected to move on to the specific month and then seeing the entries of that specifig month, not of the actual day

My suggestion would be to move from month to month on each << or >> button press and showing the entries of that speciific month. (all or 15, switch selectable)

And aselection box for month and year would be helpfull to browse directly to a specific entry.

(Edited this, I had something wrongly in mind)

And of course an additional, then seldom used "show all" button would do the job, if in doubt what you were searching.

Most of the time, when I use the "show all" function of the old page its because I search for an old entry. most time I know roughly the month of that entry, but that list must be displayed fully.

Using the new function, its really no fun toggling to that old entry. (rickyrich described it allready)

Aaand another little comment from a non-US: Please add a "1st day of week"-selection: In some region of the world (Europe), the week starts always on a Monday, not a Sunday.

Thanks for that great work done so far!

Wulf

Edited by DocW

I love new stuff, but burying the important information is a bummer. It now takes a lot of work to get info that used to be on one straight-forward, clean page.

I couldn't find a way to customize it or my request would be moot. I've adjusted my hotlinks to pull up the old page, as the info I need isn't available on the new one readily!

Priority to me:

1) Caches owned w/how many days since last find

2) Log history (logtype, cache name, date I found it)

On the old page, the section with my caches was only about 9399 bytes! Via the new, you'd have to call up the 40,000+ byte page to click the tab of ANOTHER page (mine's currently 47,267 bytes) to click the link bringing up "seek/nearest.aspx?u-RJFerret" which runs 42,363 bytes!

OUCH! I preferred the one click for 9k to the several clicks transmitting about 129k!

Thank you for including the link to the old--I've updated my bookmark accordingly!

I'd still request the ability to customize the "My" page. All these gimmicks are glitzy, but impractical and inefficient.

Sorry to be another nay-sayer, but making it more complex while removing functionality isn't an improvement. Simplifying things is an improvement!

I'd provide the default page with User name/email/account info/profile links topmost, caches owned next, then log history (which in it's new narrow column is now multi-line instead of single-line on my browser), with link to list all logs without needing to enable javascript.

Unfortunately, I'll continue using the old and not accepting travel bugs--please don't get dismayed, I'm sure the revision will be optimal.

Thanks for listening,

Randy

Guess I should throw in my own $0.02 w.r.t. suggestions for the site:

1) The calendar and "My Logs" display dates for caches I've found, but not for caches I've hidden; minor issue, but this'd be nice to include.

2) I'm going to vote with a number of folks on the "Caches I Own" issue -- it'd be nice if the Geocaches page had some sort of sub-tabs for (a) logs, (B) caches I own, © caches I've found. Maybe a block on the side with stats (number of caches owned, number in approval queue, number found...)

3) The Travelbugs page could be organized similarly

4) It'd be nice if all the new pages kept the navigation banner (Quickview / Watchlist / etc.) on the top (the detail pages don't do this). Currently, when I dive into anything detailed (say, list of caches I own), I have to hit "back" a time or two before I can go to another top-level tab.

Keep up the good work,

rsgeek

While the new page looks nice, it seems all the important information is buried. I'm sure I will get used to it. I have to resist going back to the old page and give this one a chance.

One request: Filter out archived caches from my list of caches, like it used to be. I don't need to see all the caches just the active ones. Make seeing the archived caches an option like before.

Thanks!

Looks nice but we lost too much functionality!

Bring back the old my cache page!

1) Quick View needs to have a quick view of My Caches, Travel Bugs, Watchlist, and Benchmarks in *addition* to My logs.

BRING BACK "My hidden caches" to the "My Cache Page"!!!! Very useful info to be on My Cache Page.

2) Quick View "My Logs" needs a link to view ALL of My Logs! BRING THAT BACK!

3) Bring back "View your profile as others see you"

4) Lose the calendar or at least show an ENTIRE month at a time. The old "Show all logs" is MUCH better than this calendar thing.

Amtraker

Looks nice but we lost too much functionality!

Bring back the old my cache page!

1) Quick View needs to have a quick view of My Caches, Travel Bugs, Watchlist, and Benchmarks in *addition* to My logs.

BRING BACK "My hidden caches" to the "My Cache Page"!!!! Very useful info to be on My Cache Page.

2) Quick View "My Logs" needs a link to view ALL of My Logs! BRING THAT BACK!

3) Bring back "View your profile as others see you"

4) Lose the calendar or at least show an ENTIRE month at a time. The old "Show all logs" is MUCH better than this calendar thing.

Amtraker

Just about everything you asked to bring back is still there. Look at it again

Here's how I had been using My Cache Page:

- Check to make sure that I correctly logged all the caches that I visited today. [Doesn't work if I visited more than 15 caches, but with one extra click, I can click on the calendar to get that list. I do like the feature that shows the entire log, so that I can double-check for typos!]

- Read new logs on caches that I recently found. [i can still do this with the new layout, but only with some arbitrary selection of 15 logs...not even the most recent 15 logs, what's up with that? Also, I could use the Watchlist to do this, but then I'd always have to be figuring out which ones I want to stop watching.]

- Update status or edit one of my owned caches. [Now, it takes AT LEAST two more clicks to get to a list of caches AND they don't all show on the same page anymore.]

- Check for new logs on recent DNFs to see whether any clues have been added. [Only works if DNF is one of "max 15 logs"...probably what I really want to see is a list of DNFs over the last month or two that I still haven't found and which haven't been archived.]

- Download a list of all my logs. I do this occasionally and save the file as HTML. It's useful for searching in a text editor sometimes. [No way to do this...probably what I really want is a way to search by name for a cache, but only searching through caches on which I've submitted a log. ("I'm trying to find that cache in Pleasanton that I visited last year which has 'ball' in its name.")]

So, basically (yay) I don't have to stare at that long list of TBs, but (boo) the page is pretty much useless; so now I have to go back and use the old version anyway. I'm kind of surprised that some of the approvers who actually go caching didn't stumble on some of these usage issues. Or did they not get a chance to preview the changes? Or were they just so dazzled by the cool new look that they didn't consider the functionality? (Yes, it does look much prettier!)

Edited by kablooey

After reading about the new changes to the "My Cache Page" function, I decided to check it out. I believe that all of the functions in the Upper Right Corner of that page have a common possible fault.

When accessing "Geocaches", "(Filter Finds)", "Benchmarks", "Update Home Coordinates" and "Lookup/Email Another Player" functions, you cannot return to "My Cache Page" using the BACK button.

Using the BACK button returns you to the Sign-In Screen/Name and Password screen. Furthormore, if you click on the "My Cache Page" tab while at the Sign-In screen, you can get back to the "My Cache Page" screen.

I would like to see one function added to the systems as well. I would like to click on a line, somewhere within any cache page, so I may send a copy of a cache page to a friend. It could be interfaced with the standard "Lookup/Email Another Player" function

Fledermaus

When accessing "Geocaches", "(Filter Finds)", "Benchmarks", "Update Home Coordinates" and "Lookup/Email Another Player" functions, you cannot return to "My Cache Page" using the BACK button.

It works on mine OK. If I click back it returns to the NEW my cache page.

Just a few minor things...

I'm using Netscape 7, a browser that generally displays things properly, and the dates are slightly overlapping the "You found" lines in the My Logs This Month table, making it somewhat hard to read.

Below the calendar, it says our monthly membership will renew on April 29th. That can't be right; we pay at the start of every month, and there will surely be an end of March/beginning of April payment coming soon unless we've somehow snuck a free month. Not that I'd complain about that.

Edited by Kite and Hawkeye

I apologize if someone else noted this I didn't see it. I just noticed that on "My logs this month" list that the date there seems to be the date I entered the log not the date I made the log for. Confusing.

Also, have to agree that the 15 log limit sucks. I like to use that list to make sure I logged all my caches. For the occasional 15+ day or weekend it would be harder to do that.

I like the looks and features of the new page. The only problem I am having is the link that use to be there along with Filter Finds that would give me all the caches in NY. This was very useful in looking at upcoming Event Caches as they were always on the top of the list. At the present time I am going to the Hide/Seek a Cache and checking by State. This gives the same results with a couple of extra steps. Is the link I am referring to on the new page and I just missed it or is this the way I will have to search for event caches in the future?

1) I love it.

2) "Show: Needs Archived, Write note, Didn't find it, Attended, Found it, All Logs" seems to need a bit of work. It fails to find anything. Of course at the speed you work, that's probably already fixed.

3) I also miss the "latest caches in your home state" link although given a choice I'd rather have it replaced by a "latest caches within X miles of your home co-ordinates". (with X being 60 or 100 or 120 or something like that. I'm not picky.) This is mainly because I live on the border of two states and it seems to be a bit silly to be notified of caches a day's drive away but not one 5 miles away.

The new page is OK, and has some nice features.

But I really, really, really need a way to get a compact listing of the caches I have hidden. Using the built-in search feature means scrolling through page after page of caches, instead of having them all on one page. Very difficult.

Quickly, some features (re)added:

1. Filter by finds for travel bugs, geocaches, and benchmarks, including the "show all" link

2. Archived caches you are watching are now red with the line striking it through.

3. Search by your home state has been re-added.

I'll add a cache monitoring page and get it implemented on Monday or Tuesday. In the meantime feel free to use the old page.

The recent changes have made me a believer. I like the ability to filter just my DNFs, or notes, or Finds or other...

What I'd like to see on this same page is a total. There doesn't seem to be anywhere (except our profile) where we can see how many logs/finds we have. Now that the different log types are available separately, could there also be totals associated with those lists?

I like that the "found it," "didn't find it" text is after the cache name. Alignment looks much better that way. Think you could fix the 16 vs 15 pixel thing on the smileys?

Once again, thanks Jeremy for the quick response to feedback. This major overhaul has gone through its own major overhaul to please those of us that have spoken up. That's pretty cool.

Jamie

In the benchmarks page when you click any one of the log veiw options...

Show: Found it, Didn't find it, All Logs

it shows that option but then the links dont work. to get around to the other log types after that, they appear to not be links anymore... it works on the other pages though

Looks great. I don't mind at all clicking the caches tab to drill down to more info - keeps the quick view less cluttered. However, on the quick view it seems the logs are showing the date the log was entered, not the date the log was visited. The calendar looks like it is using the right dates. Can that be fixed?

Thanks for all the hard work!

Sorry, Jeremy. I believe I spoke too soon when I asked to have the "old cache page" list of all logged finds left intact. Now that I've looked more closely, I see the "All Logs" on the "Geocaching Details" page handles that aspect beautifully.

My learning curve seems to run shallow and long.

Thanks again to you and the amazing groundpeak crew for getting this project off the drawing board and into production. It doesn't get any better than this.

Those nearby cache lists (especially the benchmark list) is a great feature. I believe the fast and easy access to the benchmark list will increase interest in the aspect of our sport.

Edited by gallahad

Okay, I lied. After using the new page a bit I do have a request.

I love the page but the top 1/3 of the page is not packed with my most important things.

I think that if you are a premium member, it would be great to have a easy to get to list of your saved queries so you can just run them and get results right from the my page.

I also think a quick search field would be useful.. It could be a text box with a drop down next to it that lists cache, user, waypoint and a go button so you can jump to a person place or thing without having to go to a bunch of deeper pages.

Account infomation and profile are right in the middle of a bunch of white space and I don't use them that often.

I agree with the previous folks that a more detailed list of caches I own and stats on them would be very interesting. I may care more about my caches than logs I have posted as far as what is in my face every time I go to My page.

I look forward to custom lists...

If you ever have brain storming sessions let me know B)