Feature Request On Print Friendly Page

Sparky-Watts

I've tried in vain to search for anything like this, so here goes:

I'd like to have the ability when making a cache page print-friendly to also eliminate pictures as well as logs. I just spent quite a while printing out some cache pages, and several of them have pics on them that burned a lot of paper, and a heck of a lot more ink. None of the pictures were necessary for finding the cache (most were virtuals), and some were actually quite large, covering half the first page.

Is this a possibility to remove pictures when making pages print-friendly?

Sparky,

I can't answer your question directly, but I have a workaround.

What I do is get the PQ of my caching area, which already has no images. I manipulate the caches however I want using Watcher (GSAK would probably to it, too) and then run it through Fuzzy's GPXdoc which is designed to make a text file for uploading to a PDA.

Well, I don't have a PDA, instead I print out that text file. In addition, I usually print two pages per sheet, double-sided.

What I get is the text-only version of each cache. Bare miniumum. I can usually print about 25-40 caches per sheet of paper. No pics, no logs. I guess the newer version of GPXdoc includes the logs, so you have your choice.

As I typically don't need more than 25-40 caches on any single caching trip, it means that I rarely need more than one sheet of paper, even for a long day of caching.

Jamie

P.S. Good to see a non-drivel post from you! Welcome! <_<

I've tried in vain to search for anything like this, so here goes:

I'd like to have the ability when making a cache page print-friendly to also eliminate pictures as well as logs. I just spent quite a while printing out some cache pages, and several of them have pics on them that burned a lot of paper, and a heck of a lot more ink. None of the pictures were necessary for finding the cache (most were virtuals), and some were actually quite large, covering half the first page.

Is this a possibility to remove pictures when making pages print-friendly?

Edit->preferences->Privacy & Security->Images->Image Acceptance Policy.

Set it to "Do not load any images"

should do the trick for Mozilla. If you're using an inferiour browser, you may or may not be able to adapt...

I am using an "inferior" browser, nor did I take the time to test it... since I'm not really interested in removing pics. I already have my solution, as I posted above.

My question is, won't the browser still put a place-holder where the image should be? That won't solve Sparky's problem of using up a lot of paper.

Jamie

My question is, won't the browser still put a place-holder where the image should be? That won't solve Sparky's problem of using up a lot of paper.

Jamie

Nope. The images Go Away, exactly as one expects.

Interesting, but not much help at this point. I can't do PQ's, and I use Netscape. I'll play with Netscape, though, to see if that's an option (seems like it may be). I don't worry so much about the large amount of paper, trees are still plentiful and paper is cheap. It's all the ink that gets wasted that costs too much money.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Jamie,

I've made a couple of non-drivel threads already, but you must not have been paying attention....either that or you were afraid to read them! :blink::lol::bad:

Wow...Sparky's second "real" thread B)

I suppose I should say something on-topic, but I'm not sure where to start B)

Oh, okay...When you're on the cache page hit CTRL-A then CTRL-C. Open Notepad and hit CTRL-V. Edit out a few blank lines, Then press CTRL-P to print it. It's all there with no pictures and it's even all in one font size!

Wow...Sparky's second "real" thread B)

I suppose I should say something on-topic, but I'm not sure where to start B)

Oh, okay...When you're on the cache page hit CTRL-A then CTRL-C. Open Notepad and hit CTRL-V. Edit out a few blank lines, Then press CTRL-P to print it. It's all there with no pictures and it's even all in one font size!

Wow, the sax-totin' smurf-puppet actually had some useful information! I'll try it! B)

should do the trick for Mozilla.  If you're using an inferiour browser, you may or may not be able to adapt...

Hey, it's the 21st century. No need to do all that. Just install the Diggler MozDev extension. If you're not familiar with MozDev, you should look into it. It's got tons of extensions to add new capabilities to Mozilla and FireFox (and Netscape, too).

The main purpose of Diggler is to easily allow you navagate up to parent directories in a URL. But it also has some other nice features, such as the ability to set the image download options, and turn on/off pop-ups without having to go into the Preference dialog:

3608_10800.gif

Some other extensions I can't live without:

Optimoz - This is what is know as Mouse Gestures in other browsers. Instead of pressing buttons and menu options to navagate, you simply hold down a mouse button, and make a simple mouse movement. You can even open and close tabs with it.

Linky - Let's you, for example open every link on a page in new tabs (or browser windows). Or only those links that you've selected. Or only all image links. Or...

MultiScroll - Great for moving around long web pages. It can give you the round Microsoft style auto-scroll. But even better, click again and you see a mini version of the entire page, with an outline of the what you're currently viewing. You can move this image around, the browser instantly repositions itself to match. It's pretty CPU intensive, so you can set it to use a wireframe version.

Tabbrowser Extensions - This one's amazing. The number of options it adds to tabbed browsing is just amazing. For example, you can set different colors for tabs, set auto-refresh times for individual tabs (great for watching ebay auctions), drag-n-drop to reorder tabs, and even turn javascript on or off for individual tabs.

should do the trick for Mozilla.  If you're using an inferiour browser, you may or may not be able to adapt...

Hey, it's the 21st century. No need to do all that. Just install the Diggler MozDev extension. If you're not familiar with MozDev, you should look into it. It's got tons of extensions to add new capabilities to Mozilla and FireFox (and Netscape, too).

The main purpose of Diggler is to easily allow you navagate up to parent directories in a URL. But it also has some other nice features, such as the ability to set the image download options, and turn on/off pop-ups without having to go into the Preference dialog:

3608_10800.gif

Some other extensions I can't live without:

Optimoz - This is what is know as Mouse Gestures in other browsers. Instead of pressing buttons and menu options to navagate, you simply hold down a mouse button, and make a simple mouse movement. You can even open and close tabs with it.

Linky - Let's you, for example open every link on a page in new tabs (or browser windows). Or only those links that you've selected. Or only all image links. Or...

MultiScroll - Great for moving around long web pages. It can give you the round Microsoft style auto-scroll. But even better, click again and you see a mini version of the entire page, with an outline of the what you're currently viewing. You can move this image around, the browser instantly repositions itself to match. It's pretty CPU intensive, so you can set it to use a wireframe version.

Tabbrowser Extensions - This one's amazing. The number of options it adds to tabbed browsing is just amazing. For example, you can set different colors for tabs, set auto-refresh times for individual tabs (great for watching ebay auctions), drag-n-drop to reorder tabs, and even turn javascript on or off for individual tabs.

Cool....I'll have to check that out next week. Right now, I'm getting ready to head to my farm in eastern Kansas for an undetermined amount of time to live among the trees and coyotes. Probably snag a few caches while I'm out there, too......thanks for the tip, PS.

I tried smurf-boy's suggestion, and that works better than I expected....just text, nothing else.....cool! B)

Call me low tech, but I just simply cut and paste the text of the cache page into a Word document and print it out.

That's pretty much what "Sax" was saying,'cept using copy instead of cut.

Also,using Notepad is a lot quicker than using a Word doc,less crapola to load,quicker to print.

I started to write a bookmarklet to do this and then found one already:

http://www.felgall.com/javadom8.htm

If you click'n'drag the link which is about halfway down the page (remove images) into your links bar on either netscape/mozilla or IE it will install a bookmarklet for you.

When you are on a page and want to zap the images you just click it. Pazow! All gone. No additional applications required and it works cross platform.

It gives fits on some pages in Netscape but works fine on the printer friendly pages. Says there are frames in the regular site.

Anyway... another option.