Whats The Best Black And White ?

I really like my Meridian Platinum.

Bottom line: find some place that will let you play with one and look at the screens and get a 'feel' for the unit. Buy what you like, not what people tell you to like. IMHO, both Garmin and Magellan make quality GPS units, especially in the $200-$300 range (I'd advise anyone to stay away from low dollar anything).

with the option to upgrade to unlimited memory.

Leatherman to bad there ain't no such thing as unlimited memory. Thats like how the cell phone companys give you "unlimited" minutes or "unlimited" text mess. what a joke. There will always be a limit to everything except the mind :blink: ?

Leatherman to bad there ain't no such thing as unlimited memory. Thats like how the cell phone companys give you "unlimited" minutes or "unlimited" text mess. what a joke. There will always be a limit to everything except the mind  ?

Well, maybe not unlimited, but dadgum near close. More than anyone would ever really use anyway.

I dont think I need colr was looking at the garmin 76s. Any other suggestion 200-300 range

Well, I think there are two options here;

1) The Meridian Platinum. It's a bit big, but has every feature you'd want, including a very handy 3-axis compass (you can hold it at any angle whereas Garmin's you have to hold flat)

2) (What I have) A Garmin RINO. In my mind, much nicer than the equivilant eTrex (the 110/120/130 are roughly eTrex Yellow/Legend/Vista). I own a 120, and it has all the nice mapping/easy to use stuff of the Legend, but with a much better antenna. You can get a new RINO 120 for about US$200, and you end up with an FRS radio as well (which is excellent when you're out w/ a group).

1) The Meridian Platinum. It's a bit big, but has every feature you'd want, including a very handy 3-axis compass (you can hold it at any angle whereas Garmin's you have to hold flat)

Just to add. While the Meridian series is a bit big, I think the 76s is equal in size, and maybe even a little wider.

Edited by SBPhishy

Erwincomp has the Meridian Gold Travel pack for $339. It has 64 megs of memory, with the option to upgrade to unlimited memory. :blink:

I bought my Merigold Travelers Pack from Harmony Computers for under $297 including shipping. I also got a new 256mb SD card for $60 from eBay. Can't beat that deal.

Never mind. I see that it went up to $339 from the $285 they had listed about 3 weeks ago.

Edited by road_rascal
I bought my Merigold Travelers Pack from Harmony Computers for under $297 including shipping. I also got a new 256mb SD card for $60 from eBay. Can't beat that deal.

I just felt like gloating. I got my MeriGold Travelers Pack from compuplus for around 250 after the rebate. Sweet! :blink: