Identities

Team MJDJ

My family has the identity ELKKHunters. ELKK is each of our first initials. Individually, we are:

gunslinger711

4leafclover

peanut225

and turtle (although it will be YEARS before you see a log specifically from her, as she is pnly 3 years old.)

I did it that way so we can log "family" finds, and I have an accurate count of "my" finds, since I am the most active member of our family.

Edited by 4leafclover
Some people create what are known as "sock puppet" accounts. A sock puppet is merely another GC.com account with a different user name. People often use these when they dont want their true identity known.

It would also seem that while Sock Puppet accounts are officially proscribed by the authorities, See paragraph No. 9 here, they appear to be tolerated to a certain degree, as long as the puppeteers keep it civil and clean. The puppeteers' usually good sense of humor probably doesn't hurt their chances of being allowed to remain, either.

I have noticed that some of these individuals have a name as Mr.X (for instance). Then, I may notice "little bo peep" has placed a new cache.

When I check out the PROFILE of little bo peep, it shows up as Mr.X....how'd he do that?

I am able to set up another account, but it didn't work out the way I wanted it to!

I have noticed that some of these individuals have a name as Mr.X (for instance). Then, I may notice "little bo peep" has placed a new cache.

When I check out the PROFILE of little bo peep, it shows up as Mr.X....how'd he do that?

I am able to set up another account, but it didn't work out the way I wanted it to!

In the cache description when you post a cache there is a field for "Placed by" what you put there is what appears in the placed by section. When you click on the link though it takes you to the profile of who listed the cache.

All of my team's cache hides are done under the name of 'Team Yatta'. However, if you click on 'Team Yatta' it goes to my info page. We don't have an account under the team yatta name because we all like to log our own cache finds individually (we don't always hunt together).

And although we usually hide our caches together, they prefer for me to post the cache info and get approval.

It's not cheating, just the way we do things...and I guess a lot of other people do to? :blink:

Why is it that so many Cachers have SO MANY identities?

What is the point of this?

How is this accomplished?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've been here for some time and haven't noticed anything of the sort. Speaking for myself, I have one identity pretty much everywhere (just Google my name in Groups). I'm not aware of other geocachers with multiple identitys, other than some admins who choose to do their geocaching.com volunteer work under one account and log their finds under another.

Edited by briansnat
Why is it that so many Cachers have SO MANY identities?

What is the point of this?

How is this accomplished?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I've been here for some time and haven't noticed anything of the sort. Speaking for myself, I have one identity pretty much everywhere (just Google my name in Groups). I'm not aware of other geocachers with multiple identitys, other than some admins who choose to do their geocaching.com volunteer work under one account and log their finds under another.

I refer SPECIFICALLY to caches...there are many placed by individuals or groups that I've never heard of.

When checking out their PROFILES, their identity becomes obvious.

I don't know of any in HERE that have multiple identities.