Proper Etiquette

Nick_T

What's right, the stuff left by people visiting the cache is property of the owner of the cache or property of the cache? The way I see it is that if something is left by someone visiting in return for taking an item and the cache owner is good about keeping the cache restocked then if the owner decides he wants to keep the momentos it's OK.

What's ya'lls thoughts on this?

Nick T

That's a sticky wicket....I'm undecided. On one hand, I think it's poor etiquette to take an item from your own cache. If there's a particular sig item you want, you should just hope to find it in another cache. As far as other regular trade items, the same goes there, too.

On the other hand, if the cache owner is replenishing the cache with more items, I really don't see a problem with pulling out one that he likes, so long as he is replacing it with something equal or better.

There's my waffle answer for the hour......can I be any more undecided? <_<

I don't take any swag out of my own caches, but I do go grab a travel bug if I want it badly.

Grabbing a TB from your own cache is a different story. That's perfectly alright. I'd rather someone grab my TB from their own cache and get it moving (or take really cool pics of it saving lives <_< ) than have it sit for a long time.

I have rescued travel bugs from some of my harder caches when doing maintenance, so as to keep them moving.

I have cleaned out "junk" from caches when restocking them with new trade goods still in their original wrappers.

I have taken items specifically left for me by visitors, especially out-of-town visitors, who note in their log that the such-and-such doodad is a gift for the cache owner.

I have *occasionally*, like maybe 3 times total out of multiple maintenance trips to my 25 caches, taken a trade item that caught my eye. Two were Irish or Leprechaun-themed items, which I obviously collect, and one was a particularly nice keychain that was left in my keychain-themed cache. I shelled out well over $20 to stock the keychain cache with good swag, so I felt not a single pang of guilt when I returned with even more keychains, and took one in return.

I would not make it a regular habit to swipe nice items out of my own caches, EVEN if I left other nice items in return. My caches are not a personal Dollar Store for me, they are for other geocachers to enjoy.

Anybody got a problem with any of the above?

Personally, if I visit a cache that has signature items in them I leave them alone if they're identified as such. I feal that these items are property of the cache or its' owner because it was placed there in trade for an item that was placed there by the owner. I'm new to this game, only been out and found 2 caches so far, and maybe I'm looking at this in the wrong way. I've placed my first cache and its' had its' first visitor, and he left a signature item. Now with this being the first find on my first cache I'm going to take that item, probably put it on my bullitin board, this'en has a special meaning to me. Is this wrong? If I see and want to grab other signature items from my cache would this be wrong? I have a full list of what items I've placed in my cache posted on the ID page so folks know what to expect to find in there.

Not really trying to start a full fledge debate here, just want to know what's exceptable before I commit a cacheing fopah' (SP?).

Nick T

I think it's up to each cache owner. I mean, really, is some one going to put an item in a cache and say (or think) "Anyone can take this, EXCEPT the person who placed this cache."

Besides, how many cachers do you know of who do this specifically for the "loot"? (okay, any cacher over the age of 12, that is!)

I love having one signature item from eacher cacher I "know" particularly from the area I live in. I leave a sig item in every cache I visit, and I WANT people to take them. that way, they have something that is going to make them think of me.

Nick, as for the thing for your bulletin board, by all means, you should. IMO, anyway...

That is entirely up to the owner of the cache. There are no strict rules in this game -- you just have to do what you consider right based on your values. I generally do not take 'good' items out of my caches, but my son sometimes sees toys that he likes. If the cache is loaded with stuff, then there is not really a problem. HM

What's right, the stuff left by people visiting the cache is property of the owner of the cache or property of the cache? The way I see it is that if something is left by someone visiting in return for taking an item and the cache owner is good about keeping the cache restocked then if the owner decides he wants to keep the momentos it's OK.

Since the cache, in theory, is not abandoned, it and its contents are the property of the owner. In spirit, the contents are the property of the geocaching community. But if the owner decides to archive the cache and keep the contents, I don't think the geocaching community would begrudge the guykeeping a few broken McToys and other assorted trinkets.

Ok I'm a newbe and this is my first post, but here are my feelings.

I think that unless the owner is removing the cache from the game or discontinues it, when he takes something out he must put something in, just like anyone else. I would hope that if someone decides they don't want to be the owner anymore that they would ask if someone else wants to take over ownership. If no one want's to take over ownership then so be it. However he should then post the items from the cache and offer to either send or put the items in someone elses cache. After all most or all of the items that were there in the beginning are probably different.

What's ya'lls thoughts on this?

Nick T

Nope.

When you put items in a cache, you relinquish ownership of those items. What you're doing is pretty much on par with someone who revisits a cache they've already found to grab something they want.

I have *occasionally*, like maybe 3 times total out of multiple maintenance trips to my 25 caches, taken a trade item that caught my eye. Two were Irish or Leprechaun-themed items, which I obviously collect, and one was a particularly nice keychain that was left in my keychain-themed cache. I shelled out well over $20 to stock the keychain cache with good swag, so I felt not a single pang of guilt when I returned with even more keychains, and took one in return.

I would not make it a regular habit to swipe nice items out of my own caches, EVEN if I left other nice items in return. My caches are not a personal Dollar Store for me, they are for other geocachers to enjoy.

Anybody got a problem with any of the above?

no, not really.

My first cache that never got approved (Good thing too) was VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY hard to find and was placed in a dangerous area. So naturally I shelled out a few bucks for it. First finders prize was a leatherman, mag lite flashlight, compass, brand new cd (from the store, not homemade). and there was alot more where that came from. I reused the container and trade items for my first "real" cache (the one I still have). I think it cost a little over fifty bicks to place. So if I go on a maint. visit, and I add new items i might take something if I see fit. The money value in there now even with my restocking is lower than ten bucks! That's a big loss, so I'm not too worried if I take something as long as I trade.

If I ever have to remove it for some reason and I don't place another cache I see no problem keeping the items (I don't really know if I want them though) for my own use.

The cache has an owner, you "trade" items so what you left becomes the property of the cache, which is owned by someone. so therefore I OWN THOSE CHEAP TRINKETS! MINE, ALL MINE!!!!!

anyways, relax it's just a game!

Joe Smith