Booby Trapped Cache

JoeCthulhu

quote:
Originally posted by JoeCthulhu:

I'm new to Geocaching, and several people I've talked to said that they would be scared to open a cache for fear that it would be booby trapped.

Have something like this ever happened?

No. Occasionally, some prankster fills a cache with urine, feces, or some other messy stuff, but that is very, very rare.

Someone wanting to cause havoc and destruction would not go miles into the woods and wait days/weeks/months when leaving a suitcase unattended in an airport would bring almost immediate success.

wcgreen

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Boobys in a cache? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif WHERE! icon_eek.gif Hopefully they're both there. icon_razz.gif

I'll take this over to the complaint dept thread but I hate when someone only takes one booby and breaks up the pair. icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about someone doing that to a cache. Most of the rubber maid or tupperware caches you would know right away if something odd was going on since they are usually clear. Actually I don't worry about that at all.

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Boobys in a cache? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif WHERE! icon_eek.gif Hopefully they're both there. icon_razz.gif

I'll take this over to the complaint dept thread but I hate when someone only takes one booby and breaks up the pair. icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about someone doing that to a cache. Most of the rubber maid or tupperware caches you would know right away if something odd was going on since they are usually clear. Actually I don't worry about that at all.

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

Some terrorist has been putting thorns, poison ivy, disease-bearing mosquitoes and ticks, bee nests, and ankle-twisting rocks around caches in my area, ...

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

You forgot: Ditches, streams, spider webs (with and without spiders), low hanging branches, and (in the big city) cars, trucks, busses, and the ocassional Cop.

icon_wink.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

quote:

Some terrorist has been putting thorns, poison ivy, disease-bearing mosquitoes and ticks, bee nests, and ankle-twisting rocks around caches in my area, ...

You forgot: Ditches, streams, spider webs (with and without spiders), low hanging branches, and (in the big city) cars, trucks, busses, and the ocassional Cop.

icon_wink.gif

-Centaur

logo_small.jpg

quote:

I'm new to Geocaching, and several people I've talked to said that they would be scared to open a cache for fear that it would be booby trapped.

If anything like that would ever happen it would definately be posted at least in a log and most likely in a forum as well. We would be well informed of it rather quickly. And to the best of my knowledge nothing more than something that has smelled bad has ever been put into a cache. I haven't been caching long but I'm sure if someone had seen it happen everyone would know.

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

quote:

Lets see, there are about 35,000 caches out there and conservatively figure about 10 finds per cache (most have 15, 20 and up if they've been out any length of time). That's about 350,000 finds without a single known instance of a booby-trapped cache.

I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, but you're more likely to die in a car accident on the way to cache site than to become the victim of a booby trapped cache.

Geez, if this is the first thing the people that you talk to think of when you mention the sport, then maybe you should start hanging out with different people. Most people, when I describe Geocaching to them, either say "wow, sounds cool", or look at me like I'm a geek. Not one has come up with the booby-trapped cache scenario.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

or look at me like I'm a geek.

Yes, thats the look I get all the time. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

or look at me like I'm a geek.

Yes, thats the look I get all the time. icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

quote:

icon_wink.gif

-Centaur

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

I have problems around here like that too. But I've also think that the terrorists are putting up some sort of device to make my GPS point in the wrong direction...I think they're trying to lead me off cliffs or something.

quote:
Originally posted by Centaur:

quote:

icon_wink.gif

-Centaur

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com/img/logo_small.jpg

I have problems around here like that too. But I've also think that the terrorists are putting up some sort of device to make my GPS point in the wrong direction...I think they're trying to lead me off cliffs or something.

Here's a quote from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources regarding their recent ban of GeoCaching in Minnesota state parks:

Geocaching prohibited in the Minnesota State Park system

Due to concerns related to natural resource protection, visitor safety, staff workloads and liability, geocaches are not permitted on lands administered by the Minnesota State Park System. Caches that were placed in state parks without permission must be removed by July 1, 2002. After that time, they will be considered abandoned property.

It's hard to believe that the prospect of park users (who have paid their admission fee) possibly walking off the trail should worry the park managers so much...

quote:

I as mentioned in another thread that you may want to search for, I believe last year's score for booby-traps was:

Mailboxes: 17+

Caches: 0

So tell your friends if they want to be safe, have their mail delivered to the nearest cache...those mailboxes are dangerous!

ApK

quote:

I had a couple of (female) friends warn me that geocaching is too dangerous. That they would be afraid of getting raped and murdered out in the woods. I tried to explain to them that I'm much more likely to be attacked in a store parking lot, than out in the woods. That a rapist/murderer would get "awfully" tired of hiding in the woods (in the weather) for several weeks waiting for someone to come along to be raped & murdered. But they weren't convinced.

Oh well.....

Windrose

"The way of the Wind is a strange, wild way."

quote:

I had a couple of (female) friends warn me that geocaching is too dangerous. That they would be afraid of getting raped and murdered out in the woods. I tried to explain to them that I'm much more likely to be attacked in a store parking lot, than out in the woods. That a rapist/murderer would get "awfully" tired of hiding in the woods (in the weather) for several weeks waiting for someone to come along to be raped & murdered. But they weren't convinced.

But on the other hand, if you hear banjos - RUN! icon_wink.gif

quote:

But on the other hand, if you hear banjos - RUN! icon_wink.gif

Just my opinion but it seems like real terrorists wouldn't be interested and most criminals would be too stupid to even find the cache. Read the headlines, we are not talking about the best and brightest! Hunt in at least pairs and try to look bigger and badder than you actually are. Works for wild animals . . . and me.

Last night when I was at a cemetary cache I was more worried about getting busted by the cops than a ghost or rapest or murderer or whatever. I could only imagine the cop car pulling up behind mine and having to explain the the only time I get to see my dead grandpa was at night and how he likes me to bring him cache items and log my visit in his journal. icon_smile.gif

Proud New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Last night when I was at a cemetary cache I was more worried about getting busted by the cops than a ghost or rapest or murderer or whatever. I could only imagine the cop car pulling up behind mine and having to explain the the only time I get to see my dead grandpa was at night and how he likes me to bring him cache items and log my visit in his journal. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I have several concerns here...

How does one trap a booby?

Wouldn't a trapped booby be a bit dangerous?

What would ond do with a booby after it has been trapped?

Wouldn't a booby be better if it were loose?

Where can one purchase a booby trap? And what do they cost?

Are there any good books on booby trapping? Including drawings and diagrams?

Is there a booby trapping season? Does one need a license?

quote:
Originally posted by thetaylors:

Just my opinion but it seems like real terrorists wouldn't be interested and most criminals would be too stupid to even find the cache. Read the headlines, we are not talking about the best and brightest! Hunt in at least pairs and try to look bigger and badder than you actually are. Works for wild animals . . . and me.

You talkin bout me?

Trudy & The Beast, you're taking this as serious as I'm not.........

icon_rolleyes.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:
Originally posted by thetaylors:

You talkin bout me?

Trudy & The Beast, you're taking this as serious as I'm not.........

icon_rolleyes.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Well if the Ammo box is at the Coordinates given it should be pretty safe to say that its the cache.

Actually, there have been a few boobie trap caches. I held and event cache this summer with a multi in which all the legs had a different boobie trap. The traps included a spring snake, a container with a hornets nest(complete with hornets-dead of course), a spider attached to a bungee that sprang out at you when you opened it, a slime cache, an air horn, and a mouse trap with pistol primers that exploded when opened.

Of course all of these were harmless fun, but I think that there are still people that cringe a little when they open one of my caches. icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, there have been a few boobie trap caches. I held and event cache this summer with a multi in which all the legs had a different boobie trap. The traps included a spring snake, a container with a hornets nest(complete with hornets-dead of course), a spider attached to a bungee that sprang out at you when you opened it, a slime cache, an air horn, and a mouse trap with pistol primers that exploded when opened.

Of course all of these were harmless fun, but I think that there are still people that cringe a little when they open one of my caches. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Bluejay Team:

I realize some of you are having fun with the question about booby trapped caches. Seeing a closed ammo box (maybe even with some left over military markings) can give any new cacher a moment of wondering if this is o.k. to open. My daughter, who has a snake phobia, was not happy when she opened a cache with a plastic snake in it.

This is an adventure sport (of the very mildest sort). If one is not adventurous, perhaps this is not the sport for one.

ApK

quote:
Originally posted by The Bluejay Team:

I realize some of you are having fun with the question about booby trapped caches. Seeing a closed ammo box (maybe even with some left over military markings) can give any new cacher a moment of wondering if this is o.k. to open. My daughter, who has a snake phobia, was not happy when she opened a cache with a plastic snake in it.

Actually, that's the point sarcastically being made. There are lots of threats in the outdoors, and a man-made trap is the absolute least of them.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:

I live in the DC Metro area, and I'm pretty certain that my spouce isn't going to want me to go caching this weekend. This idiot really needs to be stopped.

We can appreciate your concern, we all share your sentiments. But, you are way off topic here and there is little that the rest of the caching world can do to help the residents and authorities in your area.

quote:

I live in the DC Metro area, and I'm pretty certain that my spouce isn't going to want me to go caching this weekend. This idiot really needs to be stopped.

Be more concerned if she icon_eek.gif insists that you go!

**Huddie Ledbetter**

quote:

Be more concerned if she icon_eek.gif insists that you go!

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Heh heh, I was one of the first to mock this idea on this thread, and now I find I've inadvertently caused some panic at one cache.

I recently found a cache where you swap CDs. I left a CD and didn't take one, so at the end of my log at the site, I wrote, "Took nothing, left Anthrax". Later, when logging online, this particular thread came to mind, and I made a joke at the end of my log: "TN, left Anthrax (the band, not a booby trap)".

Yesterday I got an email from the cache owner, forwarding a message he got from someone from the park. It seems someone found the cache and read my log, without noticing the contents of the cache. They panicked and went to the rangers. The rangers there know about geocaching, as the park has an official one (a very good, complex one, too). But they weren't sure about this, so the FBI was contacted. They came to the site with biohazard detecting gear (I never owned any Biohazard CDs) and all. They did determine the mistake, to the embarrasment of the finders, before anything was detonated.

I've apologized for the commotion to the cache finder and the park. No one has logged the cache online yet, so I haven't been able to apologize to the finders, though I did edit my online log to include a general apology. Everyone seems to have taken it in a humorous light, though. The owner told me I should have left a Beatles CD; then the worst that would have happened is the Orkin man would have been called.

For the curious, it was Anthrax's "Sound of White Noise". I loved "Only", and it had a "Twin Peaks"-related song.

migo_sig_logo.jpg