Cache Rescue And Adoption Area

Team Misguided

Once again, geocaching.com does not change the ownership of a cache listing without the owner's permission. While that occurred occasionally in the past, for certain caches of 'historic' value, it led to many problems, including cache owners reappearing after two or three years absence to complain their geocaches had been 'stolen.'

This thread is for owners seeking someone to take over their listing voluntarily.

If there is a geocache in your area that is in dire need of maintenance, you can always help out the owner by 'freshening it up' a bit.

At the WSGA Puget Sound Meeting last night we discussed having a way to identify and rescue abandoned caches. This thread will be for the admins to post information on caches that need to be rescued and or adopted.

If you know of a cache that needs adopting you can also post that here. This is not a place to complain about caches. We want to be proactive about preventing geolitter in the Northwest.

Team Misguided

At the WSGA Puget Sound Meeting last night we discussed having a way to identify and rescue abandoned caches. This thread will be for the admins to post information on caches that need to be rescued and or adopted.

If you know of a cache that needs adopting you can also post that here. This is not a place to complain about caches. We want to be proactive about preventing geolitter in the Northwest.

Team Misguided

Geocaching has adopted a new policy since this thread was started.

Groundspeak will not process a geocache transfer without written permission from the geocache owner. Individual geocaches are owned by the person(s) who physically placed the geocache and/or submitted the geocache listing to geocaching.com. Decisions about caches belonging to someone who is deceased need to be made by the cache owner’s family since that cache is now part of the estate.

Grandfathered cache types cannot be transferred to a new owner. Neither the adoption tool on the website nor Groundspeak will be able to make the transfer for Virtual, Webcam or Locationless caches. Archived caches cannot be transferred, either.

Adopting or Transferring a Cache

Team Misguided

I've edited the original post and added the following information:

There have been some changes to the way Groundspeak addresses cache adoptions since this thread was started. This thread should now be used to post caches that you would like to put up for adoption or ask for help from the community if you have a temporary situation that prevents you from doing routine cache maintenance.

Team Misguided

I realize that the policies have changed, good idea but it would also be nice if people could also offer their willingness to adopt or at least state that they are available & ready to adopt if someone comes posting that they need help/wnat someone else to adopt.

That being said I have been a member for only 4 years, I have no hidden caches yet, and I started geocaching as soon as I got my Oregon 400T and quit right after it got stolen cuz I didn't have the funds to replace it at the time and desperately needed to replace my road GPS which was stolen at the same time (and yes I am fully aware I could have used the road GPS)

Now that I have an android phone, it takes much better advantage of geocaching than my Oregon 400T or my Garmin Nuvi could ever do. I have been finding caches all week long and I have plans to go find more caches this weekend with family & friends so I am familiar with how this works.

I also ordered a ton of goodies (most of it is to keep unfortunately... ) that are geocaching related and I am getting very excited about the possibilities of hiding my very first cache I have a few places in mind, I just need to find out what works and getting permissions :).

Anyway in spirit of keeping this post short, with my limited finds & no hides and just getting started out again I just want to say that I am available to help assist in rescues, maintenance and even routine checks to help the C.O.s out in most of Southern Oregon (mostly Grants Pass, Murphy, Merlin, other outlying areas will depend on the needs of the cache) I also travel to Jackson county as well and could provide support there based on the needs. I have lived in this area for well over 15 years.

Still looking for someone to adopt my cache: GC1D1EF "Dry Creek? I don't think so!

I've moved out of state so am no longer able to maintain this one. Please let me know.

I hang out at a geocaching IRC chat, I've mentioned your cache to the chat, there are a few from WA. I have told them to contact you if they are interested, you should also consider going to the slashnet IRC chat and hit up #geocache and ask in there.

I have a very popular cache in New York (The Pool) and I have recently moved to Singapore. I would like to transfer ownership to a friend of mine that lives in New York, but I can not find where I can transfer ownership. Any ideas or help? I am afraid that it will soon be considered abandoned, and it is a very cool cache. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

I have a very popular cache in New York (The Pool) and I have recently moved to Singapore. I would like to transfer ownership to a friend of mine that lives in New York, but I can not find where I can transfer ownership. Any ideas or help? I am afraid that it will soon be considered abandoned, and it is a very cool cache. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Awesome! Thank you!!!!

I need help with my first cache. I sent it in to be reviewed and it was put on hold by the reviewer because it was mislabeled. I categorized it as a regular cache, but infact, the reviewer said it was a puzzle/mystery type cache. When I went to edit the type, the drop down box does not offer "puzzle/mystery" as an option. I wrote the reviewer about this, but have received no response. Can anyone help? keithusb@gmail.com. As a side question: Why is it so bureaucratic to get a cache posted?

I need help with my first cache. I sent it in to be reviewed and it was put on hold by the reviewer because it was mislabeled. I categorized it as a regular cache, but infact, the reviewer said it was a puzzle/mystery type cache. When I went to edit the type, the drop down box does not offer "puzzle/mystery" as an option. I wrote the reviewer about this, but have received no response. Can anyone help? keithusb@gmail.com. As a side question: Why is it so bureaucratic to get a cache posted?

Why do you post the same question in multiple forums?

Reviewers have lives of their very own, and it's a weekend. What's the rush? Go find some more while you're waiting.

The bureauracracy (sp?) exists to make sure that hidden caches meet certain criteria, and we don't wind up with a box o' carp every few feet.

And, this really isn't the proper thread for your "problem".

I am looking for someone on the Kitsap Peninsula who is interested in adopting a Boy Scout traditional geocache at Camp Parson's. The cache needs to be relocated to a different spot and most likely need to be chained with a padlock for security. The kids who visit will muggle it. It will have to be placed in the Camp's Community Grounds and not near the road or campsites.

I have a very large ammo can for donation and will work with you to get it going. The scouts who come to this camp have an opportunity to earn a Geocaching patch and this will be a great benefit to keep going.

The cache is Chief Seattle (Treasure of Scouting) Boy Scouts

Please let me know ASAP. The reviewers have been asking for an update and I do not want to archive this one. Thanks!!

Donna

Quadmommy

I am looking for someone(s) to adopt any of my caches along 104, 101, and 106. These caches were placed when my mother, Dianne, was a live because she had always wanted to put caches in the wide spots along the road. We had placed around 48 but several have been archived.

These caches have been visited by many and I would hate to see them go away. I am unable to maintain them in the manner that is needed. I would like to adopt as many as possible out to someone who is able to maintain them better then me.

The following Caches are being Archived as I have removed the actual Cache Containers today.

If anyone want to place their own Cache where these were Located, you best jump on these Locations quickly as they were Prime Real-estate.

R-U-Nutz - GC10QNJ

The Ridge Night Cache - GC10MCD

Just Hanging Here or There - GC10KKQ

Go-4-It - GC10KM1

Two of these were Night Caches...

MtnMutt :anicute:

As I have cut back on my caching, no longer live near some of my caches, and will be moving away from Portland, Oregon at the end of the year, I will be offering my caches up for adoption over the next few months.

Starting off as the Labor Day Give Away are the following caches, which come with Maintenance Needed:

Ira's Fountain

Urban Guard Rail

A Royal View

Edited by bramasoleiowa

As I have cut back on my caching, no longer live near some of my caches, and will be moving away from Portland, Oregon at the end of the year, I will be offering my caches up for adoption over the next few months.

Starting off as the Labor Day Give Away are the following caches, which come with Maintenance Needed:

Ira's Fountain

Urban Guard Rail

A Royal View

The Labor Day Give Away caches have been adopted. Thank you to ivhs72 & DeconsArmy!

As some of you know, our community recently lost both members of Puppers (Bob Newell and Cristy Johnson). :(

I am working with Cristy's sister, Debbie, on disposition of their caches (16 in WA, 11 in CA). If you are interested in adopting any of their caches, please let me know. Thanks!

That's really sad. I would be happy to adopt some caches in Washington. Is there a list to be adopted?

As some of you know, our community recently lost both members of Puppers (Bob Newell and Cristy Johnson). :(

I am working with Cristy's sister, Debbie, on disposition of their caches (16 in WA, 11 in CA). If you are interested in adopting any of their caches, please let me know. Thanks!

That's really sad. I would be happy to adopt some caches in Washington. Is there a list to be adopted?

Check the Owned caches under their Profile. :D Thanks to all who've offered so far. We now have access to the accounts, so will follow up with adoptions soon.

Sooo, my old friends from pdxgeocaching have fallen inactive on the forums there, so I'm looking for some adoption help. If, by chance, someone wants to adopt a couple caches of mine, let me know. Also, if you would rather let me archive a couple, and you can have the hide location and container, let me know.

I know most frequenters to this thread are not Oregonians, so this is a gamble.

Let me know! :)

Hi Folks,

We have moved out of the Spokane area and we have left behind 3 caches that need a new owner. The GC#'s are GC3A6RG, GC36Q2P and GC91F9. One is in the Brown's Addition, one is in Peaceful Valley and the other is at Shadle Center. If anyone would like to adopt these orphans let me know.

Thanks a bunch!

J & Scoob