Cache Rescue And Adoption Area

Team Misguided

I'm looking for someone to perform a cache retreival. I was out in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness last weekend and left a cache at Island Lake. When I published the cache it was disabled until I could get the name of a ranger who would approve the cache. After speaking to Bill at the North Bend Ranger Station I was informed that no caches are approved in the Wilderness area, and that it is illegal to place one there.

Long of the short of it is I placed a cache without permission and I am looking for someone interested in making the 11 to 12 mile hike to retreive the cache. If you are game I can give you the coords and tell you a couple of routes to make it easier. I live in North Seattle and would be willing to buy a beer or two for any takers.

In Omak there is a cache, GCTAZQ, that has disappeared. The owner isn't active in caching any more but I know her well. I emailed her asked if I could adopt the cache and she was happy someone was willing to take it over. Could the moderator or reviewer email the owner and ask for permission to transfer the cache to me please. I'd be happy to replace it and get it back in action again.

In Omak there is a cache, GCTAZQ, that has disappeared. The owner isn't active in caching any more but I know her well. I emailed her asked if I could adopt the cache and she was happy someone was willing to take it over. Could the moderator or reviewer email the owner and ask for permission to transfer the cache to me please. I'd be happy to replace it and get it back in action again.

The way to do this would be to have the owner sign into their geocaching.com account and transfer the cache to you herself. All she needs to do is go to www.geocaching.com/adopt and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hey gang,

Redmond-area cachers PJBK are moving back to Texas, and they are hoping to get their three caches adopted before they leave, so they don't have to be archived. Please contact PJBK directly if you'd like to adopt one.

What's that buzzing?

Sixth Sense

Out to Deep Right

Thanks!

Has this been resolved? I would be willing to adopt whats that buzzing as I have found it and got a kick out of it when I did.

Feel free to contact me through my profile.

Good afternoon!

I haven't had the time to enjoy the game like I used to, and my lack of maintenance is showing. Time to let my caches go. I have three active caches that someone may be interested in adopting. Two are in Tukwila, and the third is in Seahust Park.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d3-0e5b8faba4c7

Slippery Root Cache GC931

This Ain't No Hazelnut GCP5EA

Corner Pocket GCQBTW

The one I am most "worried"about is Slippery Root. It was placed on May 1, 2001, and is one of the oldest caches in the state (currently on page 687 of 688 Washington State caches). I would hate for it to be archieved because I haven't been able to be a good steward.

I'm not on the forums much anymore, if there is any interest in any of these, email me at dsvall@comcast.net.

Thanks much,

Sarah

WATreasureHunters

This is a bit early, but with good reason. I'm moving from the PNW "back home" to Minnesota. After 4 years here I'm heading back to go to a grad school program...and will be away from my caches in the Portland area. I will be leaving in February, so there is time to weigh in on what may be saved. (I will cross-post on pdxgeocaching's site, too)

I'm bummed to leave such a great caching community behind, but I'll take my PNW skills there and show them a thing or two!

Take a look through my profile, and I can always give details to caches like mysteries and puzzles if you would like to adopt.

Let me know!

Cheers,

NeverSummer

This is a bit early, but with good reason. I'm moving from the PNW "back home" to Minnesota. After 4 years here I'm heading back to go to a grad school program...and will be away from my caches in the Portland area. I will be leaving in February, so there is time to weigh in on what may be saved. (I will cross-post on pdxgeocaching's site, too)

I'm bummed to leave such a great caching community behind, but I'll take my PNW skills there and show them a thing or two!

Take a look through my profile, and I can always give details to caches like mysteries and puzzles if you would like to adopt.

Let me know!

Cheers,

NeverSummer

PM sent.

Let me know!

Cheers,

NeverSummer

PM sent.

I'm hoping to get them adopted out to folks that have found them. If you need help to net some smilies before adopting, let me know if you need help. Thanks for the offer. I have posted on the pdxgeocaching site, but I've had no action there yet...

Hi All,

I'm looking to transfer some of my southern Oregon caches to a cacher down there as I've since moved to Seattle and can only check on them once or twice a year when I visit now. If anyone can adopt these that would be much appreciated. If not? I'll just grab them the next chance I am down there and archive them.

Thanks!

Brainbumps

Ashland, OR:

GCJFBM Lamb Mine

GCJ0XZ Follow the White Rabbit

GCJ3MJ Gamebox

Medford, OR:

GCJKC6 Up a Tree

Talent, OR:

GCHTG1 The Talented Mr. Who?

GCHVA9 I Hate I-5 / Lucky Dog

I have a cache, Cedar River Bamboo, that I have had disabled since the flooding some time ago. I tried once to get to it, but came up about 70 feet short. I'm not sure whether it is there or not, but if someone is looking for a challenge, they are welcome to try to retrieve it for me. As far as I can tell, if it is there, it is buried under a pile of debris from the flooding. My knees will not allow me to get that far into the debris to find it myself. Retrieval will require a pair of pliers to take the tether apart.

My Cedar River Bamboo cache needs someone to check up on it. I tried a bit ago to get to it and could only get to within 70 feet of the cache. I don't know if it is there or not. Debris from the flooding early this year has piled up around the cache. With my arthritis in my knee I can't get up and around on the debris pile so I have trouble checking on it. I disabled the cache in January and tried to get to it in February. I'm sure a reviewer will be asking about the cache soon. If someone can verify it is there, I would be glad to adopt it out. If someone can verify it is gone, I will archive it.

SpokaneGeoCachers just archived about 15 caches due to a move. I'm going to email them about adopting Greenstone (Adirondack Lodge). I enjoyed finding it recently and think it deserves to stay alive. Does anyone else think some of their others deserve a second chance?

With the change of rules on adoption that is going to be hard. As I understand it you can't unarchive a cache for the sole purpose of adopting it out and archive caches can not be adopted. Sounds like they are now at an end.

Jim

SpokaneGeoCachers just archived about 15 caches due to a move. I'm going to email them about adopting Greenstone (Adirondack Lodge). I enjoyed finding it recently and think it deserves to stay alive. Does anyone else think some of their others deserve a second chance?

With the change of rules on adoption that is going to be hard. As I understand it you can't unarchive a cache for the sole purpose of adopting it out and archive caches can not be adopted. Sounds like they are now at an end.

Jim

Jim's pretty much correct.

The best bet would be to hide new versions of them.

Jim

Jim's pretty much correct.

The best bet would be to hide new versions of them.

I think it is a bad idea to hide new versions. This looks a little like an unauthorized copy and prevents people from keeping really good caches. So as currently no other chance exists for the owner he will archive it.

A good idea for the future would be to mark the cache as "free to adopt" before archiving it. Then someone can have contact to move the cache to a new owner.

That is what this thread is about. If you are planning on archiving a bunch of your caches like in this case it would be better to post in this thread first to see if you can find someone who's interested in taking it over.

As for the cache, I've seen many tribute caches placed. They place the cache and reference the original cache in the description. It's a great way to keep the location alive once the original cache has been archived.

I've got a good candidate for this thread.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...78-ac315c158aea

This cache has been archived because it was in a really bad place. It was actually in the rubble of this concentrator in a highly sensitive area that people are trying to preserve at this point. The coordinates were 80-100 feet off so people had a large search radius that was tearing the place up.

anyway, many people have indicated a desire to have a cache at this location. The old one has been archived, but it is still in place. The cache needs to be removed to keep people from walking through the historical ruins at this site, and the cache could possibly be moved to a safe nearby place in the woods.

The cache owner has asked that the cache be removed by anyone in the area. They could be contacted about using the same cache in a different location.

People are still logging finds on this cache so it would be great to see it moved.

Anyone live anywhere near Monte Cristo on the Mountain Loop Highway? Or visiting soon?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance here and have attempted to find it on my own by using the keywords "moving", "ownership", and "adopt"; however, I'm not finding the answer I'm looking for.

I am moving from London, Ontario to Montreal, Quebec, and will no longer be able to maintain my cache (called "Jamie's First Cache" from my account, Jamie2B). I'd like to put the cache site up for adoption and I am hoping that someone else will be able to "carry the flame" so to speak since it is a site well worth preserving (deer in the middle of a medium-sized city - imagine).

How do I go about doing this or can you, the admin, take care of this on my behalf?

Thanks,

Jamie2B

---------------------------------

At the WSGA Puget Sound Meeting last night we discussed having a way to identify and rescue abandoned caches. This thread will be for the admins to post information on caches that need to be rescued and or adopted.

If you know of a cache that needs adopting you can also post that here. This is not a place to complain about caches. We want to be proactive about preventing geolitter in the Northwest.

Team Misguided

Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance here and have attempted to find it on my own by using the keywords "moving", "ownership", and "adopt"; however, I'm not finding the answer I'm looking for.

I am moving from London, Ontario to Montreal, Quebec, and will no longer be able to maintain my cache (called "Jamie's First Cache" from my account, Jamie2B). I'd like to put the cache site up for adoption and I am hoping that someone else will be able to "carry the flame" so to speak since it is a site well worth preserving (deer in the middle of a medium-sized city - imagine).

How do I go about doing this or can you, the admin, take care of this on my behalf?

Thanks,

Jamie2B

---------------------------------

At the WSGA Puget Sound Meeting last night we discussed having a way to identify and rescue abandoned caches. This thread will be for the admins to post information on caches that need to be rescued and or adopted.

If you know of a cache that needs adopting you can also post that here. This is not a place to complain about caches. We want to be proactive about preventing geolitter in the Northwest.

Team Misguided

You would likely do better by posting this request in your regional forum. Once you find someone to take over your cache then you can process the adoption yourself by going to www.geocaching.com/adopt/.

Still we get to the same problem: how can I find someone to adopt my cache?

How and where do I broadcast this?

I think, some kind of flag could be shown, maybe in the cache issues: "This cache is free to adopt. Please contact the owner if you are interested in adopting". Further caches to be adopted could appear in the localized newsletter.

Still we get to the same problem: how can I find someone to adopt my cache?

How and where do I broadcast this?

I think, some kind of flag could be shown, maybe in the cache issues: "This cache is free to adopt. Please contact the owner if you are interested in adopting". Further caches to be adopted could appear in the localized newsletter.

There are a few things you can do. If you post a note to your cache page indicating that the cache is up for adoption than the next few people who view the cache page will see it and maybe someone will be interested. If there are any watchers of your cache they will get an automatic email when you post that note so it will go out to a select group of people who already have shown an interest in your cache.

Since a note will fall off the page depending on how many finds that cache gets another option would be to add a line or two to the cache description about the cache being up for adoption.

Finally, while it would be great if every cache placed had an unlimited lifespan that is not the reality of our game. Some caches last longer than others and in some cases some last longer than they should. I am not speaking of any specific cache, I'm just suggesting that in some cases it might be better to archive the older cache and allow someone else to put a new cache nearby.

In a word Yes!

Any of those things could be indicators that a cache needs adopting. It really depends on the individual cache. I get involved in cache adoption situations in basically two ways. I could get an email from a cacher asking to adopt a cache in his/her area or I get a Should Be Archived notice on a cache.

In either case I take a good look at the cache page, read through the history of the cache and look at the owners profile. I send off an email to the registered owner. I might disable the cache if necessary and put a note on the cache page. If I don't get a response from the registered owner then the cache would be one that might be placed up for adoption.

If a cache is doing fine on its own I would most likely not do anything except put it on my watch list.

Now this should be done every where....

I was on a GeoTrip a year ago and found every cache in a town i east Texas either muggled or gone and no notes form the own or response from an inquire.

Emaxxe

In a word Yes!

Any of those things could be indicators that a cache needs adopting. It really depends on the individual cache. I get involved in cache adoption situations in basically two ways. I could get an email from a cacher asking to adopt a cache in his/her area or I get a Should Be Archived notice on a cache.

In either case I take a good look at the cache page, read through the history of the cache and look at the owners profile. I send off an email to the registered owner. I might disable the cache if necessary and put a note on the cache page. If I don't get a response from the registered owner then the cache would be one that might be placed up for adoption. would unfortunately be archived. This would however open the area up for a new cache to be placed nearby to bring people back to enjoy the area again.

If a cache is doing fine on its own I would most likely not do anything except put it on my watch list.

Now this should be done every where....

I was on a GeoTrip a year ago and found every cache in a town i east Texas either muggled or gone and no notes form the own or response from an inquire.

Emaxxe

I should go back and edit that, it's old information. I've made the relevant correction in the text above. More recent posts in this thread and elsewhere in the forums go into more detail about the current adoption policy.

Some Alaska History GCWAGR

June 1st 2008 a log entry reported the cache container has a hole in it. As of this morning the container still has a hole, the continence are moldy and the log book is wet. There is no E-mail address for the registered owner Gavia01. The last time they log into the web site is June 12 2008 and they are currently listed as “not validated member.” It is a frequently visited cache and I do not want to see it deactivated, can I adopt it?

Some Alaska History GCWAGR

June 1st 2008 a log entry reported the cache container has a hole in it. As of this morning the container still has a hole, the continence are moldy and the log book is wet. There is no E-mail address for the registered owner Gavia01. The last time they log into the web site is June 12 2008 and they are currently listed as “not validated member.” It is a frequently visited cache and I do not want to see it deactivated, can I adopt it?

Not unless you can contact the owner and they initiate the adoption. But it sounds like that is not possible. Time to file a Needs Archive and when it is archived put your own cache in place. The other option is to put a watch on the cache, replace the container and do other maintenance required. But that is really not the best solution because you do not have access to the listing like an owner would. If someone files a needs maintenance log you will not be able to clear the flag, nor if the cache needs to be disabled for some reason you will not be able to do that either. Best choice is archive and place your own cache.

A fun multicache in my neighborhood (Wandering Pirate's Dream GCJPNT) has gone stale and the owner apparently hadn't responded to repeated warnings last summer from admin about it being archived. I would be happy to adopt it in order to get it unarchived or, worst case, recreate it in the same location. Would prefer to adopt the old instance though since that will preserve the find history. Any admins lurking about who could point me to the most appropriate next step? Thanks.

A fun multicache in my neighborhood (Wandering Pirate's Dream GCJPNT) has gone stale and the owner apparently hadn't responded to repeated warnings last summer from admin about it being archived. I would be happy to adopt it in order to get it unarchived or, worst case, recreate it in the same location. Would prefer to adopt the old instance though since that will preserve the find history. Any admins lurking about who could point me to the most appropriate next step? Thanks.

Groundspeak has decided to no longer allow "forced adoptions" which is what you are asking to do. Unless you can contact the cache owner and have them start the adoption process at www.geocaching.com/adopt there is no way to take over a listing without the current owners permission. If that is the case drop a needs archived on it if it needs it and collect the trash once that happens. Or re-list it as yours once it is cleaned up.

Also As I understand it you can't unarchive a cache for the sole purpose of adopting it out and archive caches can not be adopted.

Looks like I posted this to the wrong forum the first time, let's try this agin.

I'm putting my last cache, Dry Creek? I don't think so! GC1D1EF, up for adoption. If you're interested in taking this let me know. You can contact me through gc.com user name woodman5898. Thanks

Ummm, I'm relatively new here, and I'm not sure I entirely understand how this should work... but this seems like the right place to ask.

There is supposedly a cache near my home. I'm pretty sure it's gone missing. The owner hasn't been on since the end of last year, the last find was over a month ago, and when I was there I couldn't find it.

Do I flag it as "needs archived" or do I assume that this is my first DNF, and wait for someone else to go back and check on it?

It is GC18MTR Beggar's Tick's guard-dog's stash cache.

Z.

Ummm, I'm relatively new here, and I'm not sure I entirely understand how this should work... but this seems like the right place to ask.

There is supposedly a cache near my home. I'm pretty sure it's gone missing. The owner hasn't been on since the end of last year, the last find was over a month ago, and when I was there I couldn't find it.

Do I flag it as "needs archived" or do I assume that this is my first DNF, and wait for someone else to go back and check on it?

It is GC18MTR Beggar's Tick's guard-dog's stash cache.

Z.

I would mark it as a DNF then also mark it as "Needs maintenance".

Hi, I have three active caches near my house but I no longer have much time to care for them. They are currently in good shape but I would be willing to let someone adopt them. I probably would put a watch on them so I can still get notified when they are found but otherwise I've mostly had to give this up. Before you do give them to someone let me know though, I might ask a few local cachers I know in person first but I just wanted to put this out there if someone is interested.

Just a quick heads up on one in my area:

http://coord.info/GCJQMH

Just did some maintenance on this one today (see log). I emailed the owner with the updates, but they have not been to the site since '07. I'll wait patiently for an email back from them, but, if an admin has a moment to take a look and fire a quick message as well, it may be helpful!

I'll rescue/adopt if need be.

Thanks!

Can someone take a look @ Seeing Whales (GCTDV1)

CO hasn't logged in in over a month. This is a Prime city cache location in Edmonds on the waterfront.

Ideas? I'll adopt it if the option is available, if not I'm willing to place a new cache in this area!

Thank You

Judbud

Edited by judbud