Cache Rescue And Adoption Area

Team Misguided

Hi there...

I've been trying to adopt The Woodpecker Tree (GCJX0K) in Monroe, WA, for a few months now and the owner is MIA... clue is way out of date, no responses to emails, no longer an active geocacher, doesn't live near the cache, etc. etc. This cache has been abandoned.

Unfortunately, the cache has now been muggled. The "owner" is clearly not going to replace the cache or even disable the listing. I'd like to adopt this cache and replace it. I have made every effort to contact the "owner" over the last few months. Can someone help this happen?

Thanks,

Kurt

GK360

Where there is no container left there is nothing to adopt. I archived the listing to make way for a new cache.

I'm interested in rescuing and adopting a cache near where I live,

(GC51DB) "Beaver Lake Again!" by Frank and Justin

This is a nice multicache in a nice park, but the cache has been

gradually deteriorating for years. The paper in the waypoints

has turned to mush and is virtually unreadable, and has been

that way for a year. The owners have not logged on for 17 months.

I have sent them several e-mails dating back to September

with no response.

The final is still there, and still in good condition.

I think this one is worth saving, but if not then it should be

archived to free up this large park for other caches.

Twice this month, I have sent emails (once as a note to admin on the cache page and once as an email to Team Misguided 8/17/06) about adopting out one of my caches ("A Little Park By A Little Ferry" (GCRG5B)) in Anacortes to another cacher rubyslippersNW, but have heard nada from admin about it. I was going to archive my muggled cache, since at the time I wasn't able to get to Anacortes unless someone replaced it and they stepped up and did it. As a reward, and since they live nearby, I talked to them and they are happy to take ownership of the cache, but I am disappointed by the lack of response from admin. Maybe I went the wrong way about trying to adopt it out and perhaps I emailed the wrong reviewer I don't know, but I am just hoping to "getter done". - Joe

Can you adopt an archived cache? I would like to adopt one. The owner archived all their caches when they moved. I tried to adopt one of them but they thought if they took the container it couldn't be adopted out. I like the site and what to keep it active. It is close to one of my other caches. I don't want to create a new one just revive or adopt it.

Hi all - I am leaving London shortly and need to put my caches up for adoption; what is the process or should I just leave them running with a big note saying owner now gone? Can you officially transfer ownership?

Do not leave them with a big not saying owner now gone. Either find a new owner for them or archive them and pick up the containers before you leave. You should start a thread in the U.K. froum, I'm sure you'll find people willing to take over your caches.

After finding Arbutus Menziesii Grove II I was walking through the park on a different trail and came across what I believe is an abandoned cache on the trail. It looked like some city park employees had been doing some trimming and had found it and just left it on the trail. It was a tupperware bowl with some misc items in it. It had a log book but no name of the owner of the chache or the name of the cahe. The last log was on 4/19/2003.

There doesn't seem to be any other cahces listed for this park and was wondering if there is a way to find out where it should go.

Thanks,

North332

After finding Arbutus Menziesii Grove II I was walking through the park on a different trail and came across what I believe is an abandoned cache on the trail. It looked like some city park employees had been doing some trimming and had found it and just left it on the trail. It was a tupperware bowl with some misc items in it. It had a log book but no name of the owner of the chache or the name of the cahe. The last log was on 4/19/2003.

There doesn't seem to be any other cahces listed for this park and was wondering if there is a way to find out where it should go.

Thanks,

North332

It appears that it may be SEOLA G.B. which was archived about the same time frame as the last log you mention. Check the logbook in the cache to the online entries.

You can find nearby archived caches by going to geocaching maps link on the cache page and selecting List Archived/Disabled Caches.

Thanks,

North332

It appears that it may be SEOLA G.B. which was archived about the same time frame as the last log you mention. Check the logbook in the cache to the online entries.

You can find nearby archived caches by going to geocaching maps link on the cache page and selecting List Archived/Disabled Caches.

Thanks, I'll contact the owner of SEOLA G.B. and see what he wants to do.

I hereby offer GCNCQP "The Family Who Rescued A Covered Bridge" up for adoption.

The problem is that it is 60 miles away from me and I don't have the means to take care of any maintenance issues if one ever comes up.

Fortunately it is a low-maintenance cache to begin with. Not to mention a definite "Wow, didn't know this was here!" kind of cache. :unsure:

Anyone in the Lincoln City, Oregon area up for a good adoption?

I'd like to offer up my Port of Tacoma cache for adoption. It's a bison capsule micro, and I've been deluding myself that I'd replace the logsheet ever since the first message I got last June saying it was full. I haven't done so, and realistically, don't think I will. Let me know if you'd like to adopt the cache, and I'll happily transfer it to you.

I hereby offer GCNCQP "The Family Who Rescued A Covered Bridge" up for adoption.

The problem is that it is 60 miles away from me and I don't have the means to take care of any maintenance issues if one ever comes up.

Fortunately it is a low-maintenance cache to begin with. Not to mention a definite "Wow, didn't know this was here!" kind of cache. <_<

We would love to adopt this cache! It's a neat one. ;)

Fortunately it is a low-maintenance cache to begin with. Not to mention a definite "Wow, didn't know this was here!" kind of cache. :huh:

We would love to adopt this cache! It's a neat one. :)

Sorry I have not checked in recently... my laptop has died and I've been borrowing other people's computers.

I hereby approve this cacher adopting this cache of mine. What do we do?

Fortunately it is a low-maintenance cache to begin with. Not to mention a definite "Wow, didn't know this was here!" kind of cache. :huh:

We would love to adopt this cache! It's a neat one. :)

Sorry I have not checked in recently... my laptop has died and I've been borrowing other people's computers.

I hereby approve this cacher adopting this cache of mine. What do we do?

Use this link, to adopt out your cache.

Some Hood River, OR cachers are moving and need to offer four caches for adoption (if nobody wants them, we promise to eventually retrieve them and archive them properly): the Leapin' Lizards cache team is looking for mothers to the following caches, and we apologize for not understanding how to provide links -

Time 4 Lizards (everybody loves this hiding spot), GCHHG9

Yallani Memories (good muddin' spot in the rainy season!), GC9220

'Twas the Season (on the same road as Whoop-Dee-Doo), GCB44E

Whoop-Dee-Doo (1/3 mile further along than 'Twas the Season), GCG2T0

If any generous soul wants to adopt one or more of these caches, a note on the cache page should do it, or an email to astasia@earthlink.net would be greatly appreciated.

We thank you! Cache on!

Slyther, and the rest of the Leapin' Lizards crew

Pirate's Booty Cache is just fine short of beefing up the trade items a bit (we found it this last weekend), but the owners have posted a note to the cache that they live in Scotland now and are unable to take care of their geocache. Ideally they should have picked it up before moving, but since they didn't it could use a new owner. I live too far away to help out, but perhaps someone in Spokane could contact mattandjeni and see if a voluntary adoption could be arranged.

I'd Like to adopt the cache known as "Cache In" (GC7F45) the cache owner states the following:

We placed this cache in 2002, and have since moved from the area. Recent visitors have reported that the cache is wet and needs some maintenance. If your visiting this cache, please restock it and supply it with a new log book.

While I may not live there, I did grow up there and visit the area at least once every 3 months if not more often because most of my family lives in the area. On my next trip I plan on replacing the container with an ammo can and I've already ordered the "Official Geocaching" stickers etc.

I did send a message the original cache owner about this subject to see if they had any objections, hopefully I will recieve a response from them soon as they haven't been on the site in since January.

Edited by Difranco

Well I just got an email from the cache owner and he is cool with it:

Thank you for you offer to take over "Cached In". Go for it!! I looked at the help menus on the Geocaching website for guidance on how totransfer the cache. It looks like the "local reviewer" has to review andapprove the transfer. However, I could find no links to identify who this"local reviewer" might be. So I don't know how we go from here.

So if I can get an admin to help with this that would be great!!!

Edited by Difranco

Well I just got an email from the cache owner and he is cool with it:

Thank you for you offer to take over "Cached In". Go for it!! I looked at the help menus on the Geocaching website for guidance on how totransfer the cache. It looks like the "local reviewer" has to review andapprove the transfer. However, I could find no links to identify who this"local reviewer" might be. So I don't know how we go from here.

So if I can get an admin to help with this that would be great!!!

Difranco

Not an admin, but what you are looking for is right here.

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Just have the cache owner put it up for adoption using the link and they will select you as the adoptor, you will get an e-mail and then accept the adoption.

Easy as pie and no reviewers needed.

Difranco

Just have the cache owner put it up for adoption using the link and they will select you as the adoptor, you will get an e-mail and then accept the adoption.

I looked all over the forums and I didnt find that link and see anything about adoption in the FAQ's. Thanks for that info!!!

Difranco

Difranco

I looked all over the forums and I didnt find that link and see anything about adoption in the FAQ's. Thanks for that info!!!

Difranco

its in the forums FAQ in the (getting started forum) I think that is the correct one. But you are correct, you have to almost know where to look and I personally think that it needs to be in a much more obvious place, like the resources tab, because even if someone knows about it, it is still hard to find.

its in the forums FAQ in the (getting started forum) I think that is the correct one. But you are correct, you have to almost know where to look and I personally think that it needs to be in a much more obvious place, like the resources tab, because even if someone knows about it, it is still hard to find.

The owner of the cache is having difficulty loading that page.... is there another way?

The owner of the cache is having difficulty loading that page.... is there another way?

Other then getting the reviewer involved, no I don't. Thats odd that it isn't working as it seems to work for me.

Make sure he's logged in first. Then if he's still having trouble have him email me with the request to transfer the cache to you.

I'm currently located in Bellingham but will be moving to Okanogan at the end of July to become a new math teacher at the high school. I have two caches that I own in Bellingham and would like to see them adopted so that they may live on.

The two caches are:

El Nino?

What once was Lost

Neither of them have had any muggle or maintance problems so I don't see them needing a lot of care. Email me if you would like to adopt one or both.

Thanks;

Bccruiser

i am located in the victoria bc area and there is a cache that has been unavalible but not disabled so it shows up in all the searches i have emailed the cache owner and he has told me that hes to busy to maintain his cache but mabey at the end of the summer he mioght get around to fixing it he has not found a cache for almost a year and the cache went missing last august its gcwnb8 i would love to adot the listing but the owner is being a jerk about it says he does not even have time to go online and disable it any help would be apreciated

i am located in the victoria bc area and there is a cache that has been unavalible but not disabled so it shows up in all the searches i have emailed the cache owner and he has told me that hes to busy to maintain his cache but mabey at the end of the summer he mioght get around to fixing it he has not found a cache for almost a year and the cache went missing last august its gcwnb8 i would love to adot the listing but the owner is being a jerk about it says he does not even have time to go online and disable it any help would be apreciated

That sounds like a 'Should Be Archived' note needs to be placed on that cache. With the information you've provided the local reviewer will be alerted and can get involved.

That sounds like a 'Should Be Archived' note needs to be placed on that cache. With the information you've provided the local reviewer will be alerted and can get involved.

SBA notes were posted while I was on vacation. The cache owner is being a bit snippy! I disabled that cache today since he appears to not be in any hurry, but is at least responding on the cache page. Still, disabling it at least removes if from "nearest caches" searches. Thanks for the heads up about this topic Team Misguided.

I'd like to adopt Bedrock(GCMPPN) from Barger. I've sent him 3 emails and have gotten no response from him at all. Also, Per his profile page, his last time on the site was 12 August, 2006. This is Over 11 Months ago.

Currently, the cache is missing, but I am willing to make the short trip to the site to place a container as soon as I hear that the adoption is approved.

Thanks,

The Steaks

Pirate's Booty Cache is just fine short of beefing up the trade items a bit (we found it this last weekend), but the owners have posted a note to the cache that they live in Scotland now and are unable to take care of their geocache. Ideally they should have picked it up before moving, but since they didn't it could use a new owner. I live too far away to help out, but perhaps someone in Spokane could contact mattandjeni and see if a voluntary adoption could be arranged.

Has this cache been adopted out yet? If not, I would be willing to take it on. I was just there a week ago and all was well with the cache. ARRRR!

Has this cache been adopted out yet? If not, I would be willing to take it on. I was just there a week ago and all was well with the cache. ARRRR!

Yes it looks like this one was adopted by someone local.

I am a newbe at caching, but my first find is a very nice location and it appears to be a very active cache. It is the Cornwall Cache, GCJV77. Log book has been full for many months, box is cracked and contents are wet. I live only 2 blocks from this location and would like to adopt this cache. How do I proceed? I have emailed the person who statrted it, but no reply. This is a awesome location and really need maintenance.

richest :blink:

I am a newbe at caching, but my first find is a very nice location and it appears to be a very active cache. It is the Cornwall Cache, GCJV77. Log book has been full for many months, box is cracked and contents are wet. I live only 2 blocks from this location and would like to adopt this cache. How do I proceed? I have emailed the person who statrted it, but no reply. This is a awesome location and really need maintenance.

richest :blink:

Thank you much. I am sure that finders will appreciate a dry well stocked cache.

richest

I've posted a note to the cache page and given the owner the standard four weeks to respond. I've also set a reminder on my calander to check back in four weeks. At that time if the owner hasn't checked in we can move forward with the adoption.

Team Misguided

Anyone want to adopt a hidden waterfall just north of Beaverton, Oregon?

Vienna's Hidden Waterfall

It's one of those rare caches where the location is the point, making the cache rather secondary.

Whoever adopts this cache, PLEASE make a promise that you will arrange a CITO event around it at some point. :D

I can adopt this for you as well.

I decided to talk to the Parks District spokesperson Kyle S. about this... I had wanted to do a CITO before handing the cache over. Turns out that THPRD does not own this property. It turns out to be private property. Yikes. Stay tuned as I try to get official permission for the continuation of this cache - THEN I can officially adopt it out.