Cache Rescue And Adoption Area

Team Misguided

I would be interested in adopting "Saurocache" GCHAYH. I recommended the cache be archived after several attemps at contacting the cache owners back in January. They replied but kept the cache active even though the cache is gone. Their reply date was 01/19/05...and that was the last day they have been to the website. I did send them a very nice letter today asking if I could adopt their cache. It is a really nice spot for a cache but quite a drive for most especially with no actual cache there. I am doubtful that I will get a reply from the owners. Is there any way you could follow up on this one?

Thanks,

Penny (Chris, Penny, Logan and Liahm)

Team Misguided, I sent you an email the other day about adopting out one of my caches. Did you get it?

I did receive the email. Things are a bit crazier than normal in the Misguided household. I'm working again and that is taking some getting used to. Things like adoptions are getting put off until the weekends when we have a bit more time. I'll get to it soon I promise.

I just got a phone call from 4chin seeker, who is leaving the Northwest and moving to California. He asked me to post to the forum that his caches in WA are up for adoption. He doesn't currently have reliable internet access, but would appreciate a phone call from people interested in adopting one or several of his caches. His mobile number is: 425-931-9980

Thanks!

Bump...

I got another call from 4Chin Seeker. Many of his caches are still available. Please don't respond in this thread, but contact him by phone: 425-931-9980

Damon a Nomad in Ocean Shores needs someone to adopt it. It disappeared last fall and the current owner has moved out of state.

This cache is an old Foosh Foosh cache from 2001 and in a great spot for a cache. Hate to see it be gone for good.

Maybe if someone is going out to Ocean Shores they could bring a cache box with them to place here?

Damon a Nomad in Ocean Shores needs someone to adopt it. It disappeared last fall and the current owner has moved out of state.

This cache is an old Foosh Foosh cache from 2001 and in a great spot for a cache. Hate to see it be gone for good.

Maybe if someone is going out to Ocean Shores they could bring a cache box with them to place here?

I'll contact CCal, and if she hasn't had any takers, I'll put a new can out there. It was my first FTF, and bubble_luscious's first find, so I'd hate to see it go.

Typically though if the container is missing and the owner is missing the cache should be archived and a new cache submitted in it's place. I understand the history of this one, but there isn't anything left to adopt and the current owner isn't able to replace the container. Additionally from what I understand the recent storms removed a substantial portion of the beach so a new container would have to be moved to a new location.

I just got a phone call from 4chin seeker, who is leaving the Northwest and moving to California. He asked me to post to the forum that his caches in WA are up for adoption. He doesn't currently have reliable internet access, but would appreciate a phone call from people interested in adopting one or several of his caches. His mobile number is: 425-931-9980

Thanks!

Bump...

I got another call from 4Chin Seeker. Many of his caches are still available. Please don't respond in this thread, but contact him by phone: 425-931-9980

I talked with 4chin Seeker this evening and almost all are still available for adoption. I talked to him about adopting his Night Cache and A Little Bit of Everett History. He still does not have a connection to the internet.

Please give him a call if you are interested in adopting any of his caches.

Edited by jcar

Thanks!

Bump...

I talked with 4chin Seeker this evening and almost all are still available for adoption. I talked to him about adopting his Night Cache and A Little Bit of Everett History. He still does not have a connection to the internet.

Please give him a call if you are interested in adopting any of his caches.

I have a connection to the internet now, so feel free to E mail now.

Yesterday, I went up to a natural rock arch (in the Willamette National Forest)called Phantom Bridge in order to place a cache. As I was searching for a good hidey hole, I found a cache! It is called the Phantom Cache, and has been archived since May '02. It is large, dry and in excellent condition for having weathered 4 winters on a ridgetop over 4000 feet.

I have made an adoption request to the owner who is still a bit active in finding caches and logging ont the website( his other two archived caches are in wilderness areas). Will update with his response.

just a quick question on one that hasnt been updated much...:::

Mosquito fleet 9: Colby combo

Use waypoint: GCJ5D8

May 11 by sheep17 (206 found)

3 DNF for what shouldn't be too tough a find - sounds fishy. I'll investigate when next in the area.

[view this log on a separate page]

so what do i need to do to go about being able to take over this area to put a cache out in that area? :lol:

3 DNF for what shouldn't be too tough a find - sounds fishy. I'll investigate when next in the area.

so what do i need to do to go about being able to take over this area to put a cache out in that area? :lol:

Adoption usually comes into play whn a cache owner is moving away from an area, or when a cache goes into disrepair and the cache owner does not respond to email.

In this case the cache owner appears to be an active cacher. Sheep17 logged into the site just yesterday. You may want to email them and ask if they need help checking on the cache.

Usually an area isn't 'taken over' so to speak. Your options are many:

-Check on the cache for the owner and replace it if missing. That's probably good karma

-Find another reasonable spot nearby that is more than .10 miles from the other hide

-If you email the owner and they decide that they want to archive the cache fro some reason, you can probably hide your own in the same general spot.

Hope that helps!

There is a fairly new 'undocumented feature' for adoptions that geocaching.com activated a while back. This is designed to be used when the original cache owner is still active and has agreed to the adoption. The current owner will go to the adopt a cache page and fill in the requested info. The system will then send an adoption request to the 'new' owner and that person just needs to click on a few links to accept the cache.

If the original owner is missing then you can post the details here and one of the reviewers will help get the cache transfered the old way.

We've received a request from Cricketace44, who doesn't feel able to maintain their geocaches any longer and would like us to find folks willing to adopt them. The caches are -

Great Blue Heron Rookery (GCNFN0)

Knox on Wood (GCKEP4)

Home Run Alley (GCJKT1)

Fort Hall and Beyond (GCJFQN)

The Capretz Method (GCJFM5)

Note that Home Run Alley is currently disabled and needs to be checked to ensure it's still there before we'll enable it and transfer ownership. Otherwise, if the cache is confirmed gone by a previous finder we'll archive the listing and open up the area for new submissions.

If you are interested in adopting any of these geocaches, send me an e-mail and we'll go from there. For obvious reasons you need to have found the container before you can adopt it.

Thanks!

MT Fellwalker

so what do i need to do to go about being able to take over this area to put a cache out in that area? :laughing:

This is being looked into by another cacher. No, not me.

Cache rescue opportunity: Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (project APE cache). From today's logs:

August 31 by FluteFace (148 found)

3rd of 12 on a great day of riding/caching. Much to our dismay, construction was going on just to the west, and materials were being grabbed from just 3 feet to the south. In retrospect, I wish we had moved it. It was easy enough to grab it and put it back when the construction guy took his materials to the actual site. Nice to find it after hearing so much about it. Took geocoin, left jack, kalidascope, FFSig. SL. TFTC.

If somebody gets up there during the week and if construction is still going, it would probably be a good idea to move this one until construction is finished. There is a spot just a bit to the NE that would likely be a good place for now. Aslo, bug drop.

September 1 by Moun10Bike (3169 found)

Yes, if anyone at all can make it up to the cache in the next few days, please save it! I would suggest simply moving it to a safe place nearby and posting the coordinates. There is quite a bit of geocaching history involved with this cache and it would be a shame to see it disappear. I unfortunately and headed out of town for a week, and so I am unable to take care of it.

Moun10Bike's the owner, so there's the permission.

Cache rescue opportunity: Mission 9: Tunnel of Light (project APE cache). From today's logs:

3rd of 12 on a great day of riding/caching. Much to our dismay, construction was going on just to the west, and materials were being grabbed from just 3 feet to the south. In retrospect, I wish we had moved it. It was easy enough to grab it and put it back when the construction guy took his materials to the actual site. Nice to find it after hearing so much about it. Took geocoin, left jack, kalidascope, FFSig. SL. TFTC.

If somebody gets up there during the week and if construction is still going, it would probably be a good idea to move this one until construction is finished. There is a spot just a bit to the NE that would likely be a good place for now. Aslo, bug drop.

September 1 by Moun10Bike (3169 found)

Yes, if anyone at all can make it up to the cache in the next few days, please save it! I would suggest simply moving it to a safe place nearby and posting the coordinates. There is quite a bit of geocaching history involved with this cache and it would be a shame to see it disappear. I unfortunately and headed out of town for a week, and so I am unable to take care of it.

Moun10Bike's the owner, so there's the permission.

Recent logs indicate that the bulldozer stopped just short of the cache and will not be going further. The cache appears to be safe.

In my personal opinion, if the cache is missing and the owner is active then that owner can decide to replace the cache with a new container and keep it active. If the owner is no longer active and the container is missing then the cache should be archived and the area opened up for a new cache. There are exceptions, but I don't see the point in adopting something that isn't there.

If the cache is still available but the owner is MIA then there is something to adopt, even if you choose to replace the container and it's contents.

Edited by Team Misguided

I have several caches I need to place for adoption. One is in need of a cleaning and new log, according to the logs I have been reading. I have moved further up North and just don't get into the Lynnwood area like I need to. As much as I have enjoyed them, I can't perform the maintenance needed. I have:

Pioneer Park - Lynnwood

Slam Dunk

Bling, Bling

Go Mav's!

Roots

Please email me as to which ones you would like to adopt. Thanks!

Introducing myself from down in the Coos Bay, OR area. As the radius of my "cleared" area is approaching 50 miles from Coos Bay I am letting local cachers (and others that have placed caches down here) know that I am willing to consider adopting and/or stopping by to check on caches in this area. I recently adopted Baby Loon from R&T4Sure who adopted it from Coasties who moved from the area.

Team Misquided, regarding R&T4sure's caches I've tried emailing him but get no response. I was going to offer to adopt his eight(8) caches wholesale. He used the adoption request/accept process GC.com has in place now to give me the above mentioned Baby Loon cache. That worked great and it's back online and being found. However, I've had no more responses from him when I offered to adopt one of his other caches. All of these caches would fairly easy for me to maintain. Could you initiate an email to him to see if he will release them? Most of them are active and functioning ok but one needs maintenance and he doesn't seem to very active in the game these days.

Very early in the life of this thread a request was made to get someone to adopt Coastal Cavern. Others made mention of Arago Cliffs and Arago Cliffs, Happy 4th being highly rated cache hunts (for the great views of the coastline experienced there). These have all been archived but I plan to scope these former locations out and try to put new caches here soon. Watch for them Sparrowhawk, yumitori and Lazyboy since you were the ones raving about them.

Along these lines of resurrecting old poplular (but now archived) caches I am having difficulty discovering the "history" of cache locations for this region. Unless I'm missing something you can't search for these using PQ's nor can you find them using the Hide and Seek a Cache search page. Only if I stumble across them in people's logs or in the forums can one get the archived cache page. Anybody know of an easier way of looking for archived caches for a region for the purpose of possibly putting new one's in the old location? Some, like the one's mentioned above, seemed to have been highly rated and it would be a shame not to keep bringing people to these locations.

Whew, that was a long introduction! Sorry.

Along these lines of resurrecting old poplular (but now archived) caches I am having difficulty discovering the "history" of cache locations for this region.  Unless I'm missing something you can't search for these using PQ's nor can you find them using the Hide and Seek a Cache search page.  Only if I stumble across them in people's logs or in the forums can one get the archived cache page.  Anybody know of an easier way of looking for archived caches for a region?

Bring up the "geocaching.com map", the one with icons for caches and red checkmarks for those you've found. Click the box for "List Archived/Disabled Caches". Zoom/scroll for the area you're interested in. Click "identify." If an archived cache is one of the 20 closest to the spot you've selected, you'll see it. It's hit-and-miss, but in a cache-poor region it can find the info you need.

Team Misquided, regarding R&T4sure's caches I've tried emailing him but get no response. I was going to offer to adopt his eight(8) caches wholesale.

Send me an email with the names & GC #'s of all the caches you are looking at taking over. I'll then try to contact the owner and if I get no response I'll see about getting the adoptions processed.

getting ready to leave..military life..been neglecting some caches last couple months just cant get to them lately but im trying to send them off to new cachers now..got 14 in port orchard area a single and a 13-series set..what do i need to do to get them to be adopted by someone???

email or post here..

gregory.schuy@us.army.mil

i should be able to check 4-5 times a week right now

"Sheltonville town history" has been archived by it's owner, I think he did not know that Boppa has been maintaining it. I know that Boppa wants to adopt it but I don't know if he has officially asked. As things stand the cache is archived but I know that it's in great shape and it is a really neat cache.

The best way to process adoptions is through the automated part of the webpage. Once you and the adoptee have agreeed then the current owner of the cache should go to the adopt a cache page and follow a few simple steps. The new cache owner will receive an email asking them if they wish to accept the cache adoption. There is a link to click and that will complete the process.

Thanks, I did do that, but didn't realize the cache owner had to be the one. We have got it figured out now.

Sarah

WATreasureHunters

Cache up for Adoption!

The DuncanClan is moving to Utah at the end of June. I have one cache that is in the Heart Lake park in the Anacortes Community Forest Land on Fidalgo Island. This cache is very special to our clan and would like to see it continue to be visited.

Cache information:

My Sweetheart's Cache

If you are able to take this cache please email me!

DuncanClan Profile

leduncan_@msn.com

DuncanClan

I was sad to see that all the Bob the Horse caches in the Portland area have been archived, because he moved. Those were among the first caches I found, and some of them were downright eeeeevvvilll. I'm not in the area anymore, or I'd adopt a bunch. Maybe someone else could?

BTH removed the cache containers when he archived them, so there's nothing left to adopt.

I acted quickly and adopted the most evil cache before he pulled it. MysterQ has reproduced a few of the BTH classics.

And, now that BTH has settled into his new home, you may have noticed a new cache not far from you.

Since you're looking for "retired" cache hiders, I'd like to bring up a user name that I've come across who seems to have lost interest. fooshfoosh's caches are mostly archived, but there are a few out there still going. I'd be willing to take over "Nick Nolte's Private Diary", although I'd most likely re-hide it in a better spot.

I'll also volunteer to be the last finder and "trash-er out-er" for "Look out for danger Rick" when the snow melts, since it's in a National Forest. Anyone want to join me?

There are a few more fooshfoosh ones out there, but not in my area.

Og

What's wrong with a cache in a National Forest? I didn't see anything in the guidelines prohibiting that.

Many of Montana's are on NF land.

soylentpink

Hi,

The cache, An Owling Good Time (GCFC57), needs some maintenance. I have attempted to contact the owner twice with no response. I suspect that this cache hs been abandoned. My second attempt to contact him was the day I finally logged the cache as I was hoping that might get his attention. No luck.

I see that he has not been on the GC website since May 4, 2004 and I can not find anyone who knows this person. I would be willing to take over this cache which is located in a great area if you would allow it.

I realize that non-voluntary transfers of caches are frowned upon but I wanted to make the offer in the case you too feel that this cache has been abandoned. In either case, I will dispose of the moldy cache contents, clean it up, and place a new log in it if you don't want to transfer it to me, I would just like to see this cache continue and think someone should be responsible for it.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Shebear & Storminn

Hi there...

I've been trying to adopt The Woodpecker Tree (GCJX0K) in Monroe, WA, for a few months now and the owner is MIA... clue is way out of date, no responses to emails, no longer an active geocacher, doesn't live near the cache, etc. etc. This cache has been abandoned.

Unfortunately, the cache has now been muggled. The "owner" is clearly not going to replace the cache or even disable the listing. I'd like to adopt this cache and replace it. I have made every effort to contact the "owner" over the last few months. Can someone help this happen?

Thanks,

Kurt

GK360