Cache Rescue And Adoption Area

Team Misguided

Here's a cache that looks like it could be a good candidate for adoption...

Gold Creek Cache

It had several NFs and was archived almost 2 years ago by the owner, then found again last weekend by the one and only finder. The owner hasn't been online since October 2003 and it sounds like the cache could use some up keep.

Edited by Gloom

That's an interesting one Gloom.

Those finders have only 3 finds and two are for the same cache. Seems odd that they could find it but someone like CFM would get stumped on three seperate attempts. It also sounds like there isn't anything left of the original cache worth saving.

I think this should stay archived. It also looks like this is in or near the Opal Creek Wilderness area. At this time physical caches are prohibited in Wilderness areas. I would encourage anyone who is going to be in that area to take the coordinates and see if they can find what's left of the container and trash it out.

I have sent email to Dr. Ufo Koska iin a last-ditch effort to see if he has any intention of maintaining his caches. I have not heard anything, but would like to give him a full week to reply (even though attenpts to contact him have been made before). If I don't hear anything, then he caches will be available for adoption.

I am able to take over the 1100 Emus cache, if you still are looking.  I will be setting up some new ones in the general vicinity soon, and its on my daily commute.

paul2tele

Offer still stands to take over the Emus. I've already replaced the container and log "unofficially". I also submitted a new cache in the same general vicinity tonight (start your engines!).

Thanks,

paul2tele

I received a response back from Dr. Ufo Koska and he is happy to give up all of his caches. GeoBlank, I made the request to have you adopt "Singularity". The other active Koska caches, plus "The Art of the Fugue", are currently being taken over by fiendorfoe.

Kodak's4 also said he would like to hand over ownership of his caches. Are there any takers for any of them? You can see a complete list here. Please post here or email me if you have a desire to adopt any.

Paul2tele, I am putting in your request for "emus" now.

Hi, I'm interested in adopting a cache up in the Bellevue area:

Death Star

(GC7AF5)

Owner: shorten'sweet

I've tried to contact the owner a couple of times and gotten no response. The cache is a bit tricky and has been hard for people to find, so it's nice to have someone to check up on it after a few DNF's. It was almost given up on. The hint also needs fixing and has caused some unnecessary confusion for people trying to follow it.

I could also adopt another cache near my work in Bellevue:

You can't get there from here!

(GCE3F9)

Owner: Kodak's4

Edited by romulusnr

Does anyone know how to get hold of "hilogirls"? I found the location of the cache "Depot Detour `Elua by hilogirls". The container was missing and the contents scattered all over the ground. I tried emailing them via thier profile on geocache.com but apparently it is an invalid email addr. So I contacted Groundspeak and had them archive the cache until it is restored. I have not heard from the owners yet. I have all the contents in bag in my car, just waiting to be returned to the rightful owners if they would contact me.

Thanks

I would like to adopt this one. It was hidden in July 2003, with no one finding it until we did a couple of weeks ago.. it had been chewed up by animals (it was hidden with bags of chips in it, and there was a mess of paper and platic near the spot we found it)

The owner has not logged into the site since Sepember of 2003, and the e-mail that I sent was returned unopened.

T120 CCV

by BSA Troop 120 In California, United States Hidden: 7/25/2003

Use waypoint: GCGHJW (what's this?)

I'd be willing to adopt GCG07V Welcome To Duvall. It's fairly close to me.

I just put through the request to have the cache transferred to you. I believe that it is the last of the Kodak's4 caches looking for an owner!

wife&mom, you should contact your local approver about adopting the California cache that you mention. We only handle Pacific Northwest caches in this forum.

Hello, everyone.

Has anyone recently visited the cache in Granite Falls "Ladder of Life"?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1d-1dd4058b4b73

The cache is hidden behind a rock that has a graffiti - female. exposed (you know what I mean). Below that it says "Mexican style."

Inside the cache were Mac toys, but also photos of woman in lingerie and a used cigarette lighter which I removed from the cache. 

I was offended and upset. Mexican cachers would be offended too.

I'm a neo-cacher so I don't know if "mature adult theme cache" exists (I doubt it though).

If so, I want to be warned beforehand. I was caching with my kids!

I got an impression that this cache has been neglected for a while.

The log book is totally fallen apart. The owner hasn't been on-line since Sep. 2003.

If someone kindly adopts this cache (I live too far to maintain it), I'd suggest you move the cache away from that rock...

Am I overreacting? If this is typical with geocaching, tell me I need to live with it.

Edited by MustardSeed

I have a cache that could use some work. The question is do I just go and replace the cache box, there has been numerous complaints about the tin box that the cache is in. I emailed the owner, and then I talked to him (since I knew him) he said he didn’t even read my email just deleted it because he didn’t know who it was from. He hasn’t been on since December 03 has 2 finds and one hide. The cache page is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...40-6ecfd6741414

The name of it is Pez Crazy.

Thanks

Ray

Edited by Ray&Rose
Hello, everyone.

Has anyone recently visited the cache in Granite Falls "Ladder of Life"?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1d-1dd4058b4b73

The cache is hidden behind a rock that has a graffiti - female. exposed (you know what I mean). Below that it says "Mexican style."

Inside the cache were Mac toys, but also photos of woman in lingerie and a used cigarette lighter  which I removed from the cache. 

I was offended and upset. Mexican cachers would be offended too.

I'm a neo-cacher so I don't know if "mature adult theme cache" exists (I doubt it though).

If so,  I want to be warned beforehand. I was caching with my kids!

I got an impression that this cache has been neglected for a while. 

The log book is totally fallen apart.  The owner hasn't been on-line since Sep. 2003.

If someone kindly adopts this cache (I live too far to maintain it), I'd suggest you move the cache away from that rock...

Am I overreacting?  If this is  typical with geocaching, tell me I need to live with it.

I have not visited this cache recently, it's been quite a few months, but the cache was in similar shape then. Since my visit I beleive someone has replaced the old broken Tupperware that it was once in with an Ammo box.

I'm not sure what can be done about the graffitti on the nearby rocks. As far as moving the box, if that was done the old cache should probably be archived and a new one put in it's place so that those that have already found this one can search for the new one. Personally I like the current location, but the graffitti might be a problem

If the owner does not step forward and since this cache is fairly close to my home, I would be willing to do some maintenance on this one or even adopt it of necessary.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko

The owner for "Ladder of Life" has not signed onto the site since last September and has failed to respond to issues of maintenance and poor coordinates on that cache. As far as I'm concerned, it should be adopted. RWW, let me know if you want to do that (or remove it and replace it with one of your own) and I will start the process.

The owner for "Ladder of Life" has not signed onto the site since last September and has failed to respond to issues of maintenance and poor coordinates on that cache. As far as I'm concerned, it should be adopted. RWW, let me know if you want to do that (or remove it and replace it with one of your own) and I will start the process.

Ok, lets go for it.

I'll try to get out there this evening or tomorrow to replace the log book and do some general cache maintenance.

One thing I will try to do is get some GOOD coordinates for the box, which could be difficult in that little canyon. The current coordinates place the cache out in the middle of the river. I've got an external antenna on order for my 60c, perhaps that will help or perhaps it will just amplify the error.

As far as moving it.... well the existing location has survived for quite some time. I would hate to move it and have it go missing. I'll take a look and see if anything can be done about the graffitii.

Okay, I put through the request to transfer Ladder of Life to you, Paul. You should see the change within 24 hours. Thanks!!

I have visited the cache and replaced the log book and refreshed the cache swag. There was some graffiti around the cache location so I moved the cache a few feet. It's now closer to where it was when I first found it about a year ago.

I can also tell I'm at least in slightly better shape than I was a year ago. Last year I was totally out of breath when I got back to my car after finding the cache even after making several stops to catch my breath. It was 97 degress out today (*HOT*) and I made it back to the truck with no stops and was barely breathing hard :o

This hobby is obviously good for me!

For those who don't get email from WSGS, Seattle Seekers just posted a note that her Beneath Aurora cache is in need of adoption. She can't continue to maintain it, but does not want to archive it. She says it is a low maintenance cache for those who are interested in adopting it.

The "Granite Creek" cache (GCH0EF) in Juneau, Alaska has never been found. I put in a considerable amount of time with a friend of mine looking for it, to no avail. The owner of this cache hasn't been active since October of 2003. Either the cache has been removed or is hidden in a spot way, way away from the waypoint posted or suggested by the clue.

If no one objects I'd like to adopt the Calapooia Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...21-cb0a28ec690b

I've sent an email to the owner a while back and have gotten no response.

I stopped in a while back to check on this one and I know it's gone, since no one will archive it I'd like a chance to take it over and replace it with a new cache.

At the very least it needs archived.

I'm in need of a cache rescue squad.

I've got a vacation cache left in Seattle. The hiders have not responded to my emails so I'd like a volunteer to go pick up the container. Please PM me or email me if you are able to help.

P.S. It's on Queen Anne Hill to be a little more specific.

This one has been taken care of.

Thanks to all who offered to help.

If no one objects I'd like to adopt the Calapooia Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...21-cb0a28ec690b

I've sent an email to the owner a while back and have gotten no response.

I stopped in a while back to check on this one and I know it's gone, since no one will archive it I'd like a chance to take it over and replace it with a new cache.

At the very least it needs archived.

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Since the container is missing I decided to archive the cache, if the container is replaced by the cache owner I can unarchive it. If the owner doesn't replace it then that will open the area up for a new cache.

Hide & Seek is one of those moving caches that is no longer approved. This one is was placed in January 2002 and has survived nicely with many finds. It is currently in the Bend, Oregon area and I'm the most recent finder. It is suppose to stay in Oregon.

The trouble is that the owners last checked in September 2003 and are listed as "Not Validated Member." The email <j.hendershott@verizon.net> given on the cache page is not current. To work properly someone needs to adopt it and maintain the cache page with new coordinates when it is moved. Also, the cache type should probably be changed to "Mystery." Physical maintenance for this type of cache depends greatly on the finders but has not been a problem in nearly 3 years.

Anyone want to take ownership? I like these kinds of caches (in small doses) and would hate to see it go away, so I'd be happy to take it if no one else expresses an interest.

Edited by bigeddy