Mystery Or Multi Caches Or Both?

GrnXnham

I've been thinking that we need a new cache type--The mystery multi-cache.

By definition a multicache has more than one waypoint while a mystery cache is one where the real coords are not given. You must solve a puzzle to get the real coords on a mystery cache.

But what about caches that involve a puzzle AND multiple waypoints. I've noticed that about half of geocachers that place these caches call these multicaches and half call them mystery caches. Which is it? It's both, right? So shouldn't we have another category called mystery multicaches?

I guess that there could always be other combinations as well like a "mystery event cache" but the mystery multi cache seems to be by far the most common type of combination cache so it is more deserving of having it's own category.

Fire away.

A mystery cache has a starting coordinate, but there is nothing at that coordinate. Sometimes it is in the middle of the lake so you have a general idea where it may be hidden (read: near the lake).

A multicache starts you at point a which either has an answer to get you to point 2, or a physical container with coordinates (or even a sticker of coordinates to the next location).

If someone has a multicache that says "The coordinates are not for the point 1" then it should be a puzzle cache.

If someone has a multicache that says "The coordinates are not for the point 1" then it should be a puzzle cache.

But to the original point, if you call it a mystery cache, you aren't giving the information about the fact that multiple stages are involved. Which is why a new category could be helpful. (Although I understand the problem of increasing categories..are we going to end up with a mystery-multi-micro category?)

(Also, if there is a clear definition in your mind about mystery vs. multi, why don't the cache approvers enforce it? I just did a 5-stage search, listed as a multi, with the first 4 stages coordinates given by solving problems and the 5th stage the result of coordinates given in the preceding stages. And I have seen a number of caches listed as "regular", where the coordinates given are not the location of the cache.)

I am under the impression that people use the Mystery Cache designation on multicaches as a way to circumvent reporting the locations of the stages and final cache during the approval process.

Your impression is incorrect. Cacher hiders are required to include the actual final coordinates of the cache in the submission to the approvers. If they don't, the cache doesn't get approved.

Edited by fizzymagic

But to the original point, if you call it a mystery cache, you aren't giving the information about the fact that multiple stages are involved.  Which is why a new category could be helpful.  (Although I understand the problem of increasing categories..are we going to end up with a mystery-multi-micro category?)

I'm glad someone else is asking this question as well. I have noticed the categories do not seem to be well established, and I am actually working on putting together a cache which would be a multi by Jeremy's definition. The coordinates to stage 1 will be given which will contain a puzzle, not coordinates, to the final stage.

And, I also wish the approvers would be consistent about which is which. Even some multi's are categorized as traditional caches. Once we get into mystery caches, the line seems to be even blurrier! B)

I always looked at the mystery cache as a ... if you want to know what kind of cache it is you better go find it...

This thread has given me a new insite to the mystery cache but at the same time, my original ideas are still valid. Single container, puzzle, or other, it will be a mystery to me unless I go find it.

The ones I have found all have been different but all fit into the mystery box pretty good.