Milestones

bigcall

Having just moved into the area from VA it is interesting to see some of the differences between regions. One that I have noted thus far is the lack of recognition in these forums of geocaching milestones. I always thought it was a nice touch to congratulate someone on the attainment of certain # milestones as they cross them. I'm not sure if this topic has been broached here before (and I realize it is certainly more difficult to track without an official stats site), but I thought I would note a few that I've seen while reading local logs over the past few weeks. If someone thinks that there should not be a series of posts, then perhaps this might serve as the single location to note accomplishments?

Anyway here goes (my apologies to the many that I probably left out - please feel free to add any others):

Spyderuser 1600

Genius Loci 1600

jthorson 1000

geogil 900

maleki 900

Camp637 700

JBGeo 500

Congrats to all!!!

Edited by bigcall

I think part of it is because a significant number of the cachers (At least in the Eastern great lakes part of the midwest) follow the local club sites/discussion groups/forums moreso than the regional forum here.

So a lot of our kudos recognition goes on on the regional club sites (NEOGeo, NWOGeo, TRIGO, MiGO, COG, OKIC, GEOCKY), etc.

But I certainly second the congratulations to all the cachers mentioned above...

My goal now is to get to 300 by my birthday (April 2) -- only need 37 more -- but we keep getting so much snow... :lol:

Cache well, and see you around the bend...

You forgot to mention Bigcall recently passed 900!! [:lol:]

Congratulations to all of those with recent milestones.

I cannot speak for the other territorial groups, but I know that the WI Geocaching Association website forums http://www.wi-geocaching.com is where our state kudos take place on a daily basis.

Also, thanks to the hard work of one of our members (House of Brew) we have up-to-date stats for all the active WI cachers at WI Stats

Well I guess that explains it. <_<

Looking at the Northeast Forums there are something like 13K replies and the Midwest has less that 4K. I was discussing some of the differences between regions with Cathunter the other day and this is certainly another one.

The NE is generally much more loosely organized with a few exceptions. Based on what you are saying, things are broken down into smaller, off-GC subregions. This probably makes sense, when I think about it, since the territory is much larger.

Oh well. I still think it would be nice to share the major milestones in a common forum area.

Hey Big Call,

I am in process of building a new web site that focuses on the Chicago area. I will include milestones on a regular basis. I agree. I feel cachers should be recognized for reaching the next 100 milestone, especially when you crack 1000, 2000, ect...

My plans are to make it a more personal site that is dedicacted to developing a sense of community. The current web site has been dormant for almost a year.

I will depend on user submissions to help it grow and the content will be guided by the cachers in the Chicago area, not be just one individual ( i.e...me)

Other things I plan on including will be:

Cachers stories

Cachers profiles/spotlight/interviews

Pictures submitted by cachers

Listing of new caches in the area

Plus anythig else the peole want to see.

Just a heads up!!