Topozone.com from a newbie

Guest DrewClan

Guest DrewClan

Hiya! I think you folks have done a FANTASTIC job putting up this sport from scratch. Good on ya! Like alot of people I'm sure, I got my little electronic toy for Christmas and just had to run out and do a geocache with it. Here's a note I sent to Jeremy yesterday that I thought might start a little discussion:

I've put out my first geocache in what I think is a terrific spot. I've got a techie question, though, and I pose it because I just love topozone.com maps:

I used the WGS84 datum when I placed the cache, and I use the National Geographic Society mapping software ("Topo!"). My GPS fix and my software match up perfectly.

But Topozone.com uses the NAD27 datum, so when I type in my coordinates, it puts my stash 0.1 mile away, in the middle of a lake! While I think it would be cool to make a scuba stash, that's not my intent this first time.

How do you get past this problem? I'd like my link to topozone.com to be just right before I post the cache.

Thanks, Jay in CT

Guest jeremy

Ultimately I need to actually convert the coordinates to NAD27 and make the link work. In the meantime you can go a roundabout way -

Visit the link below - http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nadcon.prl

Have them convert to Nad27 and enter the coordinates on Topozone.

Jeremy

p.s. Make sure longitude and latitude are positive coordinates. Apparently they have west as positive instead of negative.

p.p.s. Interesting to note that NAD27 was the acceptable method for maps in 1927, and many maps still use these long/lat coordinates. Therefore check and doublecheck your map before going out in the woods! if you see NAD83, it is almost exactly the same as WGS84. See, it's a game and also an educational experience. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 01-05-2001).]

Guest jeremy

Ultimately I need to actually convert the coordinates to NAD27 and make the link work. In the meantime you can go a roundabout way -

Visit the link below - http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/nadcon.prl

Have them convert to Nad27 and enter the coordinates on Topozone.

Jeremy

p.s. Make sure longitude and latitude are positive coordinates. Apparently they have west as positive instead of negative.

p.p.s. Interesting to note that NAD27 was the acceptable method for maps in 1927, and many maps still use these long/lat coordinates. Therefore check and doublecheck your map before going out in the woods! if you see NAD83, it is almost exactly the same as WGS84. See, it's a game and also an educational experience. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by jeremy (edited 01-05-2001).]