Calling All Palm Pdas Users

scarng

Hey,

I'm a neocacher - just started. I'm using a Palm Tungsten T3 with GlobalSat BT-308 GPS Reciever and Arkon PDA Mount for Car. What I'm interested in knowing is what software are you using and why?

I'm using:

CacheNav ver# 1.01

(it resembles more closely a sportrax)

CacheMate ver# 3.4.0

(I can import LOC/GPX - very easy to use)

GPSPilot Compass ver# 5.5c

(PRETTY)

Mapopolis Navigator ver# 1.31 beta

(Route Planning with voice)

Hardware-Sony NX80, Sony Bluetooth memstick, Socket Bluetooth GPS and an Aquapac.

Software- Cachemate,Cachenav, Plucker, Cetus, Mapopolis (old version- give me time I'll buy the newer just cause Cachemate can export to) and DeLorme SS4H with a huge Topo 4 map cut and loaded with a 500 cache waypoint database (overclocked to 375mhz to draw it in a reasonable amount of time).

I have a Zire 71 and a Legend. For software, I have Cachemate 3.4, Plucker, and Mapopolis 1.31beta. I use GSAK to get the caches everywhere - upload to the GPS, export to Cachemate, and export the html files for Plucker. Cachemate exports the caches to Mapopolis if you want.

I'm considering dropping Cachemate. Plucker gives me more ways to sort the caches, and it looks so much better, just like the cache pages in my browser. I have Daynotez installed, and with a template, taking notes is easier than with Cachemate, and the notes are all timestamped.

Currently, Magelan GPS320, Clie SJ22,

Because they are cheap.

Aquapac for both as they might be cheap, but I like them.

Fugawi UK, Tom Tom Citymaps Europe as I like to nav to where I am going with Citymaps and use Fugawi when I am on the ground. I got the Fugawi after the GPS once lead me to a two mile long 100 foot escarpment between me and the cache.

Cachemate - because it is brill!

I have a Zire 71 and a Legend.  For software, I have Cachemate 3.4, Plucker, and Mapopolis 1.31beta.  I use GSAK to get the caches everywhere - upload to the GPS, export to Cachemate, and export the html files for Plucker.  Cachemate exports the caches to Mapopolis if you want.

I'm considering dropping Cachemate.  Plucker gives me more ways to sort the caches, and it looks so much better, just like the cache pages in my browser.  I have Daynotez installed, and with a template, taking notes is easier than with Cachemate, and the notes are all timestamped.

Thanks for the info. I'm new to Geocaching.com and Groundspeak.com. So I'm not familiar with your cache pages. Can you provide a link?

I'm just getting started, I download .gpx file off all the caches in my area. Cachemate shows a ton of information and lets me nav to the cache. It also gives me the last ten logs and hints, which is a big help.

What does plucker do and does it interface with my Tungesten T3 Bluetooth GPS. Remember I only have a gps receiver -- my palm is my mape, my compass, and my wavpoint database.

Truely appreciate the feedback. Very freindly Bulletin Board.

Edited by scarng
Hardware-Sony NX80, Sony Bluetooth memstick, Socket Bluetooth GPS and an Aquapac.

Software- Cachemate,Cachenav, Plucker, Cetus, Mapopolis (old version- give me time I'll buy the newer just cause Cachemate can export to) and DeLorme SS4H with a huge Topo 4 map cut and loaded with a 500 cache waypoint database (overclocked to 375mhz to draw it in a reasonable amount of time).

What is an Aquapac and Cetus, I haven't heard of those two?

Edited by scarng

Cetus is a free Palm application that provides the various displays most GPSrs have for use with those plugin GPS devices intended for Palms that do not have their own screen.

It wil lpoint towards a waypoint, show you your position, speed etc. Give yo ua readout on the satalite locks all the usual stuff other than mapping really.

As for the Aquapacs, they are useful for hanging GPSrs and PDAs round your neck to keep your hands free, as well as protecting your devices from rain and impact. They are designed so the devices remain fully functional within the Aquapac.

Cetus is a free Palm application that provides the various displays most GPSrs have for use with those plugin GPS devices intended for Palms that do not have their own screen.

It wil lpoint towards a waypoint, show you your position, speed etc. Give yo ua readout on the satalite locks all the usual stuff other than mapping really.

Cetus has added the ability to import cache data that includes full geocache descriptions and the hints as described in this forum post. It also supports sorting by distance with reference to the current location or one of the positions in the list. This almost replaces (but not really) the need for Plucker.

Note that at present this requires the beta versions of GPSBabel and Cetus to work.

Plucker gets any web page, html file, or text file, and converts it to a Palm database for viewing with the Plucker viewer on the Palm. You see the web page or html file exactly as it looks on the PC in your browser, color, images, and all. Very cool software, and it's free. The html files generated by GSAK allow you to sort the pages, on the Palm, by distance or direction from whatever locations you give it, as well as by name, Placed by, geo code, found date, with travel bugs, unfound, etc. IMO, Plucker belongs on every Palm. Plucker can be downloaded here.

I'm not sure what you mean by my cache pages. I don't have any, I haven't placed any caches yet. If you mean the cache pages I load into GSAK, I just get a standard pocket query and drop the zip file onto GSAK. GSAK opens the zip file, reads the .gpx and shows the caches, I filter as I like, then generate the html files for Plucker and export the caches to Cachemate. It takes maybe 2 minutes to have everything done. Plucker takes another couple of minutes, then I either hotsync and get the Cachemate and Plucker files, or most of the time I just transfer the files to my SD card via a card reader. Cachemate isn't smart enough to read the caches from the card, so I have to use a file manager to copy the file to RAM. That's another drawback to Cachemate - it's apparently developed on an older Palm with no SD card, and has no VFS support.

Cetus and Cachemate are trying to do the same sort of thing but are working from opposite directions.

Cetus started as a program providing the sort of readouts that a ful GPSr would provide for those devices without it. Recently it has added features that support cache descriptions.

Cachemate started out as a program for maintaining copies of cache descriptions and logs. Recenty a plugin has been produced to allow Cachemate to be used with a plugin GPSr to navigate to a cache.

If I wasn't using a standalone GPSr I would be tempted to use both.

Cetus and Cachemate are trying to do the same sort of thing but are working from opposite directions.

Cetus started as a program providing the sort of readouts that a ful GPSr would provide for those devices without it. Recently it has added features that support cache descriptions.

Cachemate started out as a program for maintaining copies of cache descriptions and logs. Recenty a plugin has been produced to allow Cachemate to be used with a plugin GPSr to navigate to a cache.

If I wasn't using a standalone GPSr I would be tempted to use both.

Thanks for the information, that helps.

Can CETUS read in .gpx files?

Hardware:

Sony Clie-SJ20/U

Magellan Meridian Platinum

Cable from http://www.pc-mobile.com

Current Software

GSAK 3.00 Beta 2 (PC)

CacheMate 3.4.0 (PDA)

CacheNav 1.0 (PDA)

MagellanConnnect 0.95 (PDA - Recorde tracks and more from Magellans)

Past Software

EasyGPS (PC)

CetusGPS 1.1 (PDA)

Geocache Lot 1.1 (PDA)

Geocache Hint Decoder 1.1 (PDA)

I keep seeing this GSAK - what is it, what does it do for you?

i was using an m500 with delorme street atlas hand held addition, cetus and fuzzy's gpx to palmdoc for cache info connected to a magellan gps companion. all great solution, however, i favor mapopolis navigator to delorme because it just seems to run better on the palm side and thats really where i want it to run better. both programs have their downside, but for me, the fact that mapopolis runs much better on the palm vs. delorme was the deciding argument. i stuck with delorme origionally becuse it had a method of getting waypoints onto the maps and mapopolis did not.

Along came cachemate with its mapopolis plug in and problem solved.

i have swtiched to the following setup. cachemate+cachenav and mapopolis navigator on a tungsten C. a better set up for me. i dont have to convert the cachemate database to mapopolis untill i am ready thus saving some memory. i can also store lots of mapopolis maps on the sd card and download them one or two at a time as needed. still learning cachemate.

whats more, i only have to convert the raw gpx file one time using cmconvert whereas with the delorme/cetus setup i was using gpsbabel to convert a gpx file to cetus, xmap hh waypoint and then into fuzzy's gpxto palmdoc (which is a great too for memory concious users as it really is a text file with everything in it and aside from being very easy to use doesn't glom memory).

the delorme mapping is still an excellent choice and i still use it to look at maps on the desktop. The main issue i had iwth it was it took a long long time to search for addresses and create routes, whereas mapopolis does this much quicker comparitevly.

Edited by dboggny

Oh Wow, almost my exact setup. What about this mapopolist plugin???? Explain more. I have cachmate, chachnav and mapopolis. How does the wavpoints from CachMate get to Mapopolis?

Thanks for the information -- sure is making my life much easier. Shortening the learning curve!!!!

I looked in the distribution files for CachMate, I don't see a mapopolis plugin. Here is what I have in the plugin directory:

01/30/2004 07:45 PM 4,202 DistanceCalc.prc

01/30/2004 07:56 PM 593 DistanceCalc.txt

01/25/2004 10:34 AM 3,359 iQueMapping.prc

01/25/2004 02:41 PM 1,539 iQueMapping.txt

01/25/2004 02:14 PM 4,313 NMEAQuery.prc

01/25/2004 02:40 PM 463 NMEAQuery.txt

12/31/2003 11:17 AM 5,926 UTMCoord.prc

01/03/2004 10:43 AM 402 UTMCoord.txt

8 File(s) 20,797 bytes

You have to go get some of the plugins, like the Garmin export and Mapopolis export. The Garmin plugin allows you to send the waypoints from Cachemate to your Garmin GPS, and the Mapopolis plugin sends the waypoints to your address book, where Mapopolis looks for them. Make sure you send them to a separate category in your address book, because that's the only way you can delete them en masse, through the desktop. Otherwise, you have to go through your address book and delete possibly hundreds of entries one at a time. This is entirely the fault of Mapopolis (and Palm), not of Cachemate.

Cachemate isn't smart enough to read the caches from the card, so I have to use a file manager to copy the file to RAM.  That's another drawback to Cachemate - it's apparently developed on an older Palm with no SD card, and has no VFS support.

Not yet, anyway...

When I can get it done (hopefully for the next feature release), the bulk of the data will be able to go on a memory card. There will still be a database that has to stay in main memory, to keep most of the functionality available, but it shouldn't be nearly as large.

I haven't done much research, but this is the setup I use currently.

I use GSAK 3.00 beta to take my pocket queries (GPX). I export to my Magellan SporTrak MAP and to cachemate. It's worth noting that since my GPX files do not include caches I have found/hidden, I always wipe the GSAK database on import, and I always clear everything out of GPSr and CacheMate before export.

I'm looking at either getting/making a cable to go from my Handspring to my SporTrak, or getting a used Magellan GPS module for my Handspring, as a way of doing basic navigation and nearby caches lookup...

Visor Pro, Magellan GPS Companion, GSAK, Cachemate. I use that combination most of the time now. Prior to Cachemate's gps software used Cetus.

Have used Geoniche, but don't like the way you get waypoints from geocahing.com. (mining).

(When driving in areas that I'm not familiar my navigator turns on the laptop and connects it to a Magallen ColorTrak and uses Delorme Topo. Map pins can be brought in via GSAK to locate caches)

If I'm backpacking someplace I will use Fugawi for maps. Note: I always carry a paper maps and a compass.

Oh Wow, almost my exact setup. What about this mapopolist plugin???? Explain more. I have cachmate, chachnav and mapopolis. How does the wavpoints from CachMate get to Mapopolis?

Thanks for the information -- sure is making my life much easier. Shortening the learning curve!!!!

sorry it took so long to get back to the thread. looks like your question is already answered. if you need help with it, send me a private email

db

Plucker because it worked for me when I tried it, and was a vast improvement over MobiPocket.

Anything is a vast improvement over MobiPocket! ;) However, I ran into problems with Plucker, namely, it takes a long time (several minutes) and generates large files (300kb+) to parse one cache page at a 2-level depth (needed to get linked images). And it is useless with queries. Then, there is the clumsiness of reading the large pages on the small PDA screen. All-in-all not very functional.

How do you use it that works better?

I'm using a HP Jornada (forgot the model number) with a Pharos GPS and running Delorme Xmap. Nice patch that Delorme has lets me load topo maps onto the PPC. Pretty nice setup but topos take too long to draw, so usually just stick with the street level stuff.

I'm looking for geocaching software that'll run on a windows based palm with an SH3 processor. I've looked at all sorts but haven't found any that are compatible. I think I screwed myself getting the HP. Probably would've been better with a Palm V or something else running the Palm OS. Any suggestions for software?

First Configuration:

Palm Tungsten T3-Cachemate 3.4 with Mapopolis Pugin-Mapopolis-Magellan Meridian Platinum.

Second:

Palm Zire 21, Cachemate 3.4 with Mapopolis Plugin-Mapopolis-Garmin GPS76.

I don't use the Tungsten in the deep woods much, as I tend to lose things. The Zire is much more replacable.

Started this game at the turn of the Century with a Handspring Visor Deluxe and a Magellan GPS Companion for Visor. Immediately trashed the bundled mappoing software. Added Mapopolis (got on their beta testing group for discounts), and Cetus. That setup has been the same for about 4 years, and now I'm experiencing culture shock with my new Legend.

VF

Hardware:

Garmin iQue 3600 (Voice guided routing/navigation & cache management + all the other PDA type stuff)

Garmin Legend (in the field - download co-ords at home/in the field using GSAK/CacheMate)

Software:

GSAK V3

CacheMate V3.4.0

Garmin City Select Europe V6

EasyMPS

Was:

Hardware:

Garmin eTrex Vista

Palm m505

Software:

Utopia

GPX Spinner

Plucker (yes, it takes a LONG time, especially at the depth required to include the hint)

CacheMate

Now:

Hardware:

Garmin 60CS

Palm Tungsten C

Software:

GSAK

Plucker (can be set one layer "shallower" for GSAK output w/ hint on same page - still runs slow, but fast)er

CacheMate

Then new Palm has plenty of memory, and I like having both CacheMate as well as "spun" web pages for the data - for those rare occasions where a photo may be required to solve a puzzle, provide a clue, etc.

Of course, it's an ever-moving target, and there have been LOTS of variations along the way - but this is what I end up using most often...

hth,

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

GPS: Legend with Mapsource Metroguide (waiting for my 60CS with CitySelect to arrive)

PDA: Palm Tungsten E

Software: Cachemate. I also have GSAK, but I haven't yet figured out what it can do for me that I can't do already. (Can anyone help me out on that, based on my configuration? I'm not sure what changes I will have to make when my 60CS arrives either)

Palm IIIxe,it's cheap,uses AAA batteries and I can load 1000's of cache pages on it with Cachemate3.4,I use GSAK3.0 to load and convert the caches to the Palm format!!I'm usiing a Magellan Meridian yellow GPS with a 512MB SD memory card!

Edited by graldrich

Hardware

Palm IIIXE

Software

A massive perl program I wrote which runs on my mail server.

It grabs an email with a PQ in it.

Unzips the GPX

Reformats the GPX to HTML

Calls Plucker

Grabs the output of plucker and attaches it to the email

Reformats the GPX to Mapsource wpt file.

attaches that to the email

Then forwards the email to my mailbox.

When I get the email at home all I have to do sync the palm, open the wpt file and save it to my GPS V.

Allen

I also have GSAK, but I haven't yet figured out what it can do for me that I can't do already. (Can anyone help me out on that, based on my configuration?
Very little. You can do almost anything that GSAK does with other tools, but it does almost everything in one program, with a GUI interface.

GSAK will open the zip file the PQ arrives in, just by dropping it on GSAK on the screen or in the taskbar. It will filter, sort, slice, dice, and chop the caches as you like, then export them to almost anything you can think of - lots of different file formats, to Cachemate, to html files, and to your GPS. The 60cs will be a problem, though, because it uses a USB connector, not serial. The GPS interface standard is serial, and Garmin seems to want to keep its USB protocol secret, so you can't transfer directly to the 60cs from anything except Mapsource. No more loading directly to the GPS. I'm not sure Garmin thought the USB thing through completely. GSAK will export to Mapsource, though.