New CITO Log Type?

Jeremy

Should we have a new Cache In Trash Out log type?  

259 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The thing that suprises me is that if HALF the people who claim to CITO actually did it on a regular basis, the cache areas would be AMAZINGLY clean.

That's not happening.

In fact I've been to several caches where it seemed that cachers had left trash. (someone left a dirty diaper and wipes right next to one cache deep in the woods, I find it hard to believe it was a muggle.)

There definitely needs to be more incentive to CITO, and something attached to the logs would do this. Some may still 'cheat' but I have no doubt it would help a lot. I know it would be a great reminder, and for me it would definitely make a difference.

A new log type would work. I think it could make a huge difference in incentive to do this.

I join those who think a checkbox to add for a find or a note would be best.

Worth a shot, if it's annoying or abused, it could be removed.

I'm voting yes.

it won't be long before some people start entering a log for each piece of trash they pick up

If someone counts a CITO for picking up one piece of trash, it's still one less piece of trash out there, and if 20 people count a CITO for taking one piece of trash, the trail to the cache could very well be cleared where it wouldn't have been before.

If some people care that much about how many CITO other people have enough to go look at their logs under a microscope and count them, it seems to me that's the nosey people's problem. really.

I suppose that should be the Real question...

Would a CITO log type cause you to CITO more often?

For me, it would (yes I know it shouldn't because all cachers should cito every time anyway, but like most people, I don't.)

I'd think that if even 10% of people say yes to that question, and in reality I think it would be higher in the wild, then the CITO log is worthwhile, even if seeing the logs is kind of annoying (which it may be, who knows.)

if it turns into some kind of CITO 'competition' I think that would be the greatest thing for Geocaching, and frankly for parks all over the world... what an impact from such a little thing.... kind of mind blowing. A half million geocachers picking up just one extra piece of trash a week, all year... :P

at first I really didn't think too much of the idea, but the more I think about this, the cooler it sounds.

Seeing as this is a two year old thread, I'm guessing the idea didn't get a lot of traction at the time. Maybe one day far in the future, we could get some sort of event dedicated to the CITO idea. And then you could get a special icon for attending such an event and practicing some concentrated CITO.

Seeing as this is a two year old thread, I'm guessing the idea didn't get a lot of traction at the time. Maybe one day far in the future, we could get some sort of event dedicated to the CITO idea. And then you could get a special icon for attending such an event and practicing some concentrated CITO.
How funny! I saw this topic popup yesterday and it was only two pages long so I never looked at the date! So I guess the "no"s won it. In the past year or so I've been to three CITO events. The San Diego Geocachers have even adopted a two miles stretch of highway 78 out in the Anza Borrego desert! I still can't believe how much crap that people throw out the windows of their vehicles.... :P Edited by TrailGators

The thing that suprises me is that if HALF the people who claim to CITO actually did it on a regular basis, the cache areas would be AMAZINGLY clean.

That's not happening.

I don't agree. If the area gets new litter on a regular basis then the total amount wouldn't seem to be decreasing even if everyone that visits the cache is removing trash.

The other thing to consider, is what is the 'minimum' amount to CITO? If everyone that visits removes the first two pieces of portable junk (say two soda cans) on their way back from the cache, it does help the area. However it won't be as noticed as if everyone that visits each spend an hour filling a huge black 40gal trash bag.

In fact I've been to several caches where it seemed that cachers had left trash. (someone left a dirty diaper and wipes right next to one cache deep in the woods, I find it hard to believe it was a muggle.)

There definitely needs to be more incentive to CITO, and something attached to the logs would do this. Some may still 'cheat' but I have no doubt it would help a lot. I know it would be a great reminder, and for me it would definitely make a difference.

A new log type would work. I think it could make a huge difference in incentive to do this.

I join those who think a checkbox to add for a find or a note would be best.

Worth a shot, if it's annoying or abused, it could be removed.

I'm voting yes.

You would hope geocachers are improving the area as a whole, but getting everyone in large group to do everything the same thing the same way is impossiable.

As for voting yes, and incentive... this thread's from 2004, so it would seem at the least that the idea of a new log has been tabled.

so the people who vote no either CITO every time (yea right), and think everyone else does (sure), or just don't give a carp about trash in parks? or is it that they are too concerned with how everyone else plays?

not sure I understand.

We're used to it.

No, just kidding.

I can't speak for others but, I think a new log type will just clutter things up.

I much prefer the idea of a check box on the existing log types.

Add to that the constant bickering over find counts and all we will see is arguing over cito counts.

No matter how it's implemented(if it's implemented) please please PLEASE, don't keep a stat on it.

As for the actual citoing, I'll pick up some trash along the trail. I am not going to clean up walmarts parking lot.

so the people who vote no either CITO every time (yea right), and think everyone else does (sure), or just don't give a carp about trash in parks? or is it that they are too concerned with how everyone else plays?

not sure I understand.

Yep thats it, everyone that voted NO likes trash in the parks :laughing:

When you CITO at a cache site, should you have a logtype you can use in addition to the ones that exist now?

They would *not* be counted as a find, but may be used in another category of # of locations cleared.

Benefits:

1. Logs can be aggregated for galleries and statistical purposes

2. Reinforces the "Cache In Trash Out" mantra

3. Badge of honor for doing what's right.

Drawbacks:

1. Already too many log types.

2. Clutter up the cache listings with 2 logs per person.

Hi there Jeremy,

Can I suggest the use of the control key to make the log a cito and a regular log in one swoop.

I do like the idea for marking a cito on a cache and logging it too.

I didn't read every single post so forgive me if this has been suggested: What if there was a check box on your initial log for the find that says you CITO'd? A checkmark would appear in a CITO column next to the cache on your profile and there could be a spot on the cache page for "Last CITO'd by (insert user here)".

Credit for CITO, positive reinforcement and no double-logging, all in one. :anitongue: