Opting Out.

Ever seen one of these: B) ???

I know Jeff personally. He's even been to my house. If he doesn't like my jokes, he can PM me.

I too know Jeff (Team 360) and support his choice not to sign the online logs! Jeff has contributed immensely to geocaching. I've enjoyed many of his caches - many of which have ranked as some of my most challenging finds, and definitely fun. I would say, "he's paid his dues!"

Besides, I enjoy writing in my logs about the interesting cachers that I've met, or interesting experiences relating to the cache ... and if Jeff started signing the online logs, I wouldn't be able to joke with him as much as I do. B)B)

I am in it strictly for the fun. The only challenge is to myself. That is why I do not log any caches found. I would do so if numbers were no longer posted. When I was in about 4th grade, the boys used to have contests in the rest room at school, to see who could pee the highest on the wall. I thought that was silly then, and I cannot see the difference between that and the people who visited a certain city and "bagged" (their term) 301 caches in 6 days (72 in one day). To me, that is just a blatant attempt to add to the numbers and not something that I personally would be proud of.

I do, however, always leave a note in the cache log itself thanking the person for hiding the cache, along with any other observations or comments about the hunt.

By the way, I have actually been a member since July 2001; I changed my nickname due to a conflict.

I am in it strictly for the fun. The only challenge is to myself. That is why I do not log any caches found. I would do so if numbers were no longer posted. ...I cannot see the difference between that and the people who visited a certain city and "bagged" (their term) 301 caches in 6 days (72 in one day). To me, that is just a blatant attempt to add to the numbers and not something that I personally would be proud of.

But the confusing part for me is why the numbers bother you so much that you would not log your valuable entry. Why do you see it only as competition? Why does it bother you what others think about your numbers? As I said before, 35 finds is a good number, 200 is a fantastic accomplishment. What the H*** does it matter???

I'll never catch the "big girls & boys" and I don't even want to. The numbers are for me to enjoy my accomplishments and to let others know how active (or not) I am.

P.S. From my expierence 27 finds in one day is very stimulating. Big numbers such as you quoted can be a great physical and mental challenge, also very stimulating. It is not just for bragging rights even though they've earned it. (And so what if they do brag?)

I think the whole idea of the "opt-out" is not being understood here.

The "opt-out" is just the ability to make the statistical summary of

your finds, DNFs, placed caches, etc. unavailable for your own ID.

I started to get into that game... I was pretty eager and worked

hard to get my first FTF. Since that time, I have hardly done

any caching.Just too busy with real life right now.

I haven't quit, and I did actually do some caching sorta... I went

to a local geocache event, and I went and found one of my caches

that turned up missing for awhile (and made a better device to

obscure it from view now that summer is coming and traffic

will increase in the area). I also did the Yellow Jeep Fever cache.

And, tomorrow we are looking at a sailboat... an old sailboat..

and I'm sure you can guess what that will do to my non-existant

"free time"...

But eventually I'll get back to caching. There are a lot of new ones in

my area.

I think the whole idea of the "opt-out" is not being understood here.

The "opt-out" is just the ability to make the statistical summary of

your finds, DNFs, placed caches, etc. unavailable for your own ID.

I started to get into that game... I was pretty eager and worked

hard to get my first FTF. Since that time, I have hardly done

any caching.Just too busy with real life right now.

I haven't quit, and I did actually do some caching sorta... I went

to a local geocache event, and I went and found one of my caches

that turned up missing for awhile (and made a better device to

obscure it from view now that summer is coming and traffic

will increase in the area). I also did the Yellow Jeep Fever cache.

And, tomorrow we are looking at a sailboat... an old sailboat..

and I'm sure you can guess what that will do to my non-existant

"free time"...

But eventually I'll get back to caching. There are a lot of new ones in

my area.

Exactly! I agree wholeheartedly. Another point being missed is that there are some people in these forums who DO attach undue importance to the number of finds made by others. I don't care enough about this to go searching through the forums, but I have seen instances where someone has implied that someone else doesn't know what they are talking about (or that their opinion is of no consequence) because they do not have very many cache finds showing. And, I am sure that there are people who do not post to these forums because they are reluctant to subject themselves to that type of ridicule.

What's the score, anyway? I bet someone knows......