Northeast Sublime

voltaire

Hi Folks

I'm planning a trip across the country this summer, eventually reaching Maine before I return to

California. While this is somewhat a vacation, my real purpose is to explore our notions of the

sublime, using GPS technology and your explorations to assist me.

My course across the country will be determined by the GPS coordinates for sublime sites that

fellow geocachers submit. If you have come across such sites yourselves and you have the coordinates for them, I would really appreciate your letting me see what you discovered. If you'll send me the coordinates, I'll attempt to incorporate the sites into my trip.

The sublime has a long history with regards to landscape and images of landscape. I am interested in our collective notions of it and how we explore it through using GIS systems. This may present interesting ideas in relationship to 18th and 19th century exploration and ideas about sublime written about by such philosophers as Kant and Burke.

I hope you'll find this somewhat interesting yourself and help me out by submitting coordnates of

sublime sites you've visited in your area or in other parts of the country. It'll make my trip that much more fun.

Thanks,

voltaire

Thanks for the suggestion, Brian.

Basically, I'm looking for awesome sites that you have come across in your

geocache explorations, sites that set you back, made you stop and reflect

for a moment due to their beauty, or vastness, or physical presence, or...

These could be sites that are somewhat isolated (I won't be able to do much

hiking - though some might be in order), or they might be sites closer to urban

settings. Experiences that you felt were sublime due to variables such as

weather should not be included - I am specifically interested in types of topography,

especially since weather is unpredictable.

If you are interested, here is a site that gives a brief background on the philosophical

aspect of the sublime. http://www.philosophynow.org/archive/artic...11hirshberg.htm

I hope this helps a bit. I hope it doesn't appear to be such a "tall order" afterall.

I am basically looking for awesome places to visit.

Thanks,

voltaire

I can think of a number of places that might fit your criteria. I don't have the coordinates, but I can probably get them easily, with using my NG Topo! software.

One is a little spring that comes directly out of the rocks near the summit of Slide Mountain in the Catskills. The summit of Slide is quite popular and has some very nice views. It's so popular, that on a nice day you'll find dozens of people there (I counted over 100 once). But on the eastern side, a few hundred feet below the summit is this spring and enough room for 2-3 people. Since most of the hikers approach Slide Mtn. from the west, they never make it to this spring, but it has the coldest and best tasting water I ever had the pleasure of drinking. All you need is a cup. No filters, or purification tablets. On top of that though is the view. It may be among the finest in the northeast. You see most of the Catskill peaks spread out before you and on a clear day, the Hudson River valley and Berkshire Mtns are visible in the distance. If the weather is bad it makes the experience even better, because instead of the grand view, you get this feeling of isolation that is hard to describe.

Number two is the summit of Cadillac Mtn in Acadia National Park in Maine. Off the beaten path? Definitely not. But being there for sunrise certainly fits my definition of sublime, though it may not pass Kant's test (but, as I always say, Immanuel Kant, but Ghengis Kahn). :blink:

Number three is any place along the Allagash River in Maine. I canoed the river twice and both times I was awestruck by the experience. The first sensation was one of total silence. No jets overhead, no cars in the distance. I've spent many years backpacking in the northeast, but no matter how far away I was from civilization, I could still hear the remote roar of it, but not along the Allagash. No sounds other than the water, wind, our paddles and our own voices, which seemed to shatter the silence any time we spoke. The sense of isolation adds to it. Not seeing another human being for 2-3 days at a time is almost startling for someone like me who grew up in a city.

Oh, one more. Mcsorley's Ale House in New York City (the scene of a recent geocaching event). Its hard to describe, but I hope this helps. Take 5 parts history, 2 parts tradition, 4 parts camaraderie, 3 parts good ale, 1 part Limburger cheese, 5 parts of New York City surliness along with 3 parts of NYC friendliness. Add a generous helping of dust, shake well and serve. The results are certainly sublime.

Edited by briansnat

Hi voltaire, just our two cents here...each of us comes from a VERY different place in regard to where we grew up...one a Brooklyn (NY) girl, the other a West Virginian...now we're both in northern NJ. Funny thing is, we can both agree that both the "city" and the "country" can produce the sublime.

I can tell you that New York City offers SO much...just about anything you want...on the other hand, some of the most awe-inspiring places I've seen have been where very few others have been or have thought the same (and I haven't been that far from NY). Coney Island on an overcast day is great (well, its great most days), but so is the ride to West Virginia as well as NE Pennsylvania. Out of the ordinary to bordering on just plain strange, check weirdnj.com (there are several caches in NJ incorporating this). The Skyline Drive (Virginia) is perhaps one of my best memories from "family vacations"...

As for me, (WV girl) the sublime can be standing in Times Square, any day, any kind of weather. It is a man-made kind of sublime, that because of our own creation, doesn't stop. Standing atop of Garrett Mountain (see Small World cache in NJ) on a clear day you can see Paterson, NJ over to the Verrazano Bridge in Brooklyn (or Staten Island). It is also amazing on an overcast day because it looks as though Manhattan is missing... As for home (WV) US Route 219 from Oakland MD to Elkins WV (and further) is probably what heaven looks like, even in the winter with bare trees.

Hope that helps in your planning...if you'd like more information from us, please let us know (and it sounds like a GREAT trip!).

Great to hear from you all.

I've done a little canoeing in both Maine, the Dead River, and Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh's

my hometown). I hope I can make it up to Cadillac Mt. The Catskills would be great, too.

Part of what I'm doing involves taking a look at the topography of the sites before leaving

for the fun of seeing what I find when I'm actually there. So if you've got the coordinates

for locations, I'd sure appreciate them. I'm also like the idea of planning my trip using the

coordinates - a sort of national geocache.

I appreciate the New York city sublime, too. If you have coordinates for specific sites, I'd

love to check them out. I visit New York every year for the art scene and always have fun.

One of the possible limitations is that I may do this trip by motorcycle; a fun (grueling?) ride

but it will limit the length of hikes to sites.

This is probably asking a bit much, but anyone willing to let me spend a night or two

at their place (on the floor, tent in the yard, whatever), it would really help me to

keep costs down, and be a fun way to meet people.

Thanks,

voltaire

Hi again Voltaire, we can send you specific coordinates, but it may take a while. Let us know what you're interested in (as far as what we mentioned) and we'll see what we can do. BTW, briansnat's virtual of Paterson Falls is awfully neat, too ( a BIG waterfall in the middle of a VERY urban area)...there are a bunch of cachers we've found (through forums and caches) that seem to be well versed in all the cool things to find in this area (thanks to all of you)...try looking at zip codes 07012 (ours), 18439 (area in NE PA we mentioned), 26287 (the WV area), and of course 10001 (NYC).

Slide Mtn. Spring:

N41.59.953

W74.23.058

These are approximate and come from Nationa Geographic Topo, but I've been pretty good at figuring out coordinates of places using it. I'm 90 percent certain that these will put you very close to the spring...but even if they are off a bit they will put you close enough to find it on your own. It's about 20 feet off the trail and hard to miss. The spring is about an hour and a half walk from Slide Mountain Road. You'll have plenty of company on your walk to the summit, but when you descend the short distance to the spring, you see perhaps a handful of people along the way.

Cadillac Mtn:

N44.21.139

W68.13.471

Again they come from Topo, but these are the coordinates for the summit. There is a road to the top, so its a quick walk from the parking lot. Be there a bit before sunrise. Its spectacular and I'm told its the first place you can see the sunrise in the USA.

McSorley's Ale House:

N 40.43.728

W073. 59.389

Edited by briansnat

Although not on a direct route from NYC to Maine, you would be hard pressed to surpass the beauty (sublime) of the Adirondacks. Two spots come to mind-1) the view from Asgaard, the farm owned by the late artist Rockwell Kent, is amazing, particularly on a sunny morning with the light hitting the mountians in front of you and at sunset with the mountains in stark relief; 2) the castle at the top of Whiteface Mt which was built in the 1930s and the views from same. Both of these require no hiking, driving can do it, although plenty of opportunities exist if you so desire! Coordinates for Whiteface are: 44 21.952 N; 073 54.188 W. I will get back to you with Asgaard's. B)

Edited by Tom-n-Cat

Hey Tadpole,

I just caught your request for my specific interests....

I am open to anything that sticks out in your mind as

one-of-a-kind, or maybe awe-inspiring is better. And

I totally agree that this happens in either urban or

rural setting - I might even say this could happen in

suburban settings.....maybe.

One thing worth mentioning: I'm thinking that before

leaving on this trip I will select sites to visit by looking

an 3-D computer renderings of their topography. I am

mostly doing this so that I can make comparisons between

what I think I'll see and what I actually do see once at

the given site. This seems to direct my search in a more

topographic direction than a cultural one (cities being sites

that may have a more cultural sense of sublime, if you

follow my thinking). Still, I am interested in populated

locations.

voltaire

The Shawgunk mountain range is pretty awesome. Called the 'gunks climbers.

Trail access at N41:44.224' W74:11.663'

South end of the cliffs: N41:41.669' W74:14.885'

North end of cliffs: N41:45.822' W74:09.339'

That's almost 10 miles of cliffs. Most are over 100 feet tall, some over hanging. The best views are from the highway looking at the cliffs.

Hi Folks

voltaire here just checking in to encourage more sublime site coordinate submissions.

At this point I have about 22 total. Most of them are in the Northwest. If you know of sites

that inspire awe, and they can be rural or urban, I'd sure appreciate hearing about them

so that I can incorporate them into my cross-country trek this summer.

v.

Hi, voltaire here, refreshing my request for

sublime sites, or as pjmorse said, places

that make you say "wow!"

I'm looking for the coordinates of sites, rural or uban, that

have left you in awe, due to the site's topography (?).

The reason I've used the term sublime is because I'm

interested in the history and conception of that term, but

you probably don't want to hear about that too much.

I'll be leaving for a cross-country motorcycle trip in late June

to check out the sites you recommend, document them, and consider

how our current thoughts about sublime may, or may not,

relate to ideas from the past.

Anyway, I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,

voltaire

Hey Voltaire,

Check out these locations.

NY Rt 23A west of Catskill, NY. Near Tannersville. See Kaaterskill Falls.

I have some Southwest locations for you that topographically blew my mind.

#1- Zion NP along Virgin River. N37d17.11', W112d56.90' Check the East entrance road, too. Major wind and water cut rock there. (See drainage below bridge at East end of tunnel.)

#2- Glen Canyon Nat'l Mon. Anywhere you can see it. I hear the water is down to 60% capacity. I remember National Geographic covered the canyon while the waters were rising for the first time in the '60s.

#3- Colorado River along Utah Highway 128. N38d48.23', W109d20.23' Red rock cliffs and water.

#4- Colorado Nat'l Mon. South of Fruita, CO. N39d6.40', W108d43.97' Sleeping out under the stars is mandatory.

Good luck with your trip!

Kaaterskill Falls is a good choice. I believe they are the highest falls in NY. The rock carvings at the top dating back to the mid 1800's are really cool. Someone even carved a replica of a mercury dime into the rocks.

Back in the 1800's the falls were a major tourist attraction. There was a huge hotel built nearby and one enterprising person dammed the stream above the falls and would charge people to release water and send it over the falls.

I was at Kaaterskill Falls on Saturday. (Girlfriend wanted to get mexican dinner at Pancho Villa's in Tannersville.) We hung out at the top of the falls (Laurel House Rd.). I found one carving from 1829 and another from 1810. I also found ash, metal and china shards just upstream from the old Laurel House Hotel.

Hey MarcG

When I enter lat. and long. coordinates in Geocaching's search

I get a whole list of possibilities as opposed to the specific site

mentioned. Do you, or anyone, know why and how I can get to

the specific site?

Thanks,

voltaire

Voltaire-

I see what you mean, now. When I enter the coordinates for highway 128 in Utah into the first seach page, I get results from far flung places like the Bahamas and Saskatchewan. When I manually enter the coordinates on the second search page like THIS, I get the proper results of all the nearest caches to the coordinates. Strange, but I don't have an explanation.

BrianSnat- I had to climb a tree to get that shot! It resembles a historical photo I saw in a book that included the hotel and other structures atop the falls. I think the book was "Rip Van Winkle Railroads."

Edited by Marc G.
Shawgunk Mountain Range, the name is curious enough.

The Gunks are an interesting area. Whats even more curious is how the name is pronounced, which is nothing like the way its spelled and why people have just decided to call them the "Gunks".

In a somewhat phonetic attempt, it's pronounced "Shongums". Although very few locals call it anything but the gunks. I can direct you to local camping and provide sublime coordinates when you come.

Hi

For those of you who have been so generous to contribute your thoughts

and site suggestions (and for anyone who is interested), I thought you might

like to see the collection of "sublime sites" that I have received over the past

couple of months. As I've said previously, it's surprising how few (none in

many cases) sites came in from the South, the West and the Southwest. I

definitely have a lot to check out in any case.

Here's the list:

waterfall 3 Mississippi: Wilkinson Cnty

by katie, josh, and shane [profile]

N 31° 04.382 W 091° 31.466 (WGS84)

UTM: 15R E 640766 N 3438632

GQ's Headcase Texas: Fort Bend Cnty

by Geek-Qualizer [profile]

N 29° 38.450 W 095° 39.703 (WGS84)

UTM: 15R E 242317 N 3281949

Cat Tails Falls - Big Bend Texas: Brewster Cnty

by gowerd [profile]

N 29° 16.386 W 103° 20.154 (WGS84)

UTM: 13R E 661667 N 3239392

Buck Trail Kentucky: Menifee Cnty

by Weedhopper [profile]

N 37° 48.096 W 083° 37.998 (WGS84)

UTM: 17S E 268161 N 4187069

Our Favorite Li'l Bridge Kentucky: Menifee Cnty

by The Li'l Bears [profile]

User's Web Page

N 37° 49.130 W 083° 34.750 (WGS84)

UTM: 17S E 272981 N 4188849

Janus' Li'l Vacation Home Kentucky: Powell County

by The Li'l Bears [profile]

User's Web Page

N 37° 49.621 W 083° 50.455 (WGS84)

UTM: 17S E 249965 N 4190426

Pinch 'Em Tight Kentucky: Menifee/Powell Cnties

by Weedhopper [profile]

N 37° 48.630 W 083° 38.684 (WGS84)

UTM: 17S E 267183 N 4188085

St. Louis Arch Virtual Cache

by bjbest and Big Jimmy [profile]

N 38° 37.501 W 090° 11.085 (WGS84)

UTM: 15S E 745081 N 4278926

Horse-Shoe Hill Michigan: Manistee Cnty

by SomeThingAboutMary [profile]

N 44° 19.858 W 085° 50.847 (WGS84)

UTM: 16T E 591890 N 4909280

Natural George Missouri: near Kansas City ? Cnty?

by Recre8 [profile]

N 39° 05.254 W 094° 21.525 (WGS84)

UTM: 15S E 382486 N 4327373

Platte River Run Nebraska: Buffalo Cnty

by Rocknroll [profile]

N 40° 39.648 W 098° 59.333 (WGS84)

UTM: 14T E 500940 N 4501104

One Specific Place Nebraska: Douglas Cnty

by redd [profile]

User's Web Page

N 41° 14.717 W 096° 04.212 (WGS84)

UTM: 14T E 745499 N 4570127

The NWern most cache in the continental US! Washington: Clallam Cnty This is literally on the West Coast and may be difficult to find.

by fooshfoosh and family [profile]

N 48° 23.154 W 124° 43.603 (WGS84)

UTM: 10U E 372160 N 5360633

Strange Waters Oregon: Marion Cnty.

by 7Bicks [profile]

N 44° 45.935 W 121° 47.771 (WGS84)

UTM: 10T E 595265 N 4957615

Walker Hole California: Del Norte Cnty ? near the coast ? may be difficult

by Seesthewind & Redwoodmama [profile]

N 41° 49.995 W 124° 06.974 (WGS84)

UTM: 10T E 407315 N 4631865

Have Fun Storming the Castle! Oregon: Jefferson Cnty

by Zzzoey, illDRIVEuNav & DrNOitall [profile]

N 44° 38.710 W 121° 34.342 (WGS84)

UTM: 10T E 613212 N 4944525

Mosier Tunnels Re-Revisited Oregon: Hood River Cnty

by Two Geo Sisters [profile]

N 45° 41.284 W 121° 26.432 (WGS84)

UTM: 10T E 621430 N 5060573

Some Gave All Massachusetts: Berkshire Cnty ? close to the coast ? maybe

unmappable

by Planet/the Bryno [profile]

N 42° 38.405 W 073° 09.846 (WGS84)

UTM: 18T E 650514 N 4722482

Swamp Thing New York: Putnam Cnty.

by Tree Frogs [profile]

N 41° 30.457 W 073° 35.967 (WGS84)

UTM: 18T E 616882 N 4596057

Bull Hill Junction New York: Putnam Cnty.

by eagleflyby [profile]

N 41° 26.598 W 073° 57.104 (WGS84)

UTM: 18T E 587568 N 4588500

Top Of Vermont Vermont: Bennington Cnty

by DX Hunter [profile]

N 43° 09.950 W 073° 06.964 (WGS84)

UTM: 18T E 653145 N 4780953

Mt Monadnock New Hampshire: Chesire Cnty.

by StripedMoose [profile]

N 42° 51.703 W 072° 06.552 (WGS84)

UTM: 18T E 736160 N 4749513

Dune Massachusetts: Barnstable Cnty Hard to find due to

being on the tip of Cape Cod

by hbruner [profile]

N 42° 04.564 W 070° 09.765 (WGS84)

UTM: 19T E 403818 N 4658876

Howard Creek Cache Montana: Missoula Cnty

by Gregg & Soren Schonbachler (Macduff) [profile]

N 46° 46.329 W 114° 26.550 (WGS84)

UTM: 11T E 695257 N 5183021

Virtual Asgaard New York: Essex Cnty

by Sirius Black of the Adirondacks [profile]

User's Web Page

N 44° 25.528 W 073° 40.109 (WGS84)

UTM: 18T E 605988 N 4919992

Mr. Whiteface New York: Essex Cnty

by Justin of Team Slacker and Trillian [profile]

N 44° 22.324 W 073° 53.463 (WGS84)

UTM: 18T E 588352 N 4913797

One for the Loafers Maine: Franklin Cnty

by geomaineiacs [profile]

N 45° 02.084 W 070° 19.126 (WGS84)

UTM: 19T E 396124 N 4987655

Monhegan Magic This is an island off the coast of Maine ? maybe un-mapable. Looks like fun, though.

by Anderson [profile]

N 43° 45.910 W 069° 18.977 (WGS84)

UTM: 19T E 474542 N 4845840

Look! Up in the Sky! It's a Bird! Rhode Island: Washington Cnty Near the coast ? maybe unmappable

by Planet [profile]

User's Web Page

N 41° 22.329 W 071° 35.214 (WGS84)

UTM: 19T E 283657 N 4583300

Secondary Importance

Fitchburg Furnace Virtual Cache

by KYtrex [profile]

User's Web Page

N 37° 43.987 W 083° 51.158 (WGS84)

UTM: 17S E 248615 N 4180036

Thanks again,

voltaire

--

Hi Folks

Just an update: I'm on the road now for six days, right now hanging out at Java Joe's in Santa Fe, just before heading into Texas for my first sublime site sighting.

I couldn't help stopping in at Zion Nt'l Park and Monument Valley on the way - hope you can check these places out if you haven't.

Mostly the weather has been good, ranging from hot to very hot, but I have run into some thunderstorms here in New Mexico - the accompanying wind is havoc for me on my motorcycle.

That's it for now - I can't wait to see the Texas sites.

voltaire

Hey Marc G.

Yeah, I could spent more time in Zion - I didn't make it up into the Temple, for instance. But the climb up to, and the view from, Angel's Landing will never be

forgotten. Unfortunately, I missed the coordinates you provided above - how did I overlook them??. One more reason to go back :-)

I've got a day here in Austin and then on to Houston.

Yeeehaww!

Jack

Hey Mark G.

Yep, I'm still here, in Maine, stuck cause I've been working on my bike. I've had to rebuild the top end(s) due to a bad part installation. I had intended to head out towards Michigan almost two weeks ago, but I ran into mechanical problems. Fortunately I was staying with my sister when the proverbial fan was splattered.

I'm hoping to get the bike running today, allowing me to leave tomorrow.

I've visited two sites up here in Maine. I highly recommend One For The

Loafers - strenuous summertime hike, but the view is a payoff.

I'm hoping the ride back to the west coast is a smooth, trouble-free one.

voltaire