Favorite Cache

I suppose enough is enough with the debate over crappy caches or crappy cachers or whatever.

What I would like to know is what everyone's favorite cache is? Preferably a name or a link. Granted this may be a difficult question to answer, as there are about 4 caches that really stand out in my mind.

Furthermore, I think it would be nice to have a system where when you log a cache, you can rate it (on the same 1-5 scale) on how *you* enjoyed the cache (whether it be finding the cache, the swag, or whatever tickles your fancy). And then have all the logs averaged out to give the cache a "score".

What do you all think?

Its hard to pick one. There ae a looot of very good ones. But if I had to pick one, it would have to be Airchrash 3 in NY's Catskill Mtns. It was a virtual, but involved a 7+ mile hike, some pretty stiff climbing and bushwacking, along with some incredible views.

Honorable mention would go to Melvin's Multiple Madness in central NJ, which was a slog through a tidal marsh. Each stage had multiple coordinates and only one set was correct. Guess wrong and you're on a wild goose chase. It also involved some pre planning, by checking topo maps, sat photos and tide charts (we didn't want to be stuck out there when the tide came in). It was fun, especially because we did it with a group.

Edited by briansnat

Wow, great question!

Can't narrow it down to one but here are three of our favorites:

The Slacker Movie Cache - a multi that takes you all over downtown Austin and has some ingenious hides. It was a lot of fun even though I personally, didn't care for the movie (and you really had to watch the movie to get some of the clues!).

The Rock that Rolls - A 'moving' cache that shows just how creative and fun our local cachers can be. Each hide is unique.

Cache on Prayer Mountain - This one just moved us. The view from the top was amazing and the butterflies were out dancing.

All great for different reasons. :lol:

What about yours??

At Last - A discussion worth contributing to! My favorite cache is/was... dang what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Edge II in California. It was my first cache under a different name and then it was transformed into a new cache. Showed me there were some thinkers out there & it got me hooked. i'm currently working on creating my second cache - a tribute to the Goonies movie - a puzzler - that I hope will become someone else's favorite.

Well rather than answer it with one single cache I'll give you the link to my web page that has the list of our favorit caches up to this point in time. Faile and I aren't putting a limit to our favorites at the moment (like a top 10), but instead we put some notes as to why each cache made the list.

Although these two would be right at the top at the moment:

Green Mountain Cache

Almost There! Falls Cache

Cement Hill Palm's stands out in my mind. I went to CA to visit and my hubby and I decided to find this one.

The cache is not difficult. It's not an incredible view. It's not filled with expensive items.

But it IS one of the best cache containers and hiding spots I have ever seen. I don't want to give too much away but read the logs and you will get the idea. The cache container sneaks up on you and since you aren't prepared for it, it can give you quite a start! When we found it, my hubby and I both jumped back about 5 feet and gasped. Then we starting laughing so hard at each other we got stomach cramps.

It was a fun cache and definately a GREAT use of hiding and a truly unique idea for a cache container!

I can't say enough about these three, but I have been to several others that were just as good:

GQ's Headcase I think Peeve's last entry says it all.

Sounds of the Bay Just a really cool spot.

Outdoor Nevada Geocache #3 - Creepy cache Because I had been driving past it for over 10 years and never noticed.

There are plenty more that I think are just as good, but those really stand out in my mind.

Sn :lol:B) gans

By far the greatest cache in our area has to be "Spinning Wheel" by Sandbassking! :lol: This cache has become very famous with local cachers...

Spinning Wheel

Wal-Mart Man Marc

Not just locals. I met Sandbassking this past weekend. I told him that I plan to make a special trip to Dallas just to get that one. (Oh and the Logan's Run virt and a bunch of 9Key's and Geovamp's caches.)

Sn B)B) gans

My true favorites have been events...

My traditional favorite has since been removed... A night (reflector trail) cache on an island in the CT river.

I haven't done much night time kayaking, saw plenty of wildlife and had a peaceful, beautiful time.

This was hard to answer, and was totally different than my best hunts/favorite trips (as listed in my profile).

Rating caches is pointless, and there already is a system available, the results are pointless as some love it (rating 5) and others don't (rating 1) and most are ambivalent (3). The average comes out to 3 regardless.

Also, this optional system only has a couple respond out of all the online loggers (presumably the more impassioned reactions).

Enjoy,

Randy

Stage Too in Florence SC.

This was my first find and I was totally suprised that I found it. Logged it wrong but later corrected it. Took my son out his first time a few days later and let him carry my GPSr and he found it. Its not a hard cache but the first has special meaning. If it had been a hard micro I might be back on the golf course now.

~Mark

My true favorites have been events...

Randy

Amen Brother!

I attended 14 events (including CITO) last year and hosted 3. I enjoy the company Geocachers wayyyy more than the activity itself.

I'm getting ready to post my first CITO event for 4/18.

We have a great geocaching family here in Texas! I'll drive 250 miles or more just to attend an event.

Sn <_<:D gans

Edited by Snoogans