Beginner Looking For Inexpensive Gps

MLaguna

:lol:

I am new to Geocaching and want very much to get active and start hunting. I do not own a GPS unit. I want to buy one soon and am on a budget. I do not want to spend over $200. Does anyone know the best unit I could buy for that price range that would be very user friendly?

I would go look at many models at a few good stores. Play with them read about their features. Find out which features you want. Narrow it down to one or two models.

Then keep an eye on Ebay. Make some trips to local Pawnshops. I bought my first two GPS units at pawnshops. I bought the first at two thirds off, and the second for a little over half off. Both looked new. Both Ebay and Pawnshops have new items every day. So you have to watch them.

:grammer :lol:

Edited by leatherman

I recently went through the process of finding the 'best bang for the buck'.

When it comes down to it, it is a matter of handling it and finding the best features and it is all very subjective.

However, as objectively as I can, I would suggest looking at the Magellan Meridian Gold. That is what I ended up with and am very happy with all the features. It can be had for $199 at http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?s...vw603apa&id=421.

On the other hand, in an attempt to be even more objective, I would also look at the Garmin Legend.

Those are the two that I was homing in on. The Legend can probably be had for less money than the Meridian Gold. The two main differences that I was looking at in those two were expandable memory and type of antenna.

Here's a step by step of what I suggest:

1 Figure out what features are available at your price point.

2 Figure out what features you really want/need.

3 from those choices pick the one that is most user friendly for you

Other factors: varying prices below your price point, asthetics, size...

And read a lot on this board.

Good luck.

I recently went through the process of finding the 'best bang for the buck'.

When it comes down to it, it is a matter of handling it and finding the best features and it is all very subjective.

However, as objectively as I can, I would suggest looking at the Magellan Meridian Gold.  That is what I ended up with and am very happy with all the features.  It can be had for $199 at http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?s...vw603apa&id=421.

On the other hand, in an attempt to be even more objective, I would also look at the Garmin Legend.

Those are the two that I was homing in on.  The Legend can probably be had for less money than the Meridian Gold.  The two main differences that I was looking at in those two were expandable memory and type of antenna.

Here's a step by step of what I suggest:

1 Figure out what features are available at your price point.

2 Figure out what features you really want/need.

3 from those choices pick the one that is most user friendly for you

Other factors:  varying prices below your price point, asthetics, size...

And read a lot on this board.

Good luck.

I have a Garmin Legend. To me, it's a great starter unit. It has plenty of memory for waypoints and its compact size is a plus (about the size of a standard cell phone). I have not tried adding maps yet so I can't comment on the expanded memory. The patch antenna is a little rough under tree cover or around a lot of buildings. Over all, I have been very happy with the Legend. It has performed all the tasks that I have asked it to do. As I progress into this hobby, I will probably upgrade (my wife hates that word) in the next couple of years.

Edit for spelling

Edited by DiverMan

The Legend's 8MB of map memory is ok if using Topo maps, but if you load MetroGuide or City Select, you'll probably wish you had more than 8MB. I ended up getting an eMap with 128MB of memory for using MetroGuide on long trips. Then the 60C came out and I simply just had to have one. I have since sold my Legend and I'm keeping my eMap for backup.

I have a Garmin Legend. To me, it's a great starter unit. It has plenty of memory for waypoints and its compact size is a plus (about the size of a standard cell phone). I have not tried adding maps yet so I can't comment on the expanded memory. The patch antenna is a little rough under tree cover or around a lot of buildings. Over all, I have been very happy with the Legend. It has performed all the tasks that I have asked it to do. As I progress into this hobby, I will probably upgrade (my wife hates that word) in the next couple of years.

I'm new to geocaching but have used a gps for about 8 months now at work. I've got the Legend and the maps from the Roads and Rec. disc. The stock maps kinda lack, but when I loaded up the Mapsource stuff it made all the difference in the world. The 8MB memory is plenty with the detail provided on this disc, not too much detail but plenty for my uses. For $175 shipped I think they're hard to beat.

Nick T

How about a used 76s (24Mb map memory) that many people are selling used for around $225 +/- $25? I already sold mine to my brother, but with all the 60C/CS and 76C/CS purchasers I would think 76s's and Vistas would be growing on trees just a thought, check ebay for used.... or hang out here enough or checkout the gps garage sale forum here.

A little over a year ago I bought a Meridian Green for $100 new on sale at Frys. I still believe this is the best deal in a starter unit. It is a full featured GPSr. You can add a SD card (seeing 128MB cards now for $30 after rebates locally.) The card is a great tool for managing waypoints and routes even without a mapping program.

When you add the mapping program you have it all for about $200 or so. You may have to check ebay for these GPSrs now.

If you are going to want to load waypoints from your computer you will want to buy a GPS that displays maps, These will include the data cable, and most of the year you can find that Magellan has a rebate on the Sport track map and Garmin has one most of the year on the Legand. This would bring both of these into the 150 - 175 price rang. If you buy an E-Treks (Yellow one) and then buy the cable your are looking at around $150.00, not such a good deal. For a starter model I like the Magellan sport track map, magellan has a better antenna and the Magellan Topo software includes street names, I find this very handy. The Magellan will also give you a terrain projection which is kind of nice also.