Picture Phones

My work just issued this really cool picture phone, but I have no clue how to do anything, but send the photos to other phones or e-mail addresses.

How do I make it so I can take cache pix and display them? Do I buy a place on the web that I can send them to and will store them for posting? Any suggestions?

I use them at work and just e-mail them to myself and print them, but how do I transfer the "personal" stuff to the web, without printing a hard copy?

(i.e. we found a cache that had a really cool tree by it -- and I took a cell phone picture. How do I post that to the log?)

Thanks

cy

I use them at work and just e-mail them to myself and print them, but how do I transfer the "personal" stuff to the web, without printing a hard copy?

(i.e. we found a cache that had a really cool tree by it -- and I took a cell phone picture. How do I post that to the log?)

After you post your log online, theres a link under the log that says "upload image for this log". Just click there and follow the instructions.

Edited by WH

What model phone do you have and who is your service provider?

Some providers such as Verizon provide online albums that you can very easily upload to. My LG VX6000 lets me send pictures and text up to 10 places with one send. (Billed as 1 send.) I usually upload to my online album and my email at the same time.

I can also use pictures I've taken with or sent to my phone as CID pictures for calls. eg When my kids call or I call them, their picture pops up.

My work just issued this really cool picture phone, but I have no clue how to do anything, but send the photos to other phones or e-mail addresses.

How do I make it so I can take cache pix and display them? Do I buy a place on the web that I can send them to and will store them for posting? Any suggestions?

Thanks

cy

Yeah, you can email them to yourself. That's what your phone company wants you to do, because it lines their pockets.

Be smart and get an interface cable. That'll let you download the pictures to your PC at no cost. You'll need software to do it. BitPim is great, and works with quite a few phones.

You'll have a lot more fun with your phone camera when you don't have to think about how much each shot is costing.

Another plus for having a cable is that it allows you backup all your phone numbers, and with the right software, import and export lists of contacts. I recently got a new LG VX6000 to replace my very old Qualcom unit. Because I had cables and software for both phones, I was able to download nearly 100 numbers from the old phone, and import them into the new phone. Saved me many hours of work.

Edited by Prime Suspect

A data cable is a great way to go.

Some of the newer phones can send the pictures via infared or bluetooh, great if your pc has that. The picture quality of most camera phones is not the greatest, I have a normal digital camera I use most of the time but I use the phone to log those random virtual or locationless caches. Many provides also have plans you can buy, $5 for unlimited picture messages. But keep in mind that a data cable will run you 20-40 bucks so it depends on how often you use the camera as to which way to go. If uou don't mind the extra bulk, digital cameras still provide the best quality picture for the size.Pictures this link has some pictures from a camera phone. I was using a sony ericsson t 610, and I uploaded them to my computer with the infared.

Picture from "normal" digital camera I took this pic with a 3.0 mp camera. A huge difference in quality, but it's a little more to carry around.

Joe Smith

Edited by Joe Smith

Thanks everyone.

My provider is Verizon and I'm using an Audiovox Model No. CDM-8900. I'm going to "fiddle" this weekend with posting pix. Giddy...although my buddies give me a hard time because their 12-year-old girls are into pix and messaging as much as I am the last week. :blink:

It is pretty cool. Tonight a truck lost a tire and clobbered my Ford Ranger. I had the damage e-mailed to my computer instantly -- and I explained to the nice sheriffs that I was doing it, and they thought that was pretty cool. They were darker than heck, with a flashlight, but the pix got the point. Tire+truck=damage.

cy

p.s. I was told that the five bucks a month for unlimited was going to end in April or May, when there was enough saturation, so you may want to look into this if you have Verizon. Our "orientation guy" at work said it was going to be 80 "sends" for five bucks. Yes, that could be a bunch of names per send, though. This just might be us, at work on a work account, but if you're on Verizon, you might look into it.

p.p.s. Anyone have a link to what the data cable is for this? Anyone have one? Great idea.

www.textamerica.com

They'll cover what you need :bad:

OK...I've been playing around with textamerica, figured out how to set my site up, but I'm not sure how to actually get the photos from my phone to that site. I have the "secret" e-mail programmed into the phone, but does it just update the "moblog" or does it store someplace?

I'm even having a hard time finding a help area on the site.

Argh. No wonder this is being monopolized by the young! ;)

cy

I use a Nokia 3200 which has a camera. I simply take pictures and then use the phone to email the photos to my home email address. Once, I get home and verify the pictures were sent ok, I delete them from my phone. I can then use the pics on my home pc to email to others, post on a web site, whatever.

Works like a charm with minimum frustrations.

p.p.s. Anyone have a link to what the data cable is for this? Anyone have one? Great idea.

I think this uses the same USB cable as the LG VX-6000. You'll also need drivers for it, so your PC can communicate with it. You can get a cable for about $20, and drivers for free. Try Googling for CDM-8900 cable and you'll find a wealth of information.