More Complicated Than It Looks

As a relative newby in GPS, I'm always seeking to learn more about this new toy and hobby. Today I googled onto a web page that has fascinating (to me) information about just how incredible this stuff really is. Quoting from the page:

RELATIVITY

The precision of GPS measurements is so great that it requires the application of Albert Einstein’s special and general theories of relativity for the reduction of its measurements. ... GPS satellites revolve around the earth with a velocity of 3.874 km/s at an altitude of 20,184 km. Thus on account of the its velocity, a satellite clock appears to run slow by 7 microseconds per day when compared to a clock on the earth’s surface. But on account of the difference in gravitational potential, the satellite clock appears to run fast by 45 microseconds per day. The net effect is that the clock appears to run fast by 38 microseconds per day.

There's lots more. Here's the link to the entire page. Just something from the "for what it's worth" department...

I saw a billboard for XM Radio on a rather empty stretch of I-75 one time that pops into mind many times when I'm out caching and I get to some amazing place with the help of this little handheld toy we're so fond of:

"How do we deliver 100 channels of crystal-clear digital radio way out here?

Satellites.... Big freakin' satellites..."

That's all I need to know. :)