brand new

Guest CarpeDiem

Guest CarpeDiem

I am a brand new cacher. I don't even have my own GPS unit yet. Which one should I buy in the three hundred to four hundred dollars Canadian range. Should I definitely have WAAS capability or does it matter.

Guest Elwood

if you are in canada, waas may not work yet until more satelites are deployed, so it may not be important, but its probably a capability you will want to have on the gps unit you buy,i have a garmin etrex vista, its a good unit, but i am also impressed by the magellon units i have seen, they have a larger screen than the garmin etrex series, but the garmins are smaller and lighter, so its a toss up in my book. also the magellons have an audible alarm which is a nice feature.

Guest Case_198

I'm new, too. This is actually my first post. You should check out the posts in the "GPS Units and Software" forum. I've learned a lot from there.

==Case

Guest c_oflynn

Hi,

I have a magellan 315, its great! However, since you have more $ to spend, I would go with the MAP 330. It has WAAS, but that dosn't really matter. The main thing is that it can hold street maps. Looks like an excellent unit, and I think in your price range.

Colin

Guest ClayJar

I think it probably comes down to user interface. I own and use a Magellan MAP 330 because I really like the 8-button plus joypad layout. It's really easy to enter text (naming a waypoint you place while on the trail, for example), and the joypad makes for easy scrolling in any of the eight directions (I heard something somewhere about some Garmins not scrolling diagonally, but I'm not a Garmin owner). The Garmins are certified more water-resistant than the Magellans, but there have been problems with the click-sticks (which basically play the part of the Magellan joypads). But basically, it mostly comes down to whether you like the more complex user interface of the Magellans (more buttons, somewhat deeper menus) or the less complex user interface of the Garmins; I am a staunch advocate of complexity where appropriate, so I own a Magellan (and run Linux on my servers... but that's a whole 'nother story icon_wink.gif).

Guest ClayJar

I think it probably comes down to user interface. I own and use a Magellan MAP 330 because I really like the 8-button plus joypad layout. It's really easy to enter text (naming a waypoint you place while on the trail, for example), and the joypad makes for easy scrolling in any of the eight directions (I heard something somewhere about some Garmins not scrolling diagonally, but I'm not a Garmin owner). The Garmins are certified more water-resistant than the Magellans, but there have been problems with the click-sticks (which basically play the part of the Magellan joypads). But basically, it mostly comes down to whether you like the more complex user interface of the Magellans (more buttons, somewhat deeper menus) or the less complex user interface of the Garmins; I am a staunch advocate of complexity where appropriate, so I own a Magellan (and run Linux on my servers... but that's a whole 'nother story icon_wink.gif).

Guest Iron Chef

I agree with ClayJar in that you should be looking at a Magellan Map 330 or perhaps a Garmin GPS-III Plus. Both are fantastic units. But, do make sure to check the GPS Units forum for more info.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest c_oflynn

quote:
I am a staunch advocate of complexity where appropriate
, heh, i agree with you there icon_smile.gif To watch cable on my TV, at minimum 2 buttons have to be hit (power, power), and a maximum of 6 (power, power, power, audio source, video source, monitor), don't even ask about recording a different program then you are watching! tongue.gif

Colin

Guest c_oflynn

quote:
I am a staunch advocate of complexity where appropriate
, heh, i agree with you there icon_smile.gif To watch cable on my TV, at minimum 2 buttons have to be hit (power, power), and a maximum of 6 (power, power, power, audio source, video source, monitor), don't even ask about recording a different program then you are watching! tongue.gif

Colin