How Many Gps's Are Too Many?????

Like many other addictions in this world, I have the GPS addiction.

When do you know that you have a problem? 1 GPS, 2 GPS's,3 or 4 GPS's.

I need help are there any support groups I can join? The next thing I know I will be sitting in a chair in a circle with all you guys saying," Hi, my names RockyRiver, I'm An addict". I guess admission is half the battle?

GPS%20Heaven.JPG

Edited by RockyRiver

There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness - and I for one am not going to attempt to draw that line! As long as you don't neglect important things in life like the rent money, I don't see a problem.

One sign of mental illness is a fixation on one thing. Given the back drop, I think we can conclude you don't have a single-minded fixation on GPS.

Like Alphawolf, I'm more interested in the car then what's on it. That's a gorgeous color.

I'm way more interested in the car they are all sitting on...Is it a Cobra? Please...Please...post a pic. of it! (Oh yeah...I like your avatar!)

I will have to dig out my good photos, here is one with a better view. I have a mess in my garage right now trying to do some projects around the house. I just got a beanbag mount for my 60CS today and Im proud of it. Thats not a bad avatar yourself there alphawolf. Alpha means "The Beginning" so I guess you were the first wolf here?

Cobra1.jpg

There's no such thing as to many.

00c9fcc2-24ba-40cf-957f-87fd18698ad0.jpg

I've heard that Magellan is coming out with new models. I'll be buying one of those for sure.

BTW: I need another Rino, 'cause you need two to take advantage of the main feature. Maybe the 130. I also want the Sport trak TOPO. I see eTrex's in the pawn shops all the time. I've been thinking about grabbing one of them. Especially since I already have Mapsource TOPO.

Edited by leatherman
Alpha means "The Beginning" so I guess you were the first wolf here?

Oh my gosh! A real live Cobra! I think I just lost it! I am the "Alphawolf" because I am an avid "wolf watcher" in Yellowstone National Park (several times a year) and my kids started calling me that nicjname because, I guess, I am the "alpha-male" here in my little "wolf pack" here. Edited by Alphawolf
Oh my gosh! A real live Cobra! I think I just lost it! I am the "Alphawolf" because I am an avid "wolf watcher" in Yellowstone National Park (several times a year) and my kids started calling me that nicjname because, I guess, I am the "alpha-male" here in my little "wolf pack" here.

When you see that Honda commercial where the guy was raised by wolves and his wife blow drys his hairy back and son throws a stick in the water and he runs off at night with the wolves in his underwear can you relate? :D

O.K...You obviously have a tste for high-tech devices and classy cars...Are you an ex-fighter jockey or something?

NO, I'm a Truck Driver. I own my own dump trucking company. I have back troubles so I could never be a fighter jock. I have a yellow streak running up my back. :D

As for Dr.Phil, I sure could use the Help. I can see him now telling me too, "Grow up pal, Get a life and buy something useful like a shovel or a broom for your wife".

:ph34r:

Edited by RockyRiver
I'm way more interested in the car they are all sitting on...Is it a Cobra? Please...Please...post a pic. of it!

Haha.. that was my first thought also!

So, if you only have 17 finds, (no offense) but why do you have all those GPS's? Did you have them before you started caching? (I hope so!)

I feel a little overboard with my 3 GPS's. I have a MeriGold, a SporTrak Map, and a Magellan 315. I just got the 315 from a trade, and the SporTrak Map just sits in the drawer.

RockyRiver, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. If I could afford a Benz and a Cobra, I'd have the most rediculous CRAPLOAD of toys I could buy! :D

Hey leatherman, is that a Magellan 3## in that green case? That case looks cool.

I was taking a picture in my truck for another reply to "Accessorizing your 60CS", when it really hit me how many GPS's I have. I got them out on the hood of my car behind my truck to take a picture, because they showed up good against the red color. I got a lot of them (GPS's) when I traded a boat to a guy that owned a local marina supply store. He got the boat and I got a store credit. The only trick to the trade was I had to spend it before the end of 2003, so he got to use it as a tax break I guess. I bought GPS after GPS and sold them to try others. I bought a few outside the marina supply store also. I also got the GPS's at the dealers price. I bought a fishing boat to go out to the inlet waterways to fish in and when I took it to the store for parts the owner had a fit and offered me almost 3 times what I had paid for it, How could I say NO? I use GPS's also as a truck driver to help me find my destinations, this is the reason I got into GPS's so heavily, then Geocaching came into the scence and its all history now.

The trouble is that they all exert such a grip on your emotions.

The GPS III - smashed in a bad fall on Ben A'An. My first GPSr, how could you throw it away?

The GPSV - replaced the GPS III, found 228 caches, navigated me on the roads to 180 of them before being usurped by the

IQue 3600 - now with its permanent place on my dashboard, but the GPSV is still king of the offroad especially under the trees.

Then the Forerunner 201 - a bit of a distress purchase, needed something after Christmas, but the Forerunner logbook gives you the best permanent record of your caching trips.

Finally the GPSMap 60cs - I'M IN LOVE AGAIN :lol:

I have one GPSr. I've found 130 caches with it in five months. I believe one is all I need.

Guess I just play differently.

Rosco, I would like to thank you. last night when I read what you said, it inspired me to sell my SporTrak Map. I put it up for sale in the Garage Sale forum, and I have a buyer. I could really use the cache, and at least I still have a GPS 315 for a backup.

Thanks!

EDIT: I did it again. I wrote "cache" instead of "cash"...

Edited by SBPhishy
I have one GPSr. I've found 130 caches with it in five months. I believe one is all I need.

Guess I just play differently.

Rosco, I would like to thank you. last night when I read what you said, it inspired me to sell my SporTrak Map. I put it up for sale in the Garage Sale forum, and I have a buyer. I could really use the cache, and at least I still have a GPS 315 for a backup.

Thanks!

EDIT: I did it again. I wrote "cache" instead of "cash"...

Hey!!! Where's my cut? :blink:

umm, i can help you unload some of those if you want. all i need is one.... trying to borrow one all the time is a hassle so i need to buy a gpsr soon... maybe i should get a job first. nah that would impinge on my caching time.

dougtape

*wipes the puddle of drool off the desk*

Yup, I'd say the cars are a much bigger problem than the GPS units: harder to replace if one falls off a bridge into a swamp; space consuming to store; small scratch is much more painful on a glossy paint job ... the risks are all too great. So, to help you out, I'll take any one of those classics off your hands (I only have three cars myself, well, three that run...)

VT ARL 784

(oh yea, that's the plate from the fourth rig, which I think I've finally sold)

Edited by VT ARL 784

Addiction identification...... yes I can relate. Here is a pic of the side of my G-III on final approach to KJYO a week ago :-)

The aircraft was a rental though so I am not in your league transport wise. However I have had more GPSs, but have sold most on ebay ;-) I am sooo enjoying my 60CS though!!

approach.jpg

Regards, Craig :blink:

Ok, we confess to:

Legend (MBC)

Venture (me)

Rino 120 (me)

Forerunner 201 (unlike CG, only 1 :blink: ) (me)

GPS 76 (MBC)

Magellan MeriPlat (MBC)

So, they're all evenly split, so MBC doesn't have to worry about getting me a broom or a shovel............just when I'm going to get back from caching! :D

Edited by Cacherunner

I too have sold most of my past GPSr's through EBAY, I have been waiting for a GPSr like the 60cs, and now that I finally have it, and my trusty Lowrance Ifinder, I should be set for years to come.

The Ifinder is great for backpacking, because you can save all of the 10,000 track points and follow the trail back, and its so cheap you arn't constantly man-handling it. Anyways, the 60cs solves all of my general GPS needs except for the inability to save 100% of the 10,000 track points.

If I had all the GPSr's some of you had, I would sell all of the outdated ones, so I suppose I am problem free? :D