3 Easy But Helpful Suggestions

Shandon

1) On every cache description page, there is a link entitled "Make this page print-friendly (no logs)". If this link is clicked, this same link is now "Make this page print-friendly (5 logs)". That's a nice feature, except I have to click twice to get it.

How about changing the link on the cache description page to this? "Make this page print-friendly (no logs or 5 logs)". And each is linked appropriately as is currently done.

2) On the cache description page is another link entitled "view map". This is really nice. If you click that link, a map is generated showing the nearby area and all the caches in it. If I select the "identify" radio button then click on the map, a list of caches represented on the map is printed. More importantly, two checkboxes are made available entitled "List Caches you found" and "List Archived/Disabled Caches". Could those checkboxes be made available sooner, so we can select or de-select them prior to Identifying the caches?

3) On the same screen as #2 above, when the nearby caches get listed, would it be possible to have waypoint checkboxes off to the right and be able to download the group of waypoints similar to a normal "Zip Code search" listing?

What do you think about these? Fairly easy to implement, I would think. (Well, the third may take a little time.)

Hey Shandon,

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd like to see those implemented. 1 and 2 would be really simple and would reduce server load by not needing to generate two pages. And I'd really like to see number 3 added; that would really save time!

-Don

Hey Shandon,

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd like to see those implemented. 1 and 2 would be really simple and would reduce server load by not needing to generate two pages. And I'd really like to see number 3 added; that would really save time!

-Don

Whoops! Why does my post say Ringbone?

Internet sockpuppet rule numero uno:

Always make sure you are actually logged into the right account when you post.

The forum server is different from the web server. You need to log out of the forums on your main account, then log back in thru the website next time. :lol:

I'd also like to see a option to show log pages with the hint decoded by default. Since I always print it out with the hint decoded, if I'm not using a program like GSAK that allows me to do it automatically when clicking a link in the program, I double the server load for the pages I view.

Obviously it should be an account option since I'm sure others would gasp at knowing the hints before they spent their day searching for a cache :lol:

Perhaps we could also make a check box on the "Discuss Geocaching" page that would let us decide which sock-puppet account we'd like to use.  Sure would make things less embarrassing. <_<

That's a great idea, Sparky....you're pretty smart! I wish other people in these forums were as smart and helpful as you are. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: See what I mean!!! D'oh!!!! :DB)B):DB)

Edited by Sparky-Watts

It seems that one thing that would reduce the number of hits on the site would be to change the caching settings coming from the webserver. It seems that they're all set to force not cache and when I hit back on any page, it requests the page all over again.

This is even more frustrating when my logs are eaten by the "Server Too Busy" monster and when I go back to rescue them the page reloads and they're gone. :-(

This is even more frustrating when my logs are eaten by the "Server Too Busy" monster and when I go back to rescue them the page reloads and they're gone. :-(

I had that happen to me a couple of times, so I have made it a habit to highlight the entire dissertation and "copy" before I hit the submit button. Otherwise, many a humorous but long story will be shortened the second time around, if you take my meaning.