Gps 60cs Antenna

thanks for all the replies...i too have a bean bag mount that i use on the dash, but wanted to use the suction cup antenna on the inside of the windshield, and be able to set up the cs on the console. this will get off the dash and closer to these old eyes...thanks.

thanks for all the replies...i too have a bean bag mount that i use on the dash, but wanted to use the suction cup antenna on the inside of the windshield, and be able to set up the cs on the console.  this will get off the dash and closer to these old eyes...thanks.

I have been using my Old Vista suction cup mount. Worked pretty good withe the CS. Today I got my suction mount for the CS. I have to tell eveyone don't waste your time or money on that one. It is nothing but a joke. It is limited in the way you can adjust it so therefore my passenger can see it better than I can. It rattles as you go down the road and the A/C adapter is a pain to hook up unless you hook it in after the GPS is in the cradle. Garmin uses the same cradle idea for the handle bar mount. It too looks like it will fall off on the first bump. I think I will just buy the antenna and and get my GPS on my console some place where it will be easier to use. Again complaining about the suction cup mount it puts the GPS right up close to the windshield making it a long reach for me to get to.

murph

Another post in regards to the mount by Garmin Suction Cup

Edited by thcri
thanks for all the replies...i too have a bean bag mount that i use on the dash, but wanted to use the suction cup antenna on the inside of the windshield, and be able to set up the cs on the console. this will get off the dash and closer to these old eyes...thanks.

Do you have to have the suction cup mount for the antenna or can you just lay the antenna on the dash?? I just ordered the antenna but if I need the mount also I should have ordered both at the same time.

I'm very happy with the Gilsson one from GPSGeek.com.  Be sure to get the $19.49 Amplified GPS MCX / OSX antenna!  I use it when traveling by train or plane.

I should mention that it is a tight fit the first few times you use it, and difficult to disconnect.  I used to use pliers to disconnect, but now I'm able to use my fingers.

I guess they made that way. The MCX's are suppose to snap in. I have two different elbows for the Titan III and one has a gold tip with a broader head area and it doesn't snap in and won't penetrate the 60cs good because of the broad head and recessed jack in the 60cs.

And I have another MCX I got that has just a plain chrome tip and smaller head,by which I mean the square body the chrome plug comes out of, anyway that snaps in and is hard to get out with out prying with a small tool.

I broke an MCX fitting in a 76S last year and Garmin fixed it. Lucky for me. The plug went in hard and I must of not lined up correctly while putting it in.

I'm going to be careful with this one. I use an external all the time.

Edited by capt caper

Your best bet would be to use your GPS without any external antenna for a few weeks, more than likely you will find that you do not need another antenna. I sold GPSr for over ten years, I always told my customers not to buy the ext. antenna until they used their GPS without it for a few weeks. The only customers that needed one were those that were driving Hummers dur to the hummers wind sheild design. I think in ten years we sold maybe 10 antenns. If the person who sold you the GPS is telling you that you have to have it, well maybe he is on commision.

I should mention that it is a tight fit the first few times you use it, and difficult to disconnect. I used to use pliers to disconnect, but now I'm able to use my fingers.

I had the same problem, but I realized if I rotated the "L" connector around towards the top of the unit, the sloped body would pull the connector out for me.

Your best bet would be to use your GPS without any external antenna for a few weeks, more than likely you will find that you do not need another antenna. I sold GPSr for over ten years, I always told my customers not to buy the ext. antenna until they used their GPS without it for a few weeks. The only customers that needed one were those that were driving Hummers dur to the hummers wind sheild design. I think in ten years we sold maybe 10 antenns. If the person who sold you the GPS is telling you that you have to have it, well maybe he is on commision.

I want the external antenna for two reasons. I want to put my GPS down by my side where I can see it. My new pickup has this huge dash and the windshield mount takes it so far away from me. Another reason in our area the cops like to ticket for having obstructions on your dash. This way I just have the antenna and my GPS in on the console on my right side. Also this way the sun doesn't effect the screen as much.

murph

I'm very happy with the Gilsson one from GPSGeek.com. Be sure to get the $19.49 Amplified GPS MCX / OSX antenna! I use it when traveling by train or plane.

I should mention that it is a tight fit the first few times you use it, and difficult to disconnect. I used to use pliers to disconnect, but now I'm able to use my fingers.

I'll second the GPS geek antenna, it's VERY GOOD and available in 3 different cable lengths....

Got my new external antenna today. I was on the impression that there would be a fitting that would screw in to hold in place on the GPS. Does it just slide in and how do you know your making a good connection? Mine just slides on but on my CS it does not allow it to slide all the way in. Yes it is tough to get back out but I can manage it.

Helpme and thanks in advance.

murph

Mine is really tough to get it in that tight. The cable itself prevents it from seating tight and if I push real tight I can it down tight but within a few minutes it will work itself out again. Is there a way in the GPS to tell if I am on the internal or external antenna? I would just feel more comfortable if the GPS told me what antenna it was using. Kind of like the external power, I can disconnect it and it will tell me it will shut down. I then just push the external cable back on and the warning goes away.

murph

Is there a way in the GPS to tell if I am on the internal or external antenna? I would just feel more comfortable if the GPS told me what antenna it was using.

Wrap your hand around one of the antennas and watch the satellite page. If the signals go away then it was using the one you have your hand around - otherwise it was using the other one.

Which model antenna are you using? I have the Gilsson for my eMap and it goes

on and off pretty easily. It gives a little snap when it's pushed on all the way.

Mine is really tough to get it in that tight. The cable itself prevents it from seating tight and if I push real tight I can it down tight but within a few minutes it will work itself out again. Is there a way in the GPS to tell if I am on the internal or external antenna? I would just feel more comfortable if the GPS told me what antenna it was using. Kind of like the external power, I can disconnect it and it will tell me it will shut down. I then just push the external cable back on and the warning goes away.

murph

Like I said some of these MCX fittings have different heads on them. I had one that had a larger head and it wouldn't allow it to go in all the way. I found another one that had a smaller head and went in firm and snapped into place. I use a small pry tool to get it off and like he said it will come off with just fingers eventualy. The one with the larger head would work with the 76S but I had to use an rubber band to hold it in.

I got both these fittings from GPSCity.

I got some more coming from them because I called asking about the one that doesn't snap in. I'll let you know what kind and how's the fit in my 60CS when I get them.

The one in the pic's above have a groove on the sides,I've never seen on of them except online. Mine don't have a groove.

I guess the moral is all MCX fittings are not the same.

Maybe someone can send us to one that is top quality.

Is there a way in the GPS to tell if I am on the internal or external antenna?  I would just feel more comfortable if the GPS told me what antenna it was using.

Wrap your hand around one of the antennas and watch the satellite page. If the signals go away then it was using the one you have your hand around - otherwise it was using the other one.

Which model antenna are you using? I have the Gilsson for my eMap and it goes

on and off pretty easily. It gives a little snap when it's pushed on all the way.

If I lay my GPS on the seat next to me with the external antenna attached I lose all of my Satellites. I get the lost reception error also. What it boils down to is the antenna is not working. I put a glove over the main antenna and I loose reception also. So I will have to call Gilsson I guess and have them send me out a new one or something. Do I have to tell my GPSmap60CS that I will be using an external antenna?

murph

The GPS switch's itself automaticaly. Instantly.

The reason your not getting a signal is because the fitting isn't fitting right. I just went though that with my 60CS.

You can get FME to right angle MCX fittings online.

I wonder if the componants of the TRI M ,makers of Mighty Mouse,use a better fitting. Gilsson seems low priced. Maybe you get what you pay for can be applied here.

Like I said I got two different fittings from GPSCity, the one I had trouble with was the one they sell seperately in the antenna section. It has both a gold plated contact and stem. They have the larger head to them and they won't snap either.

But the ones that work came with my TitanIII.