Combat Caching

Duc996

The ranks of those that are caching in a combat zone are growing. Even at war the hobby continues. Hats off to those that are keeping the sport alive in Iraq.... I'm off to get another first find....in Iraq!!!!

1SG JC Chartier

Deployed, Iraq

Kudos to you guys for all you are doing!!!

I'm curious if you ever get the chance to get any of the Iraqi locals (good guys) interested in geocaching?

Salvelinus

Could you post links to some active Caches in Iraq or tell me how to search for them? What kinds of things do soldiers hide in "combat caches?" Who gives permission to hide caches over there?

Baghdad is at : N33:22' E44:24'

Try searching around that center.

Could you post links to some active Caches in Iraq or tell me how to search for them? What kinds of things do soldiers hide in "combat caches?" Who gives permission to hide caches over there?

If you go to geocaching.com home page and click on the country drop down you'll find Iraq.

As for permissions............................ Well I guess we need to get permission for everything these days. Who do I ask for permission to breath?

I just got back from Baghdad. I didn't get to cache. Wanted to though. My thoughts on caching there, bad idea. Those people have access to computers as well as we do. They have GPS capabilities and rockets that use GPS coordinates. I don't see it as a good idea to put caches near camps. I read a SITREP and our guys confiscated such weapons with a laptop with GPS capabilities. I was going to place a cache and thought twice about it due to the risk to myself and my fellow service members. There are Arab cachers. I am not racial profiling, but these people look to take mass casualties. Be safe.