What Comes First The Chicken Or The Egg

hatchet hutch

OK! Ok! After getting my bu-- kicked over 8 virtual Denials, I'm ready to set my first cache. Yep, got the swag into the container. Even got a good idea where. Now do I submitt, and wait or set and wait? Or just forget it and discover?

The first thing to do is to read the guidelines. Load up any nearby caches into your GPS before you go out to place you cache. That way, you can make sure you're at least 1/10th mile from any existing caches. If it's a multi-cache, that goes for all stages. If it's anything other than a traditional cache, make sure you leave a reviewer note telling them all the locations. Don't put it near a dam, railroad tracks, power station, etc.

Do that, and it's unlikely you'll have any problems.

Most people set the cache, then create the cache page. If you think their might be an issue, email the approver for your area first, and ask about it.

On the cache submit form, there is a check-box with "Is this cache active?" next to it.

The biggest mistake this site makes (in my opinion) is to have that box checked by default.

Approvers will not see the cache until you check that box (so un-check the box if your cache is not in place). Now here is the important, but apparently not obvious, part:

If you have not placed the cache, it IS NOT ACTIVE. If it is not active, you should not check the "is this cache active?" box (you will need to un-check it). If the box is not checked, it can't be approved, because the approvers won't see it.

The whole idea is to NOT submit a cache for approval that is not there!

You have no idea when it will be approved or how many people will be out looking for a cache you haven't even placed yet (1 is too many).

So to answer the question, place the cache, then put it up for approval.

If you just want to get a waypoint #, and do some HTML on the page and see how it looks, fine, just make sure to un-check the "Is this cache active?" box before submitting.

I have a cache page I've been working on since December, I can do whatever I want with it, since it isn't active.

Another basic thing that many don't think of, is this:

Once you submit the cache page with the right coordinates (submit does not mean submit for approval, just submitting after editing), click on the map links on the cache page. Does that look like the area you hid it in? No? then something is wrong.

I have hunted 2 caches that had very wrong coordinates listed (the last one was 1.6 miles off), in both cases, if the hider had just taken the 30 seconds or so, to click the map link on his own cache page, it would have been very obvious something was wrong. It would have saved me a lot of time, and them some embarrassment.

Edited by martmann