"PMN Cacher" For Pocketmap Navigator Users

as77

Hi,

I use Pocketmap Navigator (PMN, a Pocket PC road navigation program) for in-car navigation and I rather like it but, being a geocacher, I have always been bothered by the fact that there is no easy way to import cache coordinates into the program. Although PMN can store "favorite points" and even latitudes and longitudes can be entered, it cannot import any of the known waypoint file formats, nor can any software I know of export to "PMN format". So I just sat down and wrote my own program to do that. What came out is a pretty nice Windows program that can import PMN's favorites file, plus GPX or LOC files containing cache locations and descriptions, combine the two into one list and and export it to PMN's native "favorite points" file format. Additionally, it can also manage the "favorite points" (edit, modify, delete points, add new point, etc.). Using the exported file with PMN, all cache locations appear on the map and PMN can navigate to them. I can also view the cache descriptions from within PMN.

I gave my program the name "PMN Cacher". Is anyone else interested in this utility? If yes, I could set up a web page with more info and the download.

Hi as77! I also use PMN on my PPC, and want to say 'thanks!' for your work in creating the application. I visited your website and downloaded PMN Cacher. Hope to find time to install and use it. I'll post here to let you know when I have questions/comments. Thanks again.

I just downloaded your pmn cacher, Thanks.

I have recently gotten rid of a Magellan Platinum going with Toshiba e755 PDA and Pockermap Navigator with CF GPS card. I also downloaded GPS Tuner. (can't be used at the same time)

My only complaint is with PMN is that it doesn't have a map on the desktop PC to plan your route. That is unless I'm missing something.

However does anyone know how using a PDA GPS combo vs a straight handheld GPS compares? I do like the larger color map and voice commands.

Just tried PMN Cacher and tried to import my favorites (pmn3_savedpoints.inx) file and got this error message.

An error happened during parsing the selected favorites file. The file may be the wrong format or it is corrupted. Please try another file.

Any suggestions?

Hmm... the fact of the matter is that I only have the 2003 version of PMN. The 2004 version might have a slightly different file format, although I was told that it was the same. I will look at the file and if the format is really different, I will adjust my program so that it recognizes the file format. Sorry for the problem.

Edited by as77

OK, you don't have to send me the file, I've got it figured out. PMN 2004 has a different file format than PMN 2003, I now have a sample. PMN Cacher only knows the PMN 2003 format because that's what I have. Sorry about that. Check back in a few days, I will try to add the capability of supporting PMN 2004 files, too. Unfortunately, it is not that easy because the 2004 files use a different coordinate system, but I think I can still handle them.

So far I've used PMN Cacher v1.1 for two days and I like it! Only came across one "snag" when trying to convert a *.GPX file that I created using Watcher. It said that the file was in the wrong format. Weird, because it only happened once. Using another Watcher-created GPX file (basically the same file with a few less waypoints) worked perfectly. :lol:

Haven't done too many caches during that time, found about half a dozen or so. Driving around Fremont (SF Bay Area, California) I can see that the entire area is just LITTERED with red hearts, practically every little city park there is! Thanks to PMN Cacher and PocketMap Navigator, I now have the ability to get to each park easily should I choose to do so. :lol:

Happy to hear you've had some success with the program. If you want, you can send me the gpx file that did not work, I can find out why.

Also, I found a bug in PMN (2003, but it could be present in PMN 2004, too): sometimes when you set an off-road location as destination and create a route to it, the route will end at a completely different place (it can be 20 miles away!). So, I would suggest that instead of setting the cache location directly as destination, just select a section on a nearby road and use that as destination. Also, make sure you check out the created route before you get on the road, to see if it really takes you where you want to go.

By the way, I'm planning a Pocket PC version. That's what I wanted to do originally but did not have the necessary tools at that time. Now I do, so maybe in a couple of weeks there will be a "Pocket PMN Cacher".

I'm told by Pocketmap support that the bug I just described is not present in PMN 2004. However, I don't think they did extensive testing about it (in PMN 2003, the bug occurs relatively rarely and randomly, and since PMN 2004 has new maps with new coordinates, the bug may come up in connection with different locations than in PMN 2003). So, just to be on the safe side, I suggest following my above advice: instead of the cache locations themselves, set nearby road sections as destinations and/or check your route before getting on the road (that's never a bad idea anyway).

Happy to hear you've had some success with the program. If you want, you can send me the gpx file that did not work, I can find out why.

Thanks as77 for your reply, but I ended up overwriting the gpx file when it didn't work with PMN Cacher. Therefore I have no gpx file to send to you, sorry! Since I often manipulate gpx files using Watcher and/or Spinner, It's likely that it was my "fault" and not your program's.

By the way, I'm planning a Pocket PC version. That's what I wanted to do originally but did not have the necessary tools at that time. Now I do, so maybe in a couple of weeks there will be a "Pocket PMN Cacher".

Looking forward to the PocketPC version! I use a very-outdated Toshiba e740 for paperless caching and driving navigation. Hopefully Pocket PMN Cacher will work for those of us still using PPC2003. :(

Edited by BpSnake

News!!!

there is now a new version of PMN Cacher, version 1.2. It fixes a bug in the previous version that prevented the program from importing certain GPX files (those ones that contain invalid HTML code in the cache descriptions). The new version imports those files without any problems. It can be downloaded from the usual website, i.e. from here.

PMN Cacher v1.3 has been released! New in this version:

An idiosyncrasy that prevented the previous version from running on Windows 95/98/Me has been removed. Version 1.3 should run on all Windows versions from Windows 95 upwards (i.e. 95, 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP or later). Users who have v1.2 and run it on Windows NT/2000/XP do not need to download and install v1.3.

Edited by as77