Tupperware Type Containers

rjo

Hey all,

I'm planning on placing two caches in the area soon and am going to be going with a tubberware container type for it (yes I know lock and lock) :P

Is there any way to help with hiding it (spray painting, etc, etc) any suggestions for using a tupperware container? how to make it low profile? or general tips for a first time cache placer ?

Thanks guys :D

depending on the environment, you may want to consider an ammo can. ammo cans are nearly indestructible (nearly) and last longer. you will have to replace the tuppermaid more often.

sometimes it is advisable to use a clear container, though. i am not impressed with the lock and lock line. i have seen the tabs break off and the containers shatter in cold weather. or course, if you're somewhere warm, that won't be an issue.

some tuppermaid takes glue and paint well, and some does not. it helps if you sand the outside a little before you apply anything. camo tape helps if your environment is right.

which brings me to the important point: environment is EVERYTHING. a camo job is only a camo job if it blends in. sometimes a good hide makes camo unnecessary.

good luck.

Well I am in Toronto, Ontario Canada so we do for sure have cold spells. The problem is I have N O idea where to get ammo boxes. If I had the slightest idea I would for sure go with them.

I've lookd around the net and I just can't find anywhere to get them in Toronto.

For what it's worth, I used one of the Rubbermaid clear container with the dark blue edge for the lid seal. It has made it through two winters, somtimes totally buried by snow, and has kept everything completely dry. There's a number of sizes and shapes available in this series. Nice option where clear containers are required.

Well I am in Toronto, Ontario Canada so we do for sure have cold spells.  The problem is I have N O idea where to get ammo boxes.  If I had the slightest idea I would for sure go with them.

I've lookd around the net and I just can't find anywhere to get them in Toronto.

Are there any military surplus stores in your area? That is where most people get them. If not you should be able to search the web for

military surplus store

The Rubbermaid Seal n Savers with the blue rim are OK, as are Lock n Lock and real Tupperware. The latter is a bit expensive for caches though. Stay away from dollar store plastic containers, Gladware and other cheap plastic containers.

If you'd like to add some camo, try camo tape. Its available at many places that sell hunting supplies.

Well I am in Toronto, Ontario Canada so we do for sure have cold spells. The problem is I have N O idea where to get ammo boxes. If I had the slightest idea I would for sure go with them.

Try here. They have Soviet Ammo boxes. Not cheap but it looks like it would last longer than tupperware:

http://www.marstar.ca/mis.htm (top of the page)

Or this place sells them for 6.95 canadian:

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/shopdispl...t=Military+Gear

Someone, I think Krylon, makes a plastic primer in an aerosol can. Spray it on then paint over it. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things.I don't know what color it is, but i'm assuming something dull and drab. It might make a good camo base by itself.

Edited by MonkeyToes108
For what it's worth, I used one of the Rubbermaid clear container with the dark blue edge for the lid seal. It has made it through two winters, somtimes totally buried by snow, and has kept everything completely dry. There's a number of sizes and shapes available in this series. Nice option where clear containers are required.

That's a good thing to know, since I have four of these out there. They have survived the winter well so far, but haven't been out there all that long. We just got 15 inches of heavy wet snow yesterday. I guess I'll have to go check them again soon.

I like the idea of using ammo cans, but I tend toward hiding smaller regular caches, my favorite size being a 1.7 qt rubbermaid. More places to fit them in!