4 Digit Cachers

Trogdor!

I believe the zinnware.com site is an opt-in kinda thing. A cacher only appears there if he/she (or someone familiar with their exploits) reports to the list keeper.

With that said, I think GeoSharks was only posting the site to give us a flavor of how many Kilo Clubbers there might be, not to give us an all-inclusive final count.

CCCooperAgency has 3733

I have 42 :D

CCCooperAgency has 4759 as of today. They are getting very, very close to 5K finds. Pretty amazing.

I heard a number mentioned at an event cache this weekend, that there were something like 82 people with 1K or more finds.

--Marky

Let's see. In the Chicago area there are a few...

Greenback

Spyderuser

Genuis Loci

Maleki has over 900 and will soon hit the 1000 mark I'm sure.

Greenback is creeping up on 2000 !

Unless he's slowed down a whole lot recently, I wouldn't call the rate at which Greenback logs finds creeping! :D

Unless he's slowed down a whole lot recently, I wouldn't call the rate at which Greenback logs finds creeping! :D

LOL...if you've ever geocached with Greenback, he creeps! :P

Just kidding... you are right, he logs at a quick rate. He has a little more than 1700 right now so for now it's a creep!

I would like to see him run once!

CCCooperAgency has 3733

I have 42 :lol:

CCCooperAgency has 4759 as of today. They are getting very, very close to 5K finds. Pretty amazing.

I heard a number mentioned at an event cache this weekend, that there were something like 82 people with 1K or more finds.

--Marky

I don't know about you all but when one of the "Caching Gods" such as CCCooperAgency find a cache that you own and complement you on it I consider it an honor.

How many senior citizens over a 1000?

I know Genius Loci falls into this category.! <_<

Hey, Geogeek65: the last time I looked, only the number of FINDS was listed on my online logs, not my AGE!

If Groundspeak ever starts listing THOSE sorts of stats, I really am gonna quit!!!

Genius Loci still has a few good years left in him. At least he doesn't act his age. :D

According to the stats, CCCooperAgency has logged an overage of almost 5 caches a day, EVERY SINGLE DAY, for the past 3 years.

<_<

Are they a group working together? Where are they located? And good God, what do they (not) do for a living?

Edited by Indiana Cojones
According to the stats, CCCooperAgency has logged an overage of almost 5 caches a day, EVERY SINGLE DAY, for the past 3 years.

<_<

Are they a group working together? Where are they located? And good God, what do they (not) do for a living?

Yes, they are a "group" in the same sense that anyone else who caches together as a family is a "group." I laugh every time I see forum posts that discount CCCooper's efforts by saying "yes, but they are a group." It is a mom (mostly), a dad, and three kids, the oldest of which has her own separate account. Not very different from many other geocaching families, except for the degree of dedication.

I've had the privilege of tagging along with the CCCooper family on several geocaching weekends in the Harrisburg PA area, where they live. They keep up their pace through good planning and through hiking really *fast*. If you walk at 5 mph, and drive along an optimized cache route without U-turns and mistakes, it's easy to rack up 25 caches in a day, while still enjoying the scenery. It also helps to be in extremely good physical condition. Most of the time when I'm caching with others, it is me who is always waiting for the rest of the group to catch up. But with CCCooper in the lead, it's all I can do to climb up the mountain as fast as my lungs and legs will allow, and keep them in sight up ahead on the trail.

I'm going to an event cache this weekend (Maryland Geocaching Society March '04 Meet & Greet) at which 3 four-digiters are scheduled to make an appearance: CCCooperAgency, SBUX and THE DAM TROLLS. I'm going to be so star-struck ...

I've had the privledge of caching with all 3.

I was there for the 1000th find by the Trolls, and that was also the day I broke 20 finds in one day using a CCCooper-plotted route. Not just all park and grabs, there were several multis, puzzle caches, and higher terrain finds mixed in there, along with 2 (I think) virtuals. A pretty well rounded day of caching. I got a late start too, I'm pretty sure diehards like the Trolls did 30-40 caches that day.

Yes, they are a "group" in the same sense that anyone else who caches together as a family is a "group."  I laugh every time I see forum posts that discount CCCooper's efforts by saying "yes, but they are a group."  It is a mom (mostly), a dad, and three kids, the oldest of which has her own separate account.  Not very different from many other geocaching families, except for the degree of dedication. 

Well, color me impressed. I thought maybe it was a "collective" of cachers working in different areas. I'd hate to know how much money they spend on gas going to all those caches. Although they may have more caches in their area than we have here.

Edited by Indiana Cojones
Well, color me impressed. I thought maybe it was a "collective" of cachers working in different areas. I'd hate to know how much money they spend on gas going to all those caches. Although they may have more caches in their area than we have here.

There are about 2,500 geocaches within 100 miles of CCCooper's home coordinates. More dense than some areas, less dense than others. The difference is, they've found nearly *all* of those 2,500! Getting another 2,000+ on top of that does require a bit of travel. Well-planned road trips may take them to Tennessee, Virginia or Ohio for a weekend of caching. Or, while the kids are in school, dash down to Maryland to pick up 4 new caches.

A marathon caching weekend for this family means getting up at 5 a.m. and returning home well after dark, then logging finds until 1 a.m. and planning the route for the next day. Funny, you always seem to get more cache finds when you hit the road at 6 a.m. as opposed to noon. I wonder why that is.

The midwest or extended Ohio River valley is home to many 1k+, a year or so ago 7 or 8 of the top 10 (at least) were between CCCooper, following the river downstream (DLiming, ShowMeTheCache, BruceS) and extending that by a couple miles there's JoGPS and Southpaw.

Since then there's been alot of others popping up over 1k: Ladybuggers!, kimbyj and myself from Cincinnati (Webling's at around 970 I think, he just celebrated his 200th Ohio cache), Deermark, Daggy, KEPNFIT, Kikster, JPlus14 from Southern Indiana.

So, to answer the original question:

Q: How many cachers have over 1k finds?

A: Bunches.

Cincinnati is a cache-dense hotbed of geocaching activity, totally disproportionate to its overall population. This is due to the efforts of people like Draegon and the other area cachers listed in his post. Thanks for filling us all in on the increasing number of millenium cachers in OKIC territory. One of these days, I'm gonna make one heck of a roadtrip to your neck of the woods.

Ever notice another common trait about high-number geocachers? Look at Draegon's post count. He's out caching while blowhards like me are posting in the forums. There are rare exceptions, like Marky. I welcome the insights from these experienced cachers, and wish that more of them could take a few minutes off from logging their finds in order to share their thoughts with the community.

There are two 1Kers here in UTAH--DHobby1 and myself--both of us crazy over-the-hillers. Occasionally we cache together, until we start driving each other too wacko :blink:. (He does have a reputation after all, as a mean old man! :bad:)

Joining us on the 1K list in the intermountain area are TH&G from Wyoming who really snarf up the caches via their Harley. Are there any 1000ers from Idaho, Nevada or Arizona?

I do wish the forums still listed where posters are from, so I could tell what part of the country they're talking about. Mention the state when you post, especially when you say such and such happened "here". I also miss the old statistics leaderboard that did such a wonderful job keeping us informed of all the cachin' doings everyday, who went where and who else was as nuts as I am. Caching's still fabulous, but it was a tinch more fun then.

UtahJean

I would guess at least a 1/2 dozen in the So Ca area that are not listed, that are over a 1000 :blink:

Among the 1000 finders in SoCal:

Cachefan

Ranboze

Team Dakiba

FishPOET

ventura kids

(not on the list) Gumby&Pokey

And, also a senior cacher: sr. hikers

I know Genius Loci falls into this category.! :blink:

Hey, Geogeek65: the last time I looked, only the number of FINDS was listed on my online logs, not my AGE!

If Groundspeak ever starts listing THOSE sorts of stats, I really am gonna quit!!!

OH...sorry Genius Loci. I thought the 1622 was your age? Stupid me!! Since you know so much about geology, I was figurin' that you witnessed it first hand!! LOL!!!

:lol::lol::bad::lol:

There will be others there in the 700, 800, and 900 range, too.  :blink:  It will be a great time!

No doubt. Of the 38 teams scheduled to attend, the average number of finds per team sits just above 400.

Granted, having heavy hitters like CCCooperAgency (4793) and SBUX (2113) will help pad the numbers of any event cache.

Still, guys like myself (20), CandaceM (16) and bach (12) are doing our part to act as yin to the super-cachers' yang.

I think I read a post somewhere saying that cachers with counts like mine are only barely better than your garden variety muggle! I gotta work on that ...

Looking forward to seeing you there, Mr. Vice President!

Edit: throwing bach's number on there for completeness sake

Edited by kevmikwa