Geocaching Acronyms

+dhdgps+

Hi!! I'm totally new to this cool pastime, and I am wondering what log entries, both at the FIRST cache that I found (woohoo!!), and on the web site. E.g., could someone please enlighten me as to the meaning of "TNLNSL", and any other similar abbreviations? is there a place to go to find the meaning of such pithy maxims? Thanks!! DHDGPS :rolleyes:

Edited by dhdgps
Hi there,

TNLNSL means "took nothing, left nothing, and signed log".

I also have one -- What is a "GPSr"?

GPSr = Global Positioning System Receiver (or some people say Global Positioning Satellite Receiver).

Welcome to you too! :rolleyes:

Edited by Imajika
Hi there,

TNLNSL means "took nothing, left nothing, and signed log".

I also have one -- What is a "GPSr"?

GPSr = Global Positioning System Receiver (or some people say Global Positioning Satellite Receiver).

Welcome to you too! :P

Thanks for the welcome. The 'r' seems very proper, so I will try to remember to tack it on. :D

This is only slightly off topic and I’m not picking on anyone, just looking for the right word.

I don’t think TNLN or GPS or TTFN are true acronyms, are they? I thought acronyms were words formed by the first letters of a group of words, such as RADAR, or SCUBA.

I know there has to be a name for that type of abbreviation but I can’t think of it, does anyone here know what it is??

This is only slightly off topic and I’m not picking on anyone, just looking for the right word.

I don’t think TNLN or GPS or TTFN are true acronyms, are they? I thought acronyms were words formed by the first letters of a group of words, such as RADAR, or SCUBA.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, its both:

A word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term; also : an abbreviation (as FBI) formed from initial letters

I know there has to be a name for that type of abbreviation but I can’t think of it, does anyone here know what it is??

I always thought these were called 'initialisms'. Acronyms spelled something, Initialisms were just the initial letters of each word.

+dhdgps+ = my initials (the dhd part :tired: ), and gps, well, is gps. :blink:

Okay, here's one i've seen recently (in CO). TFTH. I saw above that TFTC = Thanks For The Cache. Is this Thanks For The ???

TFTD Thanks For The Definition!! :o

Lots of snow in the Front Range area of CO today, believe it or not, so probably not much caching going on for my family and me.

Edited by +dhdgps+

LASBT = Lost A Shoe Back There

RTMC = Rangers Towed My Car

BTJTTB = Buried The Jeep To The Bumper

ITIHWNV = I Think I Have West Nile Virus

RDGG = Rabid Dog Guarding Gate

UKWY = Ugly Kids Watching You

PUMTTYESIYL = Picked Up More Ticks Than You Ever Saw In Your Life

FASGB =Found A Stinking GolfBall

TFTSMA = Thanks For The Stupid Micro, A***ole

LASBT = Lost A Shoe Back There

RTMC = Rangers Towed My Car

BTJTTB = Buried The Jeep To The Bumper

ITIHWNV = I Think I Have West Nile Virus

RDGG = Rabid Dog Guarding Gate

UKWY = Ugly Kids Watching You

PUMTTYESIYL = Picked Up More Ticks Than You Ever Saw In Your Life

FASGB =Found A Stinking GolfBall

TFTSMA = Thanks For The Stupid Micro, A***ole

best list I have seen in awhile! Especially the last one. I'll be sure to post that in my logs from now on.

Does anyone know why some people write numbers next to their log comments?

Example:

"1282. Thanks for the cache."

It's not the number of caches they found because I always check that.

Actually, it probably is, but at the time the log was posted. Their finds have probably increased by the time you check it. Or it may be the total number of caches they've attempted.

Does anyone know why some people write numbers next to their log comments?

Example:

"1282. Thanks for the cache."

It's not the number of caches they found because I always check that.

Actually, it probably is, but at the time the log was posted. Their finds have probably increased by the time you check it. Or it may be the total number of caches they've attempted.

I've seen the time noted like that, but of course 12:82 wouldn't be a time unless you were using a 100 minute clock.