OK0120'DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1934

OK0120'0.6 MI W FROM OVID.

OK0120'0.6 MILE WEST ALONG THE GRAND TRUNK WESTERN RAILWAY, FROM THE

OK0120'STATION AT OVID, CLINTON COUNTY, 13.7 FEET WEST OF MILEAGE SIGN

OK0120'89.38, AT A BRIDGE OVER A SMALL STREAM, ON THE TOP OF THE

OK0120'NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE CONCRETE ABUTMENT, 2.3 FEET EAST OF THE

OK0120'WEST EDGE, 1.3 FEET NORTH OF THE SOUTH EDGE, AND LEVEL WITH THE

OK0120'TOP OF THE RAIL. A KEEL CROSS.

OK0120_U.S. NATIONAL GRTGN131647(NAD 83)

OK0120_U.S. NATIONAL GRID SPATIAL ADDRESS: 16TGN131647(NAD 83)

Does the line with Stabiltiy have anything to do with this? Says it will hold position /elevation well.

OK0120_MARKER: Z = SEE DESCRIPTION

OK0120_SETTING: 36 = ABUTMENT

OK0120_STABILITY: B = PROBABLY HOLD POSITION/ELEVATION WELL

OK0120

OK0120 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

OK0120 HISTORY - UNK MONUMENTED GTWRR

OK0120 HISTORY - 1934 GOOD NGS

OK0120

OK0120 STATION DESCRIPTION

OK0120

OK0120'DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1934

OK0120'0.6 MI W FROM OVID.

OK0120'0.6 MILE WEST ALONG THE GRAND TRUNK WESTERN RAILWAY, FROM THE

OK0120'STATION AT OVID, CLINTON COUNTY, 13.7 FEET WEST OF MILEAGE SIGN

OK0120'89.38, AT A BRIDGE OVER A SMALL STREAM, ON THE TOP OF THE

OK0120'NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE CONCRETE ABUTMENT, 2.3 FEET EAST OF THE

OK0120'WEST EDGE, 1.3 FEET NORTH OF THE SOUTH EDGE, AND LEVEL WITH THE

OK0120'TOP OF THE RAIL. A KEEL CROSS.

Like CallawayMT stated, 'keel' is a temporary marker. The term is used generically to describe a lumber crayon, which are most commonly red or yellow.. It can be easily carried by any member of the field crew, marks on many surfaces, and vanishes within a few days to weeks. It is also more subtle (nearly invisible) when compared to paint, which can remain for years. Usually, keel is used to mark or identify a point temporarily until a more permanent method is used, like a chiseled cross. Often keel is used during a survey and then the crosses are chiseled at the end of the day.

This is the type that my office uses...

25945_2300.JPG

- Kewaneh

I do not think that would fit the criteria for entry as a NGS Benchmark.

I have done a little study on both aspects.

It could be a keel(ed) (curved) carved,or chisled cross,on or and the underside.

I am probably wrong but the marks had to be of a quality that would withstand.

What is a Z = mark(see discription)

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

This has been very informative for me. I can understand using the crayon and it being a temp mark, but in the description it states that it should holdup. Have to assume then that someone later chiseled a mark in the abutment. Hopefully this week, I should be able to get back out and see if I can locate it.

That was a mark of the GTWRR GRAND TRUNK WESTERN RAILROAD

C&GS did not set it, they hit it went they went by. I have seen similar marks here in Michigan that were copper nail in a tree root that was used by the construction staking crew for the highway dept.

I searched around this MARK and found more like this. They were obviously RR survey marks that were leveled across and recorded. Its not uncommon to find marks listed that are impossible to find today. Back in those days they never envisioned what it would be like today, it was a survey mark and it got recorded. The fact that we can't find it today, is our problem, not the survey crew from 1934 whom lived for the moment.

Also keep in mind that many marks in the DB were used for an intended purpose at the time. USGS marks come to mind, as they were used to control the maps they were located in with very little concern over other things that today would seem applicable. Some agencies never looked to the future and only cared if the survey mark lasted long enough for them to build the road, RR, dam or whatever.

Edited by elcamino

I have scouted out quite a number of RR benchmarks in my area (Lehigh Valley, PA) and found almost none of them. Most are described as monelmetal rivets, and most of the concrete footers that they were hammered into are now gone. I can feel your pain! The only ones that I did find were actual marker disks in an old railroad station that is now a restaurant.

I have a pic of what I think is the remaining portion of the cross.  Have to figure out how to get the pic on here.

When you log the benchmark on GC.com, just upload the image there. Then we can help you to link to the image here.

(In Edit) OOPS. Happy beat me to it.

Edited by TerraVador

I am taking the liberty of reposting Willy Magoo's photos from his log of OK0120 here :

a5b4c1e1-b75f-473e-9c2d-2b235dc6221d.jpg

547af479-616f-4c1d-b5fe-11720eff42f6.jpg

Willy, it looks like sky at the top of your second picture. Is this picture taken horizontally or vertically? From my reading of the description, the cross is on the top (horizontal) surface, and not the side (vertical) surface.

DESCRIBED BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 1934 0.6 MI W FROM OVID. 0.6 MILE WEST ALONG THE GRAND TRUNK WESTERN RAILWAY, FROM THE STATION AT OVID, CLINTON COUNTY, 13.7 FEET WEST OF MILEAGE SIGN 89.38, AT A BRIDGE OVER A SMALL STREAM, ON THE TOP OF THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE CONCRETE ABUTMENT, 2.3 FEET EAST OF THE WEST EDGE, 1.3 FEET NORTH OF THE SOUTH EDGE, AND LEVEL WITH THE TOP OF THE RAIL. A KEEL CROSS.