Meridian Backlight Problem

I have a Meridian Gold and have just started experiencing this problem. I've been using my old cigarette lighter adapter from my M 315 on my new Meridan Gold. This weekend I was using my Gold Unit in the car with the cigarette lighter adapter for power. Whenever I turned on the 2X backlight the whole unit would say "CRITICAL LOW POWER" and then just shut off. It happened every time I tried it. Doesn't it seem strange that that should happen? Has anyone else had this same issue?

Next time you think you're on cigarette power, go to the satellite screen to make sure you are. The battery meter should be replaced with "External Power". If you see the battery meter, then you are on battery power. I had this problem with my Meridian Marine. It turned out to be a bad soldered joint that prevented external power. Mine was covered under warranty.

JetSkier

It sounds like the power supply in the cig adapter made for the 315 is not able to supply enough current with the light on 2X on the Meridian. The voltage is probably dropping too low. Its able to supply enough current at 1X light, so the answer is to get an adapter made for the Meridian if you want to use it on 2X.

Yup, that's exactly the problem. When I bought my SporTrak Pro, I started using my 12vdc cord from my GPS 315 as well, and had the exact same problem. Would work fine with no light or 1X light, but with 2X light, it would slowly but surely drain the batteries. I have since purchased the SporTrak 12vdc cable, and the problem is gone. Seems the 315 cable doesn't provide quite enough current for the ST (or Meridian) if you are using the 2X light.

I had the same probelm when I used my power/data 315 cable for my meridian. It seems some of the older cables don't supply enough power, but it seems some of the newer 315 cables do (I think the newer ones have a gray box). I called magellan and told them what I was doing with the cable, and they sent me a new one free. I don't think I had any more probelms with it, but I eventually quit using it because I got just a plain cig cable for my meridian.

Wyatt W.