Indulge a complete novice

awang

If you decide to keep it and will take the time to read the manual to at least get some info on how this operates and a week or so down the road if you have a question about something not covered in the manual then come back and ask away.

I am sorry but I will not help someone who will not help themself first. But I will give the shirt off my back to someone in real need.

ouch... we've stomped another newbie!

I'll assume that the 315 was purchased used, and did not come with a manual. A quick search on Google for "Magellan 315 Manual" turned up this site, which you should download, read and refer to. Nothing beats just going outside and playing with your new GPS to get a feel for how it works.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Awang, my 1st GPSr was a Magellan 315, and although it is easy to use, I recall that the manual could have been a bit clearer, especially for a novice. So I purchased a short video for that GPSr through Cabela's (see cabelas.com). The video may also be available where you purchased your 315. I found it helpful. Good luck.

FISUR

Rhode Island Geocaching

We purchased a Magellan 320 this Christmas. I'm sure Awang is having the same problem we did. The manual sucked big time. It was poorly written. It was if the items were out of order. I finally figured it out by just going out and playing with it. I suspect that's what he should do too. icon_wink.gif

Live Long and Geocache!

quote:
Originally posted by BevCrusherMD:

We purchased a Magellan 320 this Christmas. I'm sure Awang is having the same problem we did. The manual sucked big time. It was poorly written. It was if the items were out of order. I finally figured it out by just going out and playing with it. I suspect that's what he should do too. icon_wink.gif

Live Long and Geocache!

Using the GPS is the best way. While at a cache I was 'suprized' by someone sitting on it while I was zeroing in. After I got over my shock we had a discussion and he admitted that he knew about geocaching and that he had just got a GPS but was having trouble figuring it out. Since I was with Night Stalker who uses a Magellan I could not resista and said "I'll bet you got a Magellan" he said "How did you know that?" Naturally I replied "because you are still trying to figure it out".

The Magellans do everything they need to do, but they don't seem to be as user friendly. Still Night Stalker figured it out by reading his manual and then mucking around with it. He's still learning new things after all this time.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by DeerChaser & Poni:

Rayt333, why so rude man? No need for crap like that.

http://www.whitetails.com/00hoofline.gif

Couldn't agree more. Nothing like making someone new feel welcome.

I suggest you stay out of the Getting Started Topics if you are going to act like that.

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

Thanks for making a newbie feel welcome.

I've read the manual, cover to cover, and found it OK as a reference, but lousy as a tutorial.

I guess I'm looking for some pointers on how to get started.

I want to find out how to use the GPS to find a nearby cache.

I am a newbie lurker... I have been lurking on this forum for about two months now... Trying to learn all I can about this great sport...

It is doods like charlesml and rayt333 that have made me very reluctant to post any questions here...

When I got my Meridian I didn't get a manual with it... That's one reason why I have been lurking here... Trying to learn...

I just need answers and information, not a stomping!!!

So, awang, just ignore posts that like to belittle us newbies... They are a minority here... There are a lot of great ppl that are willing to help rather than stomp... JMO.....

The main buttons are:

NAV - to scroll through the navigation screens

MARK - to set user waypoints (or point markers)

GOTO - to set the waypoint "goal"

Basically, you find out the cache location from geocaching, enter the point with the MARK function, select the point with the GOTO, then use the NAV screens to guide you there.

I love my magellan 315...ok that said...

To enter a waypoint or landmark...Press Mark, mark screen will come up...At the top you will see a default name LMK001...this ie were you enter the description...hit ENTER, first space will be blank...use the arrow pad to scroll up-down to enter letter...scroll right for next and so on so on so on...once you have a name...Hit ENTER...this is the cooridinates line...using arrow keys scroll right/up,down..entering coord's...for second line ENTER...and same thing...ENTER again... elevation, skip it by Yep, ENTER...If you want a message to remind you what the landmark is ( usally a good idea..) ENTER... scroll etc... ENTER.. you will see Save LMK..ENTER

You now have a landmark entered....Now hit GOTO...USER..ENTER..find your landmark 001..ENTER

GO find the cache.......I prefer the compass screen.....Found it...YE HA....Hit GOTO..MENU..you will see..CLEAR GOTO???..Yep HIT ENTER........hope this helps...basically each screen has it's own MENU options..ENTER for YES..QUIT for NO...NAV to go forward through screens...QUIT to go backwards....icon_smile.gif R

Without your brain, a map is a piece of coloured paper, a compass is a glorified magnet, and a GPS is a waterproof battery case." " FSAR "

sometimes even if the manual is good, the learner is confused or overwhelmed by it. in order to receive help, the petitioner might be more explicit, but i don't think we should require people to grovel for help.

maybe some kind soul who has one of them things and lives near you will take you outside and show you instead of handing you the book.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by Librac:

I am a newbie lurker... I have been lurking on this forum for about two months now... Trying to learn all I can about this great sport...

It is doods like charlesml and rayt333 that have made me very reluctant to post any questions here...

When I got my Meridian I didn't get a manual with it... That's one reason why I have been lurking here... Trying to learn...

I just need answers and information, not a stomping!!!

So, awang, just ignore posts that like to belittle us newbies... They are a minority here... There are a lot of great ppl that are willing to help rather than stomp... JMO.....

Welcome Librac! I'm guessing if there were more newbies like you, there would be alot less stomping! While in this particular thread I agree the original poster was treated way too harsh by the 1st couple of posters, many times a newbie is "stomped" because the very answer to his question is just a few threads down the list, if he had bothered to look. Still, this is the forum for newbies, and should be a a stomp free zone. Keep reading and learning, Librac, and don't be afraid to post. I'm sure after 2 months of reading the forums, you know how to find the answers to common questions yourself.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Having both a Maggie and a Garmin, I didn't find the Magellan interface very intuitive. Even coming from 5-6 years of using consumer GPSrs, I had problems figuring out the Maggie without refering to the manual. I didn't think the manual was that bad, but then I already knew what I was trying to do, I was just searching for the proper syntax. I can see how the manual could be very confusing if you have never used a GPS before. And for the record, I think Garmin manuals are even worse then Magellan.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

If you dont want to help, don't read the forum.

For Librac

quote:

The manuals on the CD in PDF format. If you didnt get it you can download it at magellengps. That was the only thing I didnt like about my merigreen. A device made to be used outside with a manual you can only read inside.....

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

MercRocks said

quote:
I love my magellan 315...ok that said...

To enter a waypoint or landmark...Press Mark, mark screen will come up...At the top you will see a default name LMK001...this ie were you enter the description...hit ENTER, first space will be blank...use the arrow pad to scroll up-down to enter letter...scroll right for next and so on so on so on...once you have a name...Hit ENTER...this is the cooridinates line...using arrow keys scroll right/up,down..entering coord's...for second line ENTER...and same thing...ENTER again... elevation, skip it by Yep, ENTER...If you want a message to remind you what the landmark is ( usally a good idea..) ENTER... scroll etc... ENTER.. you will see Save LMK..ENTER

You now have a landmark entered....Now hit GOTO...USER..ENTER..find your landmark 001..ENTER

GO find the cache.......I prefer the compass screen.....Found it...YE HA....Hit GOTO..MENU..you will see..CLEAR GOTO???..Yep HIT ENTER........hope this helps...basically each screen has it's own MENU options..ENTER for YES..QUIT for NO...NAV to go forward through screens...QUIT to go backwards.... R

This is a much better description than is provided in the manual. Its clear and consise. I wish the manual had been this easy. It would have made my life easier.

I'm a newbie too. I just got the GPS at Xmas and have been lurking on the boards. IMO, the people here, for the most part, are the best. They are great at answering questions and putting up with us newbies. Thanks guys and gals. icon_smile.gif

Live Long and Geocache!

Humm, very nice, some AH's seemed to think it was OK to post rude comments in return but at the same time offered no help.

If you don't like what I post then don't read it and please don't start a flame war at the same time by calling me names.

I looked at the posts above that took the time to call me names and yet at the same time didn't offer any help themselves. Does that make them any better then me?

No they are simply lurking here waiting to call others names.

Get a life, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[This message was edited by rayt333 on March 10, 2003 at 02:43 PM.]

Librac & Awang, if you still need help with your M315, email me (click on my name, above and to the right), and I'll talk you through anything.

I've had a 315 for 4 years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Once you get the hang of it, it's a great unit...

But yeah - the manual was written by Homer Simpson

Librac & Awang, if you still need help with your M315, email me (click on my name, above and to the right - THE LEFT (nuts... that inspires confidence, doesn't it?), and I'll talk you through anything.

I've had a 315 for 4 years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Once you get the hang of it, it's a great unit...

But yeah - the manual was written by Homer Simpson