A Way To Encourage New Caches

ghOzt

Its a good idea and better than the ammo box filled with ready to stash film canisters. The latter just encourages a lot of bad micros in the area. I guess the latter is OK to jumpstart geocaching in a cacheless region, but since new geocachers tend to emulate what they've previously found, you'll eventually wind up with most caches in your area being film canisters.

Edited by briansnat
Its a good idea and better than the ammo box filled with ready to stash film canisters.  The latter just encourages a lot of bad micros in the area.  I guess the latter is OK  to jumpstart geocaching in a cacheless region, but since new geocachers tend to emulate what they've previously found, you'll eventually wind up with most caches in your area being film canisters.

Couldn't agree more Brian!

I have a Spawner type cache that breeds other "new" caches with much more control than potentially flooding an area with inadaquate film container micros.

Considering new permitting requirements and private property issues, I found this type of cache to work really well in promoting new quality caches in an area. The three caches "spawned" from the original are all in great areas and have all been well received. That reminds me...its almost time for a new one!

Salvelinus

<edit> Took out "lame" micro. I found out that word offends some cachers.

Edited by Salvelinus

The capture the flag game might work in places where we don't really have rivalries, (like here). If you set up the capture the flag game so that each person who took it had to then set up a cache, you might get some additional caches. I worry that the flag would go the way of the travel bug.

When I put in the Capture the Flag cache, I was quite comfortable that there were a large number of active cachers that frequented both areas and the concept would work.

So far it appears there are quite a few teams and individuals that are willing to have some fun with this one.

I would encourage anyone who would like to use the idea to give it a try.

We don't usually trade but once in a while my younger son does see something that catches his eye. What about using a ready made cache as a signature/trade item? I recently got some bottle preforms and was thinking of putting a log and pencil along with a note from us in them and using them. The note would say something like 'This ready to go cache is courtesy of the Corp Of Discovery'. Sound good?

:rolleyes: Here is an idea we are going to try at an upcoming event. Please keep in mind that the area the event is being held in has a population of about 50,00 just guessing, with only one cacher in the town. So what we are doing is to hold an event and one of the contests will be for cachers to enter ready made caches for judging. We will judgie on originality, camoflauge, and content of the caches. We will have 4 categories of caches to enter. The second part of the contest will be to actually place the cache in the area. We are going to provide an aerial map of the town and surronding area and assign placemnet areas so cachers won't get into the 1/10 mile rule. We are hoping to seed enough caches in the area to grow the area and bring more attention to geocaching. Our motto is "Place it and They will come."
So wheres the flag now? Perhaps they should attach a travel bug to it so that you could see where the flag is and track it as a travel bug.

Well, the easiest way to track the flag now is to just keep an eye out for a new cache that has the title "Capture the Flag II." The instructions on the cache page state that the flag is not supposed to be placed in existing caches and the new cache that contains the flag is to be called "Capture the Flag II," then "III," etc." But you're right, if the flag were made into a travel bug, anyone who had it on their watch list would get an email letting them know when the next cache had been placed with the flag in it.

So what we are doing is to hold an event and one of the contests will be for cachers to enter ready made caches for judging. We will judgie on originality, camoflauge, and content of the caches. We will have 4 categories of caches to enter. The second part of the contest will be to actually place the cache in the area.

That's another great idea! I'm sure some people will get very creative. Are you only going to allow the judges to see the containers? If everyone were to see them, they'd all have a pretty good idea of what kind of container they might be looking for when they decide to hunt for them.