Nobody Want To?

Nurse Dave

I'm really new at this, and just found my first cache yesterday so please excuse me if this is old stuff.

Is it normal for people to abandon caches that they place? How would you take over one? Isn't it registered to one person?

I would consider adopting a cache in my area (however the one you posted about in oregon is too far) and am curious.

It is not normal for people to abandon their caches, but it does happen. Some times people stop playing the game and don't retrieve their hidden caches. I like to think that they never intended to abandon it. They simply forgot about it since they don't play the game any more.

Adopting a cache is not a hard thing. You would contact your Friendly Local Admins via email. Give them the GC# and/or the url of the cache you'd like to adopt. They will attempt to contact the registered owner to get their approval for an adoption. If, as in the case of the above cache, the owner isn't active and/or the emails are returned. Then they will go forward with out the original owners approval.

Normally this will take a few days to a week and after the cache is transfered to you, you'll be able to edit it as if it was always yours.

When I moved from Beaverton, Oregon to Sacramento, CA I could no longer realistically check on the cache sooo adoption was the way to go. Of the 4 I passed on, 3 are living strong... The process is as described and the new owner can change the "Created by" section although most say, "By Original Owner - adopted By New Owner" or maybe in the description mention it. Happy Trails.

Has been over a year since I have found this one. I remember it was a fine location. Think I will email my friendly local admins about it :D

Thanx for pointing out the need Dave...

***Update**

Email request for adoption sent...

Edited by bazzle