Looking to spend about 400 which unit ?

TeamArino

The Garmin GPS V DELUXE. It comes with the unloc codes for all the US and southern Canada.

I have a GPS V that I got when thay first came out Now with the new maps whitch have MUCH better rural rode cuverage it cane be iny thing but better. this is a link so you can see what the new cuverege is http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/mapgen.pl?p=1638401&z=1&w=350&h=350&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

Ebay hase them for $415 buy it now + $15 shiping at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1368407328

I just got another one last nite from there.

My Caches

Virgin Falls http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=10896

Right now, if you buy a basic GPSV (with only one region unlocked), once you receive the free upgraded maps they're offering to unlock ALL the regions for only $50. That means you can buy one for $399 (price at WalMart), and get ALL the maps unlocked on the website for an additional $50. That's a $65 savings over buying the deluxe.

I don't know how long this offer will stand, and apparently if you don't take advantage of it when it's offered, it's gone. lol. I haven't got my new maps in the mail yet, so I can't confirm this...

But the GPSV, I believe, is absolutely the BEST all-around GPS made right now (for both caching and driving).

Shell out 120 bucks for an etrex. Mail the remaining 280 to the Pater47 Foundation for the Preservation of Deep South Geocaching. Just kidding (unless you would actually consider this!) You're thinking right.

Mitsuko was nice clean-cut Joisy Girl. She's moved on now. We can let her go now.

I own a Magellan Sportrak Pro, but have used the Garmin GPS V. In my opinion they are both very good units, but the GPS V is better. It seems to get closer to the actual location when you are in heavily forested areas, and it lets you know when it is out of coverage. The sportrak does not let you know, it just starts giving invalid information. I like the rubber band screen a lot better than the Sportrak version also. It will give you a route to your destination which the Sportrak will not. If you have the money by all means look at the GPS V.

Advanced GPS has the GPS V for $375.

Like ZachNLiam said, get the basic, order the CD update, then spend the $50 to unlock 'all regions'.

I read somewhere (can't find it now) that Garmin will be discontinuing the Basic model soon and only selling the Deluxe. That would sure simplify things but I don't understand why the Deluxe is so much more $$$ when the only diff is the number of unlocked regions.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

Originally posted by Night Stalker:

I own a Magellan Sportrak Pro, but have used the Garmin GPS V. In my opinion they are both very good units, but the GPS V is better. It seems to get closer to the actual location when you are in heavily forested areas, and it lets you know when it is out of coverage. The sportrak does not let you know, it just starts giving invalid information. QUOTE]

Menu-alm/msg then turn on GPS fix. It will give you a visual warning and/or a alarm if you have the alarms turned on (menu-setup-beeper).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I own a Magellan Sportrak Pro, but I have also used the Garmin GPS V. If I had the money that you have to spend I would purchase the Garmin unit. I like some of the features better than my Sportrak including the audio notification when you lose communication with the satellites. With the Sportrak it doesn't actually tell you have poor communication it just gives you poor information.....

Lost keep going-Your making good time anyway!!!

I also have the GPSMap 76S. I use it for Geocaching, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting...The list goes on & on.

I find it to be very accurate in 99% of the situations.

Have yet to have it konk out on me on a mission. But I recommend buying a unit that is comfortable for you. Try and find a place that will let you demo one?

Wojo

quote:
Originally posted by Wojohowitz:

I also have the GPSMap 76S. I use it for Geocaching, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting...The list goes on & on.

Have yet to have it konk out on me on a mission. But I recommend buying a unit that is comfortable for you. Try and find a place that will let you demo one?

Wojo

The V would be my 2nd Choice (or maybe even my top choice) if I had to do it all over again. You really have to see the V side by side with a 76S or even a MAP76 to get the 'feel' for yourself.

My store had the V, MAP 76, Vista & Mag-Platinum for me to handle in the store. In the end, I ordered the 76S and do not regret it one bit.

I wish the 76S body and features also had the V autorouting and the Maggie SD cards, then you would have THE perfect unit. icon_biggrin.gif

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Wojohowitz:

Wojo

The V would be my 2nd Choice (or maybe even my top choice) if I had to do it all over again. You really have to see the V side by side with a 76S or even a MAP76 to get the 'feel' for yourself.

My store had the V, MAP 76, Vista & Mag-Platinum for me to handle in the store. In the end, I ordered the 76S and do not regret it one bit.

I wish the 76S body and features also had the V autorouting and the Maggie SD cards, then you would have THE perfect unit. icon_biggrin.gif

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif