Can I Remove My Bug From The Unknown

tlg

Hi all,

The TB FAQ states:

"As the Travel Bug owner, you have the ability to move your Travel Bug to an unknown location until it is found again"

Does anyone know for sure if I can retreive a bug from the unknown location if and when the cacher who has it decides he's done playing with it? Colour me cynical, but I don't want to be the first to test this feature. Thanks.

I think that means you can log it out of a cache page that shows your bug. Then the bug would show up as being in your hands instead of in the cache. I'm guessing this would be done in a case where some one says your bug isn't in a cache that it is logged into.

So as the owner you can log the bug out of that cache so it doesn't show up on the cache page anymore.

If you mark a TB as missing, it moves the "unknown location", not in someone's hands or in a cache.

Anyone with the tracking number can then grab the bug from that limbo non-place, and then place it in a cache.

Exactly.

If you were to use the serial number to log that you've 'found' the TB, it would then show up as in 'your hands'. This would get it off the cache page, but it would be stuck in your inventory until someone else shows and logs they have it (or you log the icon onto a different cache B) ).

You can always drop your bug in The Travel Bug Graveyard. That way its off the cache page and out of your inventory. If someone finds it and wants to "grab it", they can take it from there.

True, but by putting it in the graveyard, miles are added to the bug. If you mark it as missing which is one of the new features that were added when the T-Bug pages were updated, it just goes into limbo with no miles added. This is a better way to do it IMO. RM

Hi all,

The TB FAQ states:

"As the Travel Bug owner, you have the ability to move your Travel Bug to an unknown location until it is found again"

Does anyone know for sure if I can retreive a bug from the unknown location if and when the cacher who has it decides he's done playing with it? Colour me cynical, but I don't want to be the first to test this feature. Thanks.

Yes, I just grabbed my bug that I sent to an unknown location and had no problem doing so. I just sent it back to the unknown. Someone picked him up but never logged him B)

If the bug is in someones hands, I would leave it there and I keep emailing them every month or so. The bug that was picked up but left in the cache on the page, I waited for the first log stating the bug was not in the cache and then I set it to unknown. Why send a bug to the unknown when it is in someones hands? Might just confuse the situation.

If the bug is in someones hands, I would leave it there and I keep emailing them every month or so.  The bug that was picked up but left in the cache on the page, I waited for the first log stating the bug was not in the cache and then I set it to unknown.  Why send a bug to the unknown when it is in someones hands?  Might just confuse the situation.

I was thinking of moving my bug out of frustration with the cacher that grabbed it almost 2 months ago. You're probably right though, it might just confuse the situation. I think I'll wait another few weeks before deciding what to do.

I have emailed the cacher in question. No reply. He (she?) has been caching since they nabbed my bug.

Edited by tlg
If the bug is in someones hands, I would leave it there and I keep emailing them every month or so.  The bug that was picked up but left in the cache on the page, I waited for the first log stating the bug was not in the cache and then I set it to unknown.  Why send a bug to the unknown when it is in someones hands?  Might just confuse the situation.

I was thinking of moving my bug out of frustration with the cacher that grabbed it almost 2 months ago. You're probably right though, it might just confuse the situation. I think I'll wait another few weeks before deciding what to do.

I have emailed the cacher in question. No reply. He (she?) has been caching since they nabbed my bug.

I have a couple of bugs that have been in cachers hands for over 6 months B) and they don't respond to emails. It is easier to find their profile to send an email to ask if everything is ok. I hope to have my bug out and about again. 2 months is not to bad yet, especially during the winter, I've kept some bugs for about that. If I do not visit any caches that is suitable for the bug, I do not drop them no matter how long I have kept them. I do send an email when I have had them to long. Good luck, I hope your bugs get back out their soon.