Amsterdam Caching Advice

G Force

I am planning on spending the day in Amsterdam enoute to west Africa the end of April and would welcome any advice to my day's plan. I was planning on getting the train into Central Station and beginning my caching from there starting with Treasure Island, Finding Nemo then heading over to De Cock en de moord op een voestuk and Vereenigde Ooost-Indische Compagnie (if somebdy could provide me with a translation to English for both), Amsterdam geocaches - Bordeaux, Amsterdam Urban 2 - Under the bridge, kust in een boom in Amsterdam, Sk8rsaminamsterdam, Mergpijp a.k.a. Bonecollector II, and Saron 1. Depending on the time if I get any further out or not for some more but think that will pretty much fill in my day. I have avoided the web cam ones as I am not sure if I will be abe to connect to Mrs. G Force.

Any advice on getting around Amsterdam as I have not been to this fine city before or on the caches themselves would be most appreciated as well the translations if someone would do that. I would also welcome any comments on my proposed routing if there is an easier way or plan especially as I will be on foot except for the ones requiring a boat.

Thanks and looking forward to some Amsterdam geocaching.

I would advice the "Lang parkeren" cache also, it's a really kewl one!

Two other nice caches for a short visit to Amsterdam could be the "Bordeaux" (nice and short) and also the "under the bridge" cache because it shows a "different perspective" from the city :unsure:

Have fun when you get there!

I have completed my day out in Amsterdam which was very enjoyable. My thanks to Sim_This who offered to meet up but I had left it to late and the advice and translations from the others.

Going from the airport to the Central Station no problem 3.10 euros one way(if you have the coins you can use the ticket machine). It took about 30 minutes to get through the airport immigration and customs and another 30 minutes to get to Central Station. Once there set straight off for GCB49A "Bordeaux" which was found quickly (15 minutes after setting off) in a good hiding spot. Then walked to GC9591 Lang Parkren which is a definate must do cache as you'll probably never see another one like it. It took me awhile to work it out and find but it all came together when I found it. Then carried on walking to GC198 Amsterdam Urban 1 which was the first dutch cache and close by. I then walked over to GCHETK Bonecollector II which showed me some good sites as well as another part of the city and also did GCH1JW Saron I during the multi as it was in the area. Another one with a twist but found easily. I did not do any of the water ones GC921 Amsterdam Urban 2, GC2B16 Treasure Island, and GCHDZD Sk8rsaminamsterdam as I'll plan on that at a later date. I wasn't sure how long on the water it would take. I also didn't plan on the web cam caches as my wife was working at the time. Unfortunately GCHFW5 Finding Nemo and GCH2YDThe Bone collector were both archived before I arrived. I think I probably walked a good 8 miles in total finding the caches I did. I accidently reset my trip mileage twice during the course of the day but is a good estimate.

My advice to any one going to Amsterdam would be look at hiring a bike (which was suggested to me) which would saved a lot of time but there are plenty of them on the road so you can't watch your GPS all the time. Or get a good idea of the tram system which looked to be pretty well covered in the city. The other advice is to get a street map out and plan your caches as I just went from the nearest to where I was and on to the next nearest after finding the cache.

I probably could of done one or two more but did a little sighteseeing in the RLD and wanted to give myself plenty of time to get back to the airport which only took 20 minutes and pretty much straight through the airport and had 2 hours in the lounge before my flight.

I do plan on returning someday with my wife and then we'll do the tourist stops but for a day's geocaching it was a great day out especially as the weather perfect for it.

I have completed my day out in Amsterdam which was very enjoyable. My thanks to Sim_This who offered to meet up but I had left it to late and the advice and translations from the others.

Going from the airport to the Central Station no problem 3.10 euros one way(if you have the coins you can use the ticket machine). It took about 30 minutes to get through the airport immigration and customs and another 30 minutes to get to Central Station. Once there set straight off for GCB49A "Bordeaux" which was found quickly (15 minutes after setting off) in a good hiding spot. Then walked to GC9591 Lang Parkren which is a definate must do cache as you'll probably never see another one like it. It took me awhile to work it out and find but it all came together when I found it. Then carried on walking to GC198 Amsterdam Urban 1 which was the first dutch cache and close by. I then walked over to GCHETK Bonecollector II which showed me some good sites as well as another part of the city and also did GCH1JW Saron I during the multi as it was in the area. Another one with a twist but found easily. I did not do any of the water ones GC921 Amsterdam Urban 2, GC2B16 Treasure Island, and GCHDZD Sk8rsaminamsterdam as I'll plan on that at a later date. I wasn't sure how long on the water it would take. I also didn't plan on the web cam caches as my wife was working at the time. Unfortunately GCHFW5 Finding Nemo and GCH2YDThe Bone collector were both archived before I arrived. I think I probably walked a good 8 miles in total finding the caches I did. I accidently reset my trip mileage twice during the course of the day but is a good estimate.

My advice to any one going to Amsterdam would be look at hiring a bike (which was suggested to me) which would saved a lot of time but there are plenty of them on the road so you can't watch your GPS all the time. Or get a good idea of the tram system which looked to be pretty well covered in the city. The other advice is to get a street map out and plan your caches as I just went from the nearest to where I was and on to the next nearest after finding the cache.

I probably could of done one or two more but did a little sighteseeing in the RLD and wanted to give myself plenty of time to get back to the airport which only took 20 minutes and pretty much straight through the airport and had 2 hours in the lounge before my flight.

I do plan on returning someday with my wife and then we'll do the tourist stops but for a day's geocaching it was a great day out especially as the weather perfect for it.

So, from your arrival at the train station until your departure from there, how much time did you have for doing all that?

So, from your arrival at the train station until your departure from there, how much time did you have for doing all that?

My flight arrived a bit late it was supposed to be 0840 and I started off from Central Station at 1000. I went back to catch the train at 1530 although check in for my flight was 1800. I gave myself 2.5 hours to get the trian back, have some dinner and go through the check in process which was more than enough time.