Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Found it! :D

What a bad new, we rent a small boat to a old man (no engine) we explain him what we wanna do, and he say (you frenchy's are crazy) so, arrive there with the kid, and....Nothing, it seems everything were flooted. Special message to the owner: you have a nice idea, just need a maintenance. We flought home tomorrow so, we cant come back again. Thanks for the work on the cache

Premium Member 74195

Found it 06/30/2016

We signed this one as [Team Name] [listing who] was with us today.

Premium Member 530

Didn't find it 05/12/2016

Sorry, as was stated in prior logs...no tree, no cache.

Premium Member 6805

Write note 01/20/2016

I just did a drive by on this one and the tree is gone. Please replace it!

Premium Member 4846

Didn't find it 12/23/2015

Don't think it's there

This ones had more Fake Finds (Found It but Didn't really find it) thand DNFs. These are just a few of the many.

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 3744

Found it

22/03/2017

Today xxxxxx and me found and signed the spare log whilst on our daytrip to Cozumel.

TFTC

Caches Found] 63

Found it

18/03/2017

Poging 2... nu wel... je moet wat na het duiken... ook in Mexico :-)

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 5977

Found it

18/03/2017

Playa del Carmen was our last destination in Mexico after 3 weeks round trip. Five caches were near our hotel and during a first walk we could find four of these caches . Thanks to the owners

Here we could only find a magnet. We post a picture to prove attendance. Thanks to the owner allowing photo logs.

Photo The remaining magnet?

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 1382

Found it

18/03/2017

Tijdens de grotduikvakantie ook nog even gaan geocachen met xxxxxxx.

Deze cache in de buurt van het hotel vlot gevonden

Tftc

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 4463

Didn't find it

15/03/2017

D.N.F..

Back on the Riviera Maya for our winter vacation week (last visit was in 2012). I am pleased to see there is quite more caches in the aera .

I followed the hint but the cache has desapeared .

Thanks for placing and maintaining this cache.

[Caches Found] 201

Found it

14/03/2017

Avec xxxxxxx

[Caches Found] 208

Found it

14/03/2017

Pas trouvé la cache mais l endroit... Beaucoup de moldus....

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 4239

Found it

14/03/2017

Je n'ai pas trouvé la cache mais j'ai pris une photo comme le permettait la description. MPLC

Photo

Premium Member

Caches Found] 1850

Found it

13/03/2017

Visited today with xxxxxxxxxxx. Thanks!

Premium Member

Caches Found] 11001

Found it

13/03/2017

Visited today with RNVKM. Thanks!

Photo At the cache

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 3801

Found it

25/02/2017

I was on a family vacation and we came down to explore the area. I searched all over but could not find it anywhere. I took a picture to prove I was there. Tftc

Photo Sign of the times

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 7517

Didn't find it

19/02/2017

No luck for us today. Not many muggles around so we did a pretty good search, but all we found was what looks like the magnet and tape from one of the previous finders (see photo).

I just translated the previous cacher's note. It seems they found it on the ground, and hung it on the fence. I'm pretty sure we checked the fence and did not see it. But maybe we were just blinded by the obvious.

Photo cache-less magnet

"Found it today with help of xxx. Great day to be out searching for caches. Thanks! Added paper as the log was missing." - Gee, I wonder why the cache listing says, "It's almost a park & grab, IF you can find the log. This is a FIELD PUZZLE. If you think the log is missing, contact me. It's highly likely that you just haven't looked far enough."

With that log entry and very bland entry on another nearby field puzzle that runs over 50% favorite points with a similar statement in the listing, I headed out to check my caches that he logged yesterday. He actually DID log one out of three. :surprise:

Didn't take long to delete the FOUND logs!

Needs Maintenance 09/10/2016 By xxxx (Found=289)

Found what looks like a remnant of a cache. The area looks like it's been strimmed with a brush cutter recently.

Needs Maintenance 31/12/2016 By yyyy (Found=60)

Found what previous logger photographed. No container connected to it. Trees been pruned. X

Found it 12/02/2017 By zzzz (Found=634)

TFTC as previously mentioned needs attention

Found it 12/03/2017 By aaaa (Found=6280)

Like previously found just bit of the cache left. Needs a maintenance visit! TFTC

Found it 25/03/2017 By aaaa (Found=1134)

Found the same as previous cachers. Tftc

Found it! I believe that the original ammo can is gone. I spent a long time on the island and checked every possible hiding spot. I replaced the container with a 35 mm film canister. It's all I had with me today. Both my GPS and phone put me in the same location.

Among a string of DNFs, NM finally to Needs Archived. But this guy was able to find the film can in his pocket.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Among a string of DNFs, NM finally to Needs Archived. But this guy was able to find the film can in his pocket.

The other day, I went out caching with a jacket that I keep in the car. At one point I found park brochures from national parks I'd last visited a year ago and four years ago. Maybe I should log them as finds... :anibad:

This log is by the premium member cache owner with over 1000 finds and 10 hides in 6 years, you would think he'd know better. But maybe he's learned from his last 2 caches that went missing--if you disable your cache and then don't go fix it and post an OM, a reviewer will post a note 30 days later and archive it 60 days later. Better to post a 'found it'.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

found.png1243

2.png Found it

04/01/2017

This one seems to go missing frequently. I'll check in on it shortly.

This log is by the premium member cache owner with over 1000 finds and 10 hides in 6 years, you would think he'd know better. But maybe he's learned from his last 2 caches that went missing--if you disable your cache and then don't go fix it and post an OM, a reviewer will post a note 30 days later and archive it 60 days later. Better to post a 'found it'.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

found.png1243

2.png Found it

04/01/2017

This one seems to go missing frequently. I'll check in on it shortly.

Even experienced cachers click the wrong thing once in a while.

This must be the weirdest string of "attended" logs I've ever seen:

Archive 6/4/2017 By Owner

Sorry I didnt meet anyone. Strange that you didnt see me, I was there for over 1 hour. With my gps.. Well well Maybe next time.

Attended 5/4/2017 By bbb

In the *** searching for somone with a GPS... unfortunately we had to do a DNF on the owner's event... But we found there other geocachers! We stay there at 18:30 and with some post-event teamwork, a nice cache was also found . Since this was a Scandinavian event we continued to a Danish tavern for a beer.

TFTE/OPE

Attended 5/4/2017 By aaa

Unfortunately we DNF the organiser of the event while standing on the square from 1805 to 1830. But we did find some other geocachers from faraway and close by so in that sense it was a successful event. We also found one last missing piece for "****" and with some post-event teamwork that cache was also found. Since this was a Scandinavian event we continued to a Danish tavern for a beer.

TFTE

Write note 5/4/2017 By zzz

DNF

I was there at 6pm. First a bit difficult to spot because many people come to *** to meet somebody and look like searching. But after some time it was clear there was nobody.

6.10 aaa showed up. Great, good to meet you, we had great exchange of the latest news. A group of Austrian pupils showed up and asked if they could interview us about our eating habits. A bit surprising, but ok. It turned out to be an exercise for their French class, happy to have contributed.

6.25 A lady from Portugal whom I had seen before as she had a GC-ish symbol on the back of her vest joined us when she heard us discussing how to log this meeting. GC guidelines say a logbook is not needed for an event. But if the CO doesn't show up? Never had this case before...

6.32 We decided to go for the **** mystery. Nobody had logged it yet. aaa had done most of the work via streetview, but one photo/number was missing, so we went for it.

6.33 xxx joined us, a bit late, but ok. He helped us finding the photo, so he was excused.

6.36 I could identify -- to be the missing number for the mystery

6.37 We could go for the final which was tricky, but we could retrieve it (thanks xxx for the support)

6.55 We identified a place (Danish!?) to have a beer and installed at a nice table. CO of the meeting had posted in between he had arrived to ***. We wrote him a mail where we were sitting

7.45 We had finished our beer, very nice conversations, but the CO hadn't shown up.

Eventually, a DNF that turned out to be a nice evening, thanks everybody!

Attended 5/4/2017 By yyy

Have been too late for the meeting, sorry for that. With permission of the owner I log, hopefully we meet another time. Have fun in *****

Attended 5/4/2017 By Owner

Was there

Attended 5/4/2017 By Owner

I was there Didnt meet anyone but Maybe next time

Write note 5/4/2017 By Owner

Was there in 1 hour. Didnt see anyone but if you where there Just log attend. See you Maybe next time?

Write note 5/4/2017 By yyy

Sry, didn't make it in time.

Attended 5/4/2017 By xxx

I was there twice... do I get two points now?

Announcement 5/4/2017 By Owner

I am on the place wearing a black cap and gps

CO didn't see anyone, others didn't see CO but at least everyone attended ;)

CO didn't see anyone, others didn't see CO but at least everyone attended ;)

Just so long as the event didn't move anywhere, anything goes :rolleyes:

Given that you can't be required to sign a logbook or even interact with any other attendee at the event, virtual logging is a doddle (for those who choose it).

After 5 consecutive DNFs:

Premium Member

Caches Found 4910

Found it 04/07/2017

A trick I've learned over the years is to carry a few extra geo-containers...genius I know...and so simple! Cache is back in play. SL - thanks

Can't believe the low-down throw-downer is actually bragging about being a "genius."

Can I ask what the protocol is if someone logs a find but doesn't sign the log? Is it polite to ask them to remove it or does the CO just do it for them?

The Cache Owner may delete the log. As one of the finders, you might mention in the log that there are missing signatures (maybe not too specific :anicute:). This helps a CO decide if there's a problem, such as a throwdown. But remember that the one you signed in that case may be the throwdown. The actual container with all the signatures could still be in place.

Edited by kunarion

I think I saw this posting (or at least one very similar to it) and what I was most surprized by was who posted it. When someone already has a large number of cache finds, you'd think they wouldn't be worried about logging those that they didn't find, or in this case even get close to. But then maybe that's helps explain the large number of finds in the first place. Humm let see.... I was in the DC Mall on Tuesday evening so I guess I can log the other 25 or 30 caches there that I was generally in close proximity to.

You probably did see that one. Both of the ones I posted were from cachers with 4 figure "find" counts. 2 different cachers, and no, I won't name either, but they're obviously far from newbies, and should know better.

How do you think they got those 4 figure find counts?

Heck - if they actually had to sign the log I'll bet their count would be a bit lower.

I've seen those "I'm where it should be so I've got a find" logs and it cheapens it for those of us that play by the rules...

Tried to find a cache in Charleston, wv last month. Found GZ - saw where the cache has to have been (according to the clue and logs) but there was a bum sleeping next to it. Rather than risk an altercation, we logged a note that we stopped the search and the reason and thanked the CO for the didn't log a find.

I know it's just a game, but come on, sign the log or do not claim the find...

I have no shame in logging DNFs - that lets the cache owner see that someone has looked (so it's not abandoned) and gives him a hint that the cache may be gone.

I'm not saying that me not finding it means it's gone, but that it may be gone.

If an experienced cacher logs a dnf on a 1/1 GRC, there's a clue that CO should probably take a look.

If an experienced cacher logs a dnf on a 5/5, the CO gets to think "YES! It's hidden well!"

Let's go back to just post bogus logs not discussing them.

Archive 13/4/2017 By Owner

Destroyed

Didn't find it 24/3/2017 By GGG (Found=82)

Write note 24/3/2017 By FFF (Found=82)

No longer here

Didn't find it 16/3/2017 By EEE (Found=3809)

Didn't find anything.

Found it 6/3/2017 By DDD(Found=83)

Only found what we think are remnants of the cache. Took pictures

Didn't find it 27/2/2017 By CCC (Found=1425)

Searched for a long time, is it still here?

Didn't find it 21/1/2017 By BBB Found=1876)

DNF, is the container still here? I'm curious. Two others were seraching too. (No other DNF log on this date)

Didn't find it 3/1/2017 By AAA (Found=236)

Cache seems to be gone, we only found a hook (took picture)

Found this one but unable to log due to the cache container being missing along with the log book. As this one has been in need of maintenance for sometime is it time to archive it?

From a cacher with nearly 5,000 caches, who then proceeded to post an NA.

Gotta ask... no container and no log. What did they "find?" Swag all over the ground?

These type of found logs are the kind that really should be DNFs (if they really didn't find either) or a NA or NM (which is probably the main thrust of this topic)

When I lived in NOVA a while back, there was a cacher who had over 7000 "finds." I had the opportunity to follow her a few times, so I'd see her logs while I was logging mine. Way too many "found the spot where it's supposed to be, so I'm logging as found." Yes, it's a game... but cheating in any game is just wrong.

Found this one but unable to log due to the cache container being missing along with the log book. As this one has been in need of maintenance for sometime is it time to archive it?

From a cacher with nearly 5,000 caches, who then proceeded to post an NA.

Gotta ask... no container and no log. What did they "find?" Swag all over the ground?

These type of found logs are the kind that really should be DNFs (if they really didn't find either) or a NA or NM (which is probably the main thrust of this topic)

When I lived in NOVA a while back, there was a cacher who had over 7000 "finds." I had the opportunity to follow her a few times, so I'd see her logs while I was logging mine. Way too many "found the spot where it's supposed to be, so I'm logging as found." Yes, it's a game... but cheating in any game is just wrong.

And cheating in this game is absolutely pointless. It's not like there's prizes to be had :rolleyes:

Archive 23/4/2017 By OWNER (Found=1345)

This one had it's time

Thanks for coming here

Found it 5/3/2017 By DDDD (Found=2464)

After a few minutes of searching we looked at previous logs.

We post a picture proving we were here and log a found after asking the owner

Needs Maintenance 16/2/2017 By CCCC (Found=858)

Like others before us..

In need of maintenance or may archive

Didn't find it 15/10/2016 By BBBB (Found=26)

Not found

Didn't find it 27/9/2016 By BBBB (Found=26)

Didn't find, it's been gone a long time

Didn't find it 2/9/2016 By AAAA (Found=558)

What a very dirty place to search!!!! And is was a controled place?

I think it's better to archive this cache before someone get wounded.

Stop this place!

Here is the exact text of a recent log from a very challenging Earthcache I did on my trip:

Found it

04/05/2017

Nice one! Thanks for the fun AWEMM! Found in good condition. TFTC SL

Note: this was an Earthcache in which you had to climb down into a lava tube. No log to sign. No container. No way on Earth this guy actually did the cache. Yet he still felt entitled to the find.

Edited by fizzymagic

We had our first hide published today. I hope we don't get this nonsense. I'll be right onto if we do. Here is the log of one we logged a DNF for recently. We seem to be the only ones who didn't, despite spending quite some time avoiding the broken glass and rusty cans there. The location where it should have been was pretty obvious.

Funny, it seems to have had a lot of new logs and new containers.

The most hilarious thing about this one is that the photo posted in the last log on my list (they go on and on after that) is a mint container but the cache description specifically says it's a Systema (clip lock) plastic container.

I don't think the CO is an active member so there's little or no chance of it being remedied.

I've encouraged our local Council to formulate a policy for caches. They're very open and proactive so maybe we can get ones like this removed.

[Caches Found] 9

Found it

04/29/17

Found! Good hiding spot! Needs new container

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 6355

Found it

04/29/17

6333 Found by baby&Mrs xxxx at 1335. When you don't give up looking most times the cache is there. Replaced back in the boot. Tnx xxxxxx

Our DNF 03/18/17 appeared here.

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 131

Found it

03/04/17

Tftc

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 331

Found it

02/26/17

Found it easily,tho it's no longer a plastic container. Added a new log and plastic baggie. Wonder why they started doing this here?? Tftc

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 195

Found it

02/26/17

Good spot we added a new log thanks for the cache

[Caches Found] 5

Found it

11/30/16

Very uneven surface to the cache, so wear non-slip shoes. Agree with others here about log book needing maintenance, as it was falling apart and I couldn't sign my name. TFTC.

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 69

Needs Maintenance

11/13/16

New logbook required as sadly there is no room left in the current book.

Same cacher as above

Interesting part of xxxxx that I didn't know existed. Agree with the last finder. Cache needs a new logbook. I wasn't able to sign my name but have posted a photo of find on this log. TFTC.

2.png Found it! - Wow, what a tree! ...What a great way to take a break and stretch the legs. Sights such as this are why I geocache. I did not locate the actual cache container. It may be missing. However, I can tell the CO the tree it was supposed to be near. Thanks for bringing me here!

An ammo can cache, that any person who read the cache description could, "tell the CO the tree it was supposed to be near".

Geocaching.com just reinstated the found logs of 21 cachers that didn't find the cache or sign the cache log. So if you can't find a 4.5/4.5. Throw down a log and complain to the community manager when your log gets deleted. GC29Z6D

Edited by Langly
Throw down a log and complain to the community manager when your log gets deleted. GC29Z6D

I'd let stand the logs of any finders after the initial person(s) who put out the throwdown. They hunted a cache, they found it. I assume this is why their logs were reinstated.

If it's possible to determine who placed the throwdown originally (sometimes yes, sometimes no) - that's different.

Me, I'd rather let logs stand then run the risk of deleting some that might be legit.

Sadly, throwdowns pack a double whammy: they're the vehicle for the fake finder to rationalize their fake find, and they penalize the cache owner, by creating the necessity to disable, visit and remove promptly.

AND it can be tough to even know that a throwdown has been placed, is being found.

(one of the reasons I own so many ammo can caches - few will throwdown on them, it's never happened to me, though I have seen it, and only once has someone logged a DNF as a Find, on the "place it used to be" - which was actually present)

That's the problem with throwdowns... whether they're on a PT or a "one cache per day" cache.

The owner gets screwed as do subsequent "finders."

Perhaps if the cache page states "it's an ammo can - so if you find a pill bottle, you didn't find the cache" or some such...

I try to read the description thouroughly before setting out. If I'm on a cache "run" I'll read them all a couple of times and take the listing with me on my iPhone. Most times I'll know if I found the cache or not...

Let's all stop throwing down throwdowns and log DNFs so the CO will have a clue about the cache condition...

Found it

04/01/2016

My daughter got a new car today, a Mazda Miata, and so we were taking it for a spin up north. I saw this on my phone app and decided to try for it.

We crossed the berm on to the dirt road well enough, but it got pretty rough after that.

We tried very hard to get here but after a short distance the Miata was bottoming out on every bump. We didn't want to tear up the car so we had to stop.

Logging this anyway because I can see the hill where it's at and it's not my fault I had to turn back.

Thanks for the smilie!

:o

To be fair, it turned out to be an april fools prank and the next day the finder posted a new (and more valid) log.

A log yesterday on a cache that I and another person (not together) DNF'd last weekend:

Premium Member

Caches Found 5106

Found it 05/26/2017

Replaced. SL

Just amazing...

I would have a much higher find count if I carried a backpack full of pill bottles. Maybe I shall?

Edited by WearyTraveler

Well I'm glad I FOUND this thread :P I've been a member since 2010 but did not actively participate until I retired in January so take this as coming from a newbie...edited to avoid pot stirring.

Edited by 31BMSG

Hmm. Somewhere there's a discussion thread, but this one is supposed to be:

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

I'm not sure you'd want to start a debate about your specific situation in this specific thread. :)

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

I'm not sure you'd want to start a debate about your specific situation in this specific thread. :)

Thanks for the hint, any suggestions on where to ask this question?

Nothing wrong with starting a new thread for a new question.

No harm in starting your own, or the FI/DFI "Discussion Thread" is here.

- It's been a while. :)

Spotted when I was researching what happened to a cache that was relocated after we found it.

Premium Member

3660 Finds

11/16/2016 Found it

changing this to a "Found it" after confirmation that it's gone & has been archived as I, indeed, found GZ

I didn't know this was how it worked. All I need to do is walk to a location to log a find? I don't even have to find a cache or sign a log? Man, this game just got a LOT easier.

:rolleyes:

Spotted when I was researching what happened to a cache that was relocated after we found it.

Premium Member

3660 Finds

11/16/2016 Found it

changing this to a "Found it" after confirmation that it's gone & has been archived as I, indeed, found GZ

I didn't know this was how it worked. All I need to do is walk to a location to log a find? I don't even have to find a cache or sign a log? Man, this game just got a LOT easier.

Trust me - if you're not using astral projection to visit that location you're investing w-a-a-a-a-y-y more energy than you need to :anibad:

Premium Member

3660 Finds

11/16/2016 Found it

Trust me - if you're not using astral projection to visit that location you're investing w-a-a-a-a-y-y more energy than you need to :anibad:

I was going to ask,, Where have you been hzoi? There are some out there that have been using this lame, oooops, i mean clever, technique for years. :rolleyes:

Premium Member

3660 Finds

11/16/2016 Found it

I was going to ask,, Where have you been hzoi? There are some out there that have been using this lame, oooops, i mean clever, technique for years. :rolleyes:

I've been looking for caches with logs to sign. I am but a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer. Your concepts of astral projection, throwdown caches, and armchair finds confuse and alarm me.

Edited by hzoi

Premium Member

3660 Finds

11/16/2016 Found it

I've been looking for caches with logs to sign. I am but a simple unfrozen caveman lawyer. Your concepts of astral projection, throwdown caches, and armchair finds confuse and alarm me.

[sarcasm] hey - don't be a hater! Anyone can log "finds" as long as _that's_ the way _they_ play the game! Stop wishing that people will follow the rules![\sarcasm]

I'm planning to log a few PTs out west to bump my numbers and done want to pay the airfare... :blink:

One of our finds today required a scramble down some rocks. Not hard to locate the cache once you got there but you had to get there with caution.

2 recent cachers logged "finds" but both had conveniently lost their pens so couldn't sign the log.

Sigh.

Didn't find it 04/19/2017

didnt find it

Found it 04/08/2017

Tftc

Didn't find it 04/02/2017

Not today.

Didn't find it 04/02/2017

Could not find it.

Didn't find it 02/27/2017

Looked for quite awhile before reading activity. I am guessing it has not been put back into place. Took a photo as evidence for the XXXX.

Didn't find it 11/25/2016

Another DNF. Third in a row. Are there any caches left in this town?!

Didn't find it 10/27/2016

It's not there.

Didn't find it 10/09/2016

looked for this one couldnt find it anywhere and a passing home owner said it was stolen and was hanging in the pine tree but no longer there

Didn't find it 10/09/2016

Dnf not sure if it's there a lot of XXX caches are wet and need attention punches missing ect

Found it 08/26/2016

After seven DNFs on a stolen cache, that had been hanging in a tree, someone actually found it! Yeah. Right.