Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

:) My son and I spent an hour where the description said it should be.... Not there or just well hidden. We did see evidence that it could have been there at one time. Wanted it badly to be there. What s gorgeous area. Pretty rugged terrain so dress appropriately. We saw Petroglyphs and Beavers.....

Cache was placed in 2007 with no other real finds.

XXXXXXXX Caches Found5609

:) Found it 23 May 15

We planned the trip to XXXXXXXXXXXXX Falls for quite some time. But only yesterday did I look on the GC map and was positively surprised: There is a cache to be found.

On our way back from the falls, I was able to convice my party to make a little stop. We searched the area but did not find the container. However, I dare to log as find as I have been "here".

Edited by FunnyNose

Nice try this one..... an Attended = Didn't Attend??

Attended 29 Feb 16

Sort of attended. Walked past to find the garden cache and didnt know anybody so didn't stop to chat. Maybe next time

Happy to see the log deleted this morning though.....

Ha! Isn't that kind of maybe HALF the point of the events...meeting new folks? It's tough for me...maybe moreso than for most others...but I eventually dove right in and have had some enjoyable meet-and-greets over the last couple of years.

Attended 29 Feb 16

Sort of attended. Walked past to find the garden cache and didnt know anybody so didn't stop to chat. Maybe next time[/size][/font]

But the souvenir will still stand :blink:

Attended 29 Feb 16

Sort of attended. Walked past to find the garden cache and didnt know anybody so didn't stop to chat. Maybe next time[/size][/font]

But the souvenir will still stand :blink:

There is no requirement that you need to talk to anyone but it would have been polite to make your presence known. A little surprised to see it, attended log, deleted though.

There is no requirement that you need to talk to anyone but it would have been polite to make your presence known. A little surprised to see it, attended log, deleted though.

The few events we've been to had logbooks to sign except the one I hosted while on holiday in Greenland where, due to the remoteness only a handful of people were present. (I have pictures of all attendees B) )

The few events we've been to had logbooks to sign except the one I hosted while on holiday in Greenland where, due to the remoteness only a handful of people were present. (I have pictures of all attendees B) )

I think I read somewhere there is no requirement that a log book be signed at events.

The term 'event' in this context implies you'll have some sort of interaction with others there I guess? Are logging requirements up to the CO/EO?

If this chap had just written 'nice to drop by and say hello' his log probably would have stood, as nobody would have been 100% sure whether he was there or not.... Did we look that uninviting??

A local cacher just posted 'Found it' logs for three archived caches, stating:

Claiming credit for this one based on the fact that I was there and it wasn't as evidenced by it being archived by the CO. If the CO wishes to they can delete this log.

<_<

Was here a few days ago and DNF'd but CO informed is that the cache had been muggled and we had been looking in the correct spot, so turning this frown upside down. icon_smile.gif thanks!

So sorry to have almost found this one. CO gave permission to log this dnf turned into find due to the the area has modified and cache muggled Thank you CO

Cache that belongs to a new power hider who is becoming negligent about cache maintenance. He archived this missing cache, then allowed 2 more finds dated after the archive.

Could not locate a container. Checked in with the CO, who gave permission to log it as I did all that was necessary and would/should have found it. I was proud of myself for this one.

Someone threw down a cache when a power cache hider didn't respond to DNFs. Then the throw down went missing. The CO granted permission to the next few "finders" to go ahead and log the "find". The power-style CO has stopped physically maintaining his caches and has started allowing virtual finds. The reviewer saw what was going on and archived the cache.

I saw a series of logs recently that fall under this topic because some of them were on my caches. The "finder" took a trip on a canal in their boat - apparently a year ago since the logs are all backdated - and decided to log at least 3 caches along the way. The caches are located at canal locks they passed through and their logs admit they only have the photos from their trip, not the answers for the 2 Earthcaches. Not the first time I've seen Earthcaches treated as photo Virtuals. But the 3rd cache? It's an offset multi. The posted coordinates are at the locks, but the final requires a short hike on a nearby nature trail. When queried about their logs, the response was "take away the find log if you feel compelled to".

If I drive the ET Highway can I log the entire power trail without stopping for any of the caches as long as I post some photos of the scenery? :rolleyes:

Found it

xx/xx/20xx

Dnf we found some velcro.. but no cache today.. Out with c****** and ******* today and ******

Found it

xx/xx/20xx

Its Gone all I found was rope on a tree

To keep a streak alive, they did a throw down:

Found it

xx/xx/20xx

Put a replacement on target. Just a pill bottle and log.

Yes, today of all days. I figure my foot prints were covered by the time I got back to ****.

Pretty cool set up. The world needs more ##### like this.

Keeping up the streak, 333 straight days, find #1388.

TFTC

Edited by igator210

To keep a streak alive, they did a throw down:

Found it

xx/xx/20xx

Put a replacement on target. Just a pill bottle and log.

Yes, today of all days. I figure my foot prints were covered by the time I got back to ****.

Pretty cool set up. The world needs more ##### like this.

Keeping up the streak, 333 straight days, find #1388.

TFTC

What is funny about this one that the same finder did place a DNF on the same cache a few months earlier. :S

When queried about their logs, the response was "take away the find log if you feel compelled to".

That's exactly how these people tend to respond when called out...said in such a way as to make YOU sound like the jerk for deleting the log when THEY are the ones that fabricated the find! Unbelievable...

...and I would still totally delete it. :laughing:

Nothing new about Found It = Didn't Find It-- witness this log from 2002 on a now archived cache.

Found it

03/10/2002

Found it, but didn't find it. Apparently it has either been removed or someone took it. We found the site and the three bricks were there, but nothing else. Looked all over the place, but didn't see anything but old appliances riddled with bullet holes and shell casings laying all over.

This one made me laugh. It was posted between several recent DNFs. Finder has almost 7000 finds, so they are not a newbie. I thought, so why didn't they post it in September when they said they actually found it. Then I saw the date of the posted found log :

2.png Found it

02/29/2016

We found this one during the Car Rally back in September. Forgot about it until today when I was cleaning out some emails, so we're logging it!

Note that this is not a February find! This is just when we got around to logging it! There are a couple of DNFs on this cache, so it may not be there!

Edited by L0ne.R

Here's one to add to your watchlist.

http://coord.info/GCT8HK

It has existed as a fake virtual for many years and was recently archived because of that issue but somehow a cacher that lives hundreds of miles away placed a nano. The "throw down" is so very suspicious - the cacher that supposedly replaced the cache was according to their other logs from that day, not even in the same part of the state. And this is Texas, not Connecticut.

If you want a find in Mexico for a silly badge, actually earn it! Cancun is a cheap and easy flight from anywhere in Texas.

But much like American politics: the votes don't count and lying is what you are expected to do.

If you want a find in Mexico for a silly badge, actually earn it! Cancun is a cheap and easy flight from anywhere in Texas.

But you still might want to read over the cache listings for caches in Cancun before going. I've been watching caches in the area as I'll be there in a couple of weeks. Several of them appear to be missing.

It might be just as cheap and easy to fly to Mexico City. I wish I would have started geocaching before I visited the pyramids in nearby Teotihuacán

But you still might want to read over the cache listings for caches in Cancun before going. I've been watching caches in the area as I'll be there in a couple of weeks. Several of them appear to be missing.

It might be just as cheap and easy to fly to Mexico City. I wish I would have started geocaching before I visited the pyramids in nearby Teotihuacán

Sadly, missing caches may be becoming the norm in Mexico and other Central American countries. From our experience there last year, the majority seem to be vacation caches with dubious maintenance plans.

I am just dealing with "tftc" logs for several caches that I have in one wooded area. The finders swear they found the hides, one ( of the supposed team) even provided general descriptions of the hides ( 4 caches ) , but no individual signed the physical logbook, nor did the supposed team. When I said I could send them photos of the logs they got rude and defensive . I cited the basic " sign the logbook rule" as stated on my cache pages, and deleted their logs. However, the next day they relogged the fake finds under the current date, which I deleted again. *sigh*

#2931 - Happy Pi Day!! Just arrived in YOW and was seeking out the closest cache (which likely wasn't buried under the snow). As I pulled up, the host was quickly spotted. Despite the cold rain, ice and snow, I made my approach. At GZ, I stood there a good 15 minutes trying to figure out how it's supposed to open?!? To me, it looks broken as if there is a piece missing on the right side. I did not want risk breaking it any further so I took some photos and sent the CO a message. I am hoping a "find" is still allowed. Otherwise, I can make another stop on my way back. TFTC!!

This was on a cache I went to find yesterday. The cache was a simple open from the left side, not the right. I opened it within seconds, and I don't even have a third of the cache finds they do.

This one is still going strong. Over a dozen "finds" of an empty PVC pipe in the ground in Poland with one NM back in November and no DNFs.

Found it Found it

17/03/2016

Lost :-(

Photo Empty

And another today. Don't people log DNFs in Europe?

[Caches Found] 231

Found it Found it

21/03/2016

Fitw Dobrais

No more cache there

Photo 20160321_171852

A log on one of my older caches:

"Found it 03/20/2016

Pleasant walk up the sandy path ... rock climbing optional, not required.

Great views. Would be a favorite, but after a 50' search by 4 eyes, we did not find it.

From the looks of previous logs & the fact that we are king & queen of the DNF, it's probably still there ... somewhere.

However, in case it's been nabbed by one of the GD ammo can bandits, we placed a temporary 4" black tube replacement container & log in a crack in a rock at GZ beneath a couple rocks.

We've added this cache to our watch list. If anyone finds the original, we'll change our "find" to "DNF". & if you find both the original & our replacement, please discard the replacement ... or leave it with a note inside that it's a decoy!"

Did they send a photolog of nothing?

Found it Found it

09/03/2016

The numbers on the pole were difficult to read, but with a little guessing for D, I got plausible coordinates. Approaching GZ, I noticed that these were not quite accurate, but I could spot the place as shown in the spoiler picture easily. I then searched the whole place, even climbed into it, but no cache container to be found. I send proof pictures to the owner and ask to accept a fotolog.

TFTC!

So my story is that I actually DID find the cache, had one hand on it, and couldn't unscrew the bison tube without falling out of the tree. If I had been a few inches taller, or if the bison wasn't zip-tied to the tree, I could have gotten to the log.

CO refused to accept that. Said I had to sign log. "Bring a ladder or a taller friend." Grrrrrr.

So my story is that I actually DID find the cache, had one hand on it, and couldn't unscrew the bison tube without falling out of the tree. If I had been a few inches taller, or if the bison wasn't zip-tied to the tree, I could have gotten to the log.

CO refused to accept that. Said I had to sign log. "Bring a ladder or a taller friend." Grrrrrr.

If it were me I'd log a DNF then come back with a ladder.

Had one similar today.

One of my least favorites that I'll still access - bison up a pine.

Once there, noticed it had one of those little clear nano tubes inside to boot (ebay specials have these...), and no real way to hold on while accessing the thing.

Dropped back down with it in my pocket. Replaced after signing.

If I couldn't reach/unscrew it to sign, my log would've been a write note (and explain why). :)

I had one similar where the main part of the cache had been confiscated by the property manager because it had been hidden on private property without permission. However, some friends and I didn't know that and we found a piece of the original cache, a piece that was in fact part of a log. A real log, i.e., a slice of raw wood. We thought that was the intended log for the cache since it was clearly out of place there and was a "log." We signed the "log" and the CO later verified that we signed it and that it was in fact part of the original cache container, and that we were reasonable to have thought it was the log, but since it wasn't the original piece of paper he had intended as the log, he didn't allow it. I thought that was a bit too much.

How about the Paris Webcam cache ? The webcam stopped working several months ago and people started posting selfies at the spot and pictures of the camera itself.

The cache has been archived last week but people are still posting pictures. I wonder how long this is going to last, maybe forever if nobody locks it...

Funny thing, the CO archived it but he doesn't seem to care about all those bogus logs.

"Canister is missing. All that's left is the top"

"String only. Missing can. Cap on ground"

Apparently finding where the cache used to be before it got muggled counts for some people..

Another suspicious log has two people together logging a cache, one posts a found it and the other posts a DNF log and says that neither of them found it.

How about the Paris Webcam cache ? The webcam stopped working several months ago and people started posting selfies at the spot and pictures of the camera itself.

The cache has been archived last week but people are still posting pictures. I wonder how long this is going to last, maybe forever if nobody locks it...

Funny thing, the CO archived it but he doesn't seem to care about all those bogus logs.

If it is bothering you, you can report it to the reviewer for that area and they can lock the listing.

In another thread, the topic of logging a find when the cacher really didn't find the cache was mentioned. Someone suggested it would make an interesting topic on its own. I agree.

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

Here's my first contribution:

icon_smile.gif Found the spot, but not the cache! No film canister that I could find, but I was right on it at 0.0 feet! 1st find on my own!

I once recently logged a smiley when I found the remnants of a storm destroyed cache, but I DID find it. It was not repairable, so I logged a smiley, and posted a Maintenance log. This is a gray area for me....

Found it

27/03/2016

The xxxxxx xxxxx was a really nice place to visit. we came early in the morning at about 0830 just to get to know that it opens at 0900. so we were the first ones to enter the area and did some nice pictures; but i will only upload an unusual one, as i was so fascinated about the trees which are growing here.

Photo special trees

View Log

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 1132

Found it

14/03/2016

We didn't found the Cache - the same as searchers before - but we visited xxxxxx xxxxx and took a photo for evidence.

TFTC

Photo

View Log

[Member Found it

12/03/2016

We did not have the chance to look for many caches in India during our round trip, but this one was right were we had a planned stop. As already indicated, the container was stolen, but I had a look anyway, with no luck. By the permission of the owner I attach a photo as proof and log this one as a found.

Thanks for my first and so far last cache in India!

Photo At the cache site

View Log

found 5872

Found it Found it

29/02/2016

[E] Cache found during my stay in India during French school holidays.

The program, a tour inside the Triangle Amritsar, Varanasi, with starting point Delhi where live and work my son.

Awesome experience made numerous meetings with the population and varied and extraordinary discoveries for a Western .

Negative: the incessant noise and pollution .

. However I have not been disappointed, the reality was the image of what I had read and seen before coming here .

Box not found , I took a picture to show my passage

Great place, thank you for this discovery. Geocaching as I love

Photo

View Log

[Caches Found] 6358

Didn't find it Didn't find it

18/02/2016

We had plenty of time to search for the cache, but it is definitely gone.

First DNF in India

View Log

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 896

Found it

24/01/2016

The cache was not there but we found the tree and sent a mail to the Co. By looking for this cache we also saw a beautifull Temple with a great view over xxxxxx.

Photo The Temple

View Log

[Caches Found] 10

Didn't find it

13/01/2016

Found the tree but was unable to find the cache. Maybe it has been muggled.. Beautiful spot though!!!

View Log

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 1065

Didn't find it

11/11/2015

I was with a group and did not have time to search for it.

Gorgeous place!

Photo Den at the Entrance to the Cenotaph

View Log

shiva71

Premium Member

Found] 4068

Found it Found it

06/11/2015

While traveling through Rajasthan with a group we also made a stop at this wonderful place. I did see the place where the cache is hidden but due to "millions" of schoolchildren at this place I only send a fotolog. Hope this is ok I think otherwise this cache would have been missing again.

Thanks from a cacher from Switzerland

Photo At Jodhpur

View Log

Premium Member

[Caches Found] 12120

Found it Found it

16/10/2015

Only our second find in India for a variety of reasons. After corresponding with the owner, we were travelling with a replacement cache for this site. I wasn't sure whether we would get here, but to our delight the first stop on today's plan was this wonderful site. No crowds around, so with a bit of nice teamwork Mrs W went with the guide while I veered off for the gz. I soon located the hiding spot and popped in a new film canister. All good to go, and thanks for the great location.