Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

Premium Member

Found it 05/07/2015

Not so Bueno! Me thinks the grounds maintenance crew found this one. Small rocks at GZ. No cache. Felt around various possible places with no results. Very recent grounds keeping activity. I have logged this as a find. If I am wrong let me know and I will delete my find log.

About a year ago I started getting some strange logs on one of my caches in town:

---

Didn't find it 10/23/2014

POSSIBLY SPOILER ALERT.....

I'm not sure if I found this or not? Saw a canister, but way too big for the size description, and unaccessible from the street????

---

Found it 11/01/2014

Found canister box in the gardens side. Need maintenance from owner

---

Found it 12/31/2014

Found it, not bad. But it is not an extra small.

---

Found it 02/07/2015

We found the cache but it appeared to have fallen into the gardens behind the wall. We couldn't access from street.

---

Write note 02/09/2015

I don't know what people are spotting on the other side of that wall that makes them think that it is the cache, but that is not the cache.

Please re-read the description and note the container size and terrain rating.

---

Write note 02/11/2015

We found it for real this time! CDS explained that it's not the large plastic box visible thru the hole in the garden wall. It's something else... Thank you!

---

Found it 03/18/2015

What a beautiful place to hide it. A very nice lady let me in to find it. They are closed until next week. Thanks for the hide.

---

Thinking it was just a piece of garbage or something that people were seeing inside the garden wall, I didn't pay much attention to it, until the last guy posted pictures of himself with the alleged cache. There was even a log book.

So I ended up amending the listing for the cache with this picture and note for clarification:

b3396761-dedc-4733-9bb8-519ff8356aa8_l.jpg

There have been several 'Finds' referencing a container inside of the garden, visible from the street.

This is not mine and I do not know where it came from. The proper cache is a micro and it is

definitely outside of the garden wall.

Still have not figured out what this was about.

Found it

09/28/2015

The MMCC put a throwdown replacement container here and signed MMCC on the log. TFTC.

Found it

09/28/2015

Out with the MMCC group today. There were 12 of us looking and we were sure it was gone, so we replaced the cache for the next cachers. Thanks!!!

I'll skip the other 9 Found It logs by the same group. I was surprised to see this:

Didn't find it (10,000+ finds - and honest ones!)

09/28/2015

I was caching with the MMCC today. We couldn't spot this one. A replacement was added.

Found it

I found the hollow in the base of the tree, but the cache is missing. I'm going to make the claim anyway because of the effort I made. When it's replaced, I'll come back and sign the log.

Not to mention that the 'finder' double-logged the cache (2 identical 'found it' logs) and did not post an NM log. <_<

Not sure why they don't just log the cache as 'found' when they "come back and sign the log".

Cacher1 Premium Member Didn't find it 29 Jul 15

Rien trouvé ici... 2eme dnf de la journée...

Bel endroit malgré les travaux.

Owner Premium Member Temporarily Disable Listing 29 Jul 15

La cache a de nouveau disparu !

Je la désactivée le temps que l'été passe ...

Cacher1 Premium Member Found it 29 Jul 15

je log avec l'autorisation de l'owner

joli endroit et beaux chevaux!

MPLC

Translation (in short):

Cacher1 logs DNF

Owner confirms cache is gone and disables listing

Cacher1 logs a found (allowed by CO)

BTW, cache is now archived by reviewer.

This FOUND IT log:

Came to Colorado for a nieces wedding and I'm caching for 3 days up and down the front range. I had signed the 100 mile challenge cache a few years ago in Denver but have not been out past Limon to grab a bunch of caches. I noticed the last few finders could not find this one. I couldn't either. Went back to the rental car to see if I had a cache in my backpack. I took out a small first aid kit and put a log in it. Hid between the stump and the fence. This is now my 3rd 100 mile cache. Planning on going to Cheyenne to get your north cache on Saturday

was followed by this OM log:

I was advised by a wonderfully helpful cacher in Pueblo that they have replaced this missing cache. As I wasn't sure when I would be "down South" next, I greatly appreciate their help!!!

I've only got 40, but even I know if ya don't find it, you can log it as "Did not find" and it has a blue frowny face that goes with it. shows you were there, you looked, but ya didn't find it. And if it's so you can't get to it write then (like yesterday when to many people were around) ya just skip it, and try again later, with OUT a log post. Or leave it as a "NOTE".

Normally, someone logging a :rolleyes: and then noting that they did not find the cache doesn't bother me because this is not a competition and if they want to generate bad stats that is up to them. However when they do so at a cache that has had numerous other DNF logs, this serves to potentially discourage a CO from going to the location to check on the cache, or in the event of absentee COs, it delays the needed archival of the cache from happening. In my own case, I put every DNF on a watchlist so that once it is found I go back and relook for it. There is nothing more frustrating than to have someone check as found when the cache is still missing.

Normally, someone logging a :rolleyes: and then noting that they did not find the cache doesn't bother me because this is not a competition and if they want to generate bad stats that is up to them. However when they do so at a cache that has had numerous other DNF logs, this serves to potentially discourage a CO from going to the location to check on the cache, or in the event of absentee COs, it delays the needed archival of the cache from happening. In my own case, I put every DNF on a watchlist so that once it is found I go back and relook for it. There is nothing more frustrating than to have someone check as found when the cache is still missing.

Aside from newbies that don't know any better, geocaching *is* competitive, hence the throw-down caches and the Found logs on caches that are obviously missing. If the game is not competitive, have you been to an event and you didn't either ask someone how many finds they had or were asked the same question yourself?

Please don't reply to this message, as I'd like to keep this ancient topic on track. If you want to discuss it message me or tag me in a new thread.

Happy Holidays!

7.png 12/19/2015 VelcroBuddy#3 Container for this cache has been reported missing since at least 8/19/15 with only the velcro attachment remaining... this one appears to have been abandoned. Thanks.

2.png 12/19/2015 VelcroBuddy#3

Found it while caching withVelcroBuddy#1 and VelcroBuddy#2 TFTH. SL. Thanks for the fun..

2.png 12/19/2015 VelcroBuddy#2

Found this with VelcroBuddy#1 and VelcroBuddy#3 while in the area for the event. The container is missing and needs to be replaced, only the velcro remains. TFTH.

2.png 12/19/2015 VelcroBuddy#1

Found it while caching with VelcroBuddy#2 and VelcroBuddy#3 TFTH. SL. Thanks for the fun.

2.png12/12/2015 VelcroCacher

Velcro is still there but the container is missing. Didn't have anything with which to replace it.

3.png 8/19/15 Geocacher:

Found the Velcro, but no cache.

2.png11/10/2015 velcroCacher#3

Good place for a cache, but nothing there. CO needs to check

2.png10/23/2015 velcroCacher#2

Found location but no cache :( warning about alligators was a first! (visiting from UK)

2.png 09/27/2015 velcroCacher

found this one to be missing

45.pngGeocacher 08/09/2015

Found where the cache should be. Velcro still there, but no cache or log.

Found it December 1st By xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hier al 3 keer geweest en niets te vinden!!!!!!

Translation:

Found it

Third time here and found nothing!!!!!

November 17th: reviewer note

October 5th

Temporary unavailable because cache had been stolen a few times

October 4th

Found it Agree with previous logs

October 4th

DNF Searched for a long time, I think it's missing

October 4th

Note Found nothing. Missing?

Another one

Found it By xxxxx Found=3889

Nu ik toch naar het Kasteel Singelberg kwam, kon ik deze cache erbij nemen.

Van het kasteel is niets overgebleven, doch van deze cache ook niet !

Het enig restant is de houder, doch koker en logrol zijn verdwenen.

Er valt hier dus niets meer te beleven.

Translation:

The only remnant is the holderfixture, tube and log are gone.

There is nothing here anymore.

:)Found it

As I approached GZ I spotted something hanging from a tree. I moved closer to see just what it was. It was not a cache, but a toy. I searched all over the beacon and another one nearby, but there was not a cache to be found. I took a picture of the item I found hanging at GZ and will send it to the CO as proof I was at GZ. As others have done I will be logging this one as a Found it. Getting out here was too much work not to get a smiley for it. I hope the CO can get out and fix this one up.

Received an e-mail over the weekend that went something like this. Found your cache but was unable to remove the red tube from it's spot. I think it was frozen in place.

As a cache owner what would your response be?

A. Sorry. Come back in the spring.

B. Chisel that sucker out.

C. Ok to log as a find.

Received an e-mail over the weekend that went something like this. Found your cache but was unable to remove the red tube from it's spot. I think it was frozen in place.

C. Ok to log as a find.

Normally, signing the log is most important to me. But in your case, getting to the log would require extra measures that might cause damage to the container. Stating that they did find the "red tube" (you know at least they were probably there) i'd go with C this time.

C. Ok to log as a find.

If it has the "not available in winter" attribute, don't allow the log. If it doesn't have the attribute, allow the log, but disable the cache listing for the winter (and set the attribute).

C. Ok to log as a find.

If it has the "not available in winter" attribute, don't allow the log. If it doesn't have the attribute, allow the log, but disable the cache listing for the winter (and set the attribute).

This cache is winter friendly and has the corresponding attribute. I'm sure some moisture from condensation combined with the freezing temps lately caused the bison tube to become frozen in it's spot. Not a common occurrence, at least not enough to disable the cache for the winter. That being said how would you answer the posted question?

C. Ok to log as a find.

I'd let that slide. I'd rather they not try and chisel it out and possibly destroy the container and it seems silly to make them come back. The point of the log is to prove that they found it. If they described the container and extracting the container was not a planned part of the challenge, then they found it as far as I'm concerned.

Now these...nah

:) Found nothing but a large magnet, see xxx's log.

:) Looks like this was a fun hide. Found the magnet only Replaced it with a bit of a log sheet under it. It was a beautiful day to be caching around Casa Grande with ttttttt (signed at 2Ts). Appreciated the variety of hides and containers. Thanks for the fun! xxx

Edited by briansnat

I usually try not to point out people's idiocy in such a blunt way, but I had to on this one.

Log on a puzzle cache:

Got the green light on the coordinate checker but couldn't find the actual cache...4 of us looking. Looked at past logs...we are on correct sode of road...buy cache is nowhere to be found. Gonna log this as a found cache since the coordinated checked...but couldn't sign log. TFTC puzzl! First time up here!!

-----

I found the cache about a week later, which had some coord issues that were addressed in previous logs. My log:

Fun puzzle! Cache is definitely still there. To save you some scrolling: coords are off. Add .016 to west coord once you solve to get the right location. Also, don't mark a cache as found if you didn't actually find it. Log it as a dnf because, well, you didn't find it. This helps the CO stay updated on the status of their cache. Cheers and happy caching.

------

</logs>

Imagine if you went to the store to buy a toy for your kid, knew the correct aisle it was on, came home, and told him you bought it even though you couldn't find it in the store. Makes about the same amount of sense as the previous finder. Sheesh, some people.

P.S. The CO has a lot of great puzzle caches in the area and soon fixed the coord issue.

Came across this laugher, from one of the most prolific finders, on a 5/1.5 from one of the most prolific hiders:

Found it

07/12/2012

Visiting from Denver on my annual cache-a-thon. Left a replacement container and log and SL. Thanks for hiding this cache for me to find!

Cache find #49178.

From looking at the cache page it has two legitimate finds, 32 DNF's.

Premium Member

Caches (allegedly) Found: 4435

:) Found it 01/18/2016

"Walked to the beautiful spot and thoroughly checked all the different holes. The location is perfect and the view of the park is great. Unfortunately, the cache is definitively gone (I have long arms and checked deep into the tree). The cache owner is apparently no longer active and did not react to an earlier "needs maintenance", that's why I'm logging it as find. The spot is super nice and the cache needs adopting :)"

colleda,

Pay attention to CanadianRockies note above.

Just a reminder. From this thread's original post:

This thread is for all those smiley-faced logs that admit that the hunters did not really find the cache.

Let's not start a debate, or accuse people of cheating or any of that. No names, no links, just the log.

This thread is for posting humorous Found/DNF logs. Not for pointing fingers. Links not acceptable.

I was on a "Cache Machine" event. 3 of us were at a cache signing the log when another car drove up with 4 people in it. They looked at what we were doing, the driver said "There it is" and they drove off. Unless I am wrong on who they were, they all logged a find. I know one of these events can fill a log quickly but not even getting out of the car doesn't seem right.

7 DNFs go back to June.

An NA posted in December. Reviewer temporary disables it same day as NA post.

The person who posted a DNF in June returns to throw down a cache and claim a smiley. He posts:

I took the liberty of replacing this cache as it will be shutdown shortly.

CO doesn't seem to be in game ... if he/she is ... please accept my apologies .. just hated to see this one archived.

Cache is archived one month later. He doesn't report picking up his throw down.

Archive 30/1/2016

Gezien er geen response is op de log waar aan de CO gevraagd werd om deze geocache na te zien, wordt deze geocache gearchiveerd.

Found it 8/1/2016

Oeps.... Met meer geluk dan kunde tot bij de cache geraakt, en dan merken dat het onmogelijk is om ter plaatse te loggen.

Mooie lokatie, dus toch graag dat deze snel wordt onderhouden zodat hij blijft bestaan.

Temporarily Disable Listing 28/12/2015

Found it 4/9/2015

Op de terugweg van Brussel even langsgewipt om deze te kunnen loggen. Loggen zelf was helaas niet meer mogelijk. Dringend onderhoud nodig, best wel jammer dat die aan het verkommeren is want dit soort caches, daar hou ik echt wel van.

Als hier nog onderhoud aan gebeurt deel ik bij deze graag een favo uit.

TFTC!

Needs Maintenance 29/8/2015

Zie log...

Found it 29/8/2015

Een nat pakje papier naast een vuile handschoen is alles wat we vonden in de boom. Het pakje is niet meer te ontrollen. Dringend onderhoud nodig...

Translation:

Archive 01/30/2016

Since there is no response on the log which was requested from the CO to check this geocache, this geocache is archived.

Found it 01/08/2016

Oops .... With more luck than skill I found the cache, and then saw that it is impossible to log.

Nice place, so still like it to be quickly maintained so it remains.

Temporarily Disable Listing 12/28/2015

Found it 04/09/2015

On the way back from Brussels stopped to log this. Logging was no longer possible. urgently needed maintenance, quite a pity that this cache is not maintained because I like these types of caches.

If maintenance is done this deserves a favorite point.

TFTC!

Needs Maintenance 08/29/2015

See log ...

Found it 08/29/2015

A wet wad of paper next to a dirty glove is all that we found in the tree. The paper can't be unrolled anymore. Urgently needed maintenance ...

Found it 24/1/2016

Deze ga ik loggen als gevonden daar er in de verste verte zelfs geen papiertjes potteke of dekseltjes te vinden waren . dan de nonnekes nog op mijn dak en heel de boel stond op zijn kop gelieve deze toch eens na te kijken is deze er wel mag mijn log verwijderd worden

TFTC

Found it 18/1/2016

deze werd niet gevonden,ook gestpt met zoeken toen er een zuster toekwam.

Translate:

Found it 1/24/2016

I log this as found there isn't even a paper, container or lid to be found anywhere. Then the nuns came to complain and the whole lot was turned upside please check this. If the cache is still there you can delete my log.

TFTC

Found it 1/18/2016

it was not detected, even stopped searching when a sister deserved.

Cache was archived as there was no permission.

Another one:

11/8/2015 Found log

11/08/2015 DNF after 1 hour searching.

11/08/2015 DNF

13/08/2015 DNF

13/08/2015 Temporary disabled

21/12/2015 Reviewer note

31/12/2015 Archived by reviewer because of lack of response by CO

2/2/2016 Found it Easy find TFTC

Another one:

Archived 30/1/2016

Found it 24/1/2016

Found #1 and #2 and some others. Found #6 but couldn't log. Log missing

Found it 17/1/2016

Found the spot, couldn't log

Post Reviewer Note 30/12/2015

Temporarily Disable Listing 29/10/2015

Will replace log ASAP

Found it 20/10/2015

Nicely made, please check this cache. No log to be found

Found it 14/10/2015

found the "installation" but not the container

Found it 14/10/2015

Found but no log was found

Didn't find it 3/10/2015 By same cacher

Seen where the cache was hidden. Log disappeared

Needs Maintenance 3/10/2015

Seen where the cache was hidden. Log disappeared

Vieux Sémaphore - I went there twice (2013 and 2014) despite being a long walk from the road (and 800 miles from home!). The second time I thought I'd found it, and logged it as such. After all, it was on the coordinates and was a standard container with "geocaching" mentioned on the label and a well-used log book.

Later, on translating the latest note from the CO I realised that I'd found a "wrong"box (at the same spot as the cache) so I had to change my log to another DNF (the first time I found nothing, but it seems that the cache was missing then). The owner archived the cache eventually after too many "found" logs on the incorrect container. I'm not sure why he didn't simply remove the duplicate though.

On a cache that I recently DNF'd (as had 3 cachers before me) and according to all previous logs it was a quick and easy find. So it's fair to say that this one has gone missing. I went back a few days ago to check again, still no sign so I posted a NM. The very next day this pops up from a cacher with circa 10'000 'finds':

A quick find by the team while doing this nice circuit round the airfield. Couple of planes and gliders up today. Replaced with the consent of the CO.

Brilliant.