Sign in to follow this  
Followers 51
Jamie Z

Found It = Didn't Find It

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, DrJeckyloftheDunes said:

Ha, I'm relatively new and only have the one cache so far but I've had a few people tell me they can't open the cache but log it anyway. It has an appropriate difficulty rating and has the field puzzle attribute. I will say that the majority of those finders are relatively new so they will probably learn that they need to sign the logs. 

How?

If they don't complete your puzzle and sign the log, then log it anyway, and you let the logs stand, then no, they won't learn that they need to sign the log. In fact, by doing nothing you're reinforcing the idea that "close enough is good enough".

If you care, follow up their log with a nice message explaining what's up and invite them to change their log to a DNF, then try again.

Up to you as to whether or not to give them some time, then delete their "Found Its". You could decide that just sending them that message as a friendly nudge is 'training' enough.

20 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

How?

If they don't complete your puzzle and sign the log, then log it anyway, and you let the logs stand, then no, they won't learn that they need to sign the log. In fact, by doing nothing you're reinforcing the idea that "close enough is good enough".

If you care, follow up their log with a nice message explaining what's up and invite them to change their log to a DNF, then try again.

Up to you as to whether or not to give them some time, then delete their "Found Its". You could decide that just sending them that message as a friendly nudge is 'training' enough.

I have sent everyone that hasn't opened the cache and signed the log a personal message giving them a hint and letting them know that they must sign the log. I'm leaving it up to them to do the right thing.

• Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, DrJeckyloftheDunes said:

I have sent everyone that hasn't opened the cache and signed the log a personal message giving them a hint and letting them know that they must sign the log. I'm leaving it up to them to do the right thing.

Deciding HOW to deal with this is your prerogative as a CO. Others will disagree, but that's OK.

Thanks for paying attention to this. I think it matters, too.

• Helpful 1

Found itFound it

10/05/2018

I am guessing that the container is missing as i found a location consistant with the hint holding material likely to have been used for attachment.

Found itFound it   07/25/2019

This one is clearly gone
I replaced the hanging cache

Found itFound it

11/24/2013

I believe XX and I were the last ones to hold the famed cryptex in our hands. Sadly, we never got to sign the log because the cache went missing, but in communicating with the CO, he confirmed we stood directly in front of, and thoroughly investigated, the container's hiding spot. I waited to log this, hoping he would get around to replacing the final ammo can, but to no avail. Such a shame...this was a fun series.

Found itFound it

06/29/2019

I was part of the group that attended the XXX event and signed the log in prep for these to be placed.

• Upvote 1

Personally, a cache isn't bagged if I didn't find it, sign the log and take images of its contents and the area around it. I will post the pic of the contents of a cache, but I won't submit the pics of the actual hiding spot.  This helps to confirm I actually bagged the cache, and it allows the CO to monitor the cache.  'Found It' does mean something, but i'm seeing here that it means something different to others. This isn't rocket science you know...

Also, I found an 'earth cache' a few days ago, but i couldn't count it since i hadn't yet fulfilled the wishes of the CO.  The CO asked to be e-mailed with the answers to a few questions and then it would count.  I eventually will get around to doing it when I have the time.

• Upvote 2

Reply to inquiry after online Found It log (emphasis is mine):

I took my [relatives] by there and introduced them to the activity, they most likely signed [real name] and [real name] my [relative] [username] was with us her signing should be there as well I didn't get a chance to sign my personal name

On 7/29/2019 at 5:04 PM, Harry Dolphin said:

Found itFound it

06/29/2019

I was part of the group that attended the XXX event and signed the log in prep for these to be placed.

Oh, my...

• Upvote 1

Found itFound it

10/05/2018

I am guessing that the container is missing as i found a location consistant with the hint holding material likely to have been used for attachment.

Found itFound it

05/2019

I asked CO for logging permission because I think the original cache is gone, but I found what I believe it used to be based on the hint. There is no stick, band, or 35mm container at the location anymore. I signed a small piece of wood and left it in a hiding spot.

On 7/31/2019 at 3:35 PM, Ftttu said:

Personally, a cache isn't bagged if I didn't find it, sign the log and take images of its contents and the area around it.

If I had to take a photograph of every cache I found that would slow done the finds and the enjoyment. Signing the log (clearly) is enough, as the CO doing their job will check the log (I do) and take action if the signature isn't there. One day I found 82 caches. (Many have found more than that.) Imagine needing to photograph each and all of the cache logs, and then not get the photographs mixed. I only photograph the log for FTF, if the signature might be a problem to see (I once signed in charcoal because I forgot my pen..which I rarely forget), or I need to show the state of the log and container to the CO, often as part of a NM.

prem_user.gifPremium Member 2.png3307 

Found itFound it 03/31/2019

LOOK a new container (preforn soda bottle: HINTis now 643) located about 10 meters north. Live long and prosper.

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png3387 
Needs MaintenanceNeeds Maintenance 03/09/2019

This geocacher reported that the cache might be missing.

prem_user.gifPremium Member  2.png3387 

Write noteWrite note 03/09/2019

No finds and 7 DNFs in nearly 3 years.

Two and half years and numerous DNFs and a NM in May. Has been reviewer disabled.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

2.png1323

Found itFound it

16/06/2019

In light of the previous logs and the apparent lack of maintenance we are treating this cache as a virtual. Managed to get all the questions answered and then ventured to the next location. Like all recent previous visitors we did not find a cache container. We found this to be a very interesting cache. Of some interest was the rank of all the listed aircrew, LAC, an NCO rank in the military, equivalent to Lance Corporal. This may have been quite normal given the training nature of the aircraft.

• Surprised 1

trebonak

Profile photo for trebonak

2.png12204

Needs ArchivedNeeds Archived

8. 7. 2019

Tento hráč oznámil, že keš by měla být archivována. Reviewer byl informován.

EBABEB

reg_user.gifMember

Profile photo for EBABEB

2.png190

Found itFound it

6. 7. 2019

Found together with trebonak during the journey to holiday in Monrenegro.
TFTC
Pohodový ranní odlov společně s trebonakem během cesty na dovolenou v Černé Hoře.
TFTC
.........@.................@.......
.....@@.................@@.....
...@@......................@@....
..@@.........................@@...
.@@...........................@@..
.@@............................@@..
.@@....@@@@@@....@@..
..@@.@@@@@@@.@@..
...@@@@@@@@@@@...
.@@@@@@@@@@@@..
...@@@@@@@@@@@...
.....@@@@@@@@@@.....
.....@@@@@@@@@@.....
.......@@@@@@@@@.....
......@@@@@@@@@@.....
......@@@@@@@@@@.....
..@@@@@@@@@@@@..
.@@@@@@@@@@@@@.
.@@@@@@@@@@@@@.
..@@..@@@@@@@..@@..
...@@.......@@@@.....@@..
....@@........................@@...
.....@@......................@@....
.…...@.........................@.....

trebonak

2.png12204

Write noteWrite note

6. 7. 2019

The cache is in the forbidden area.
It is not possible to park on both sides of the dam or enter the dam.🚷
There are security cameras everywhere and an unpleasant guard of the dam.

trebonak

2.png12204

Found itFound it

6. 7. 2019

Found together with EBABEB during the journey to holiday in Monrenegro.
The dam is interesting and the water very clean with plenty of fish.
The big problem is with parking and with access to the dike. There are security cameras everywhere and no entry and no parking area.
A security guard has forbidden us to park at the recommended parking place.
It was an unpleasant experience.
TFTC
Odloveno společně s EBABEB během cesty na dovolenou v Černé Hoře.
Během chůze po hrázi nás z hráze vykázal člověk z ochranky s tím, že jsou všude bezpečnostní kamery a všude platí zákaz parkování i vstupu.
Po nás vyhnal každého turistu, který vstoupil na hráz.
Byla to docela nepříjemná zkušenost.
TFTC
.........@.................@.......
.....@@.................@@.....
...@@......................@@....
..@@.........................@@...
.@@...........................@@..
.@@............................@@..
.@@....@@@@@@....@@..
..@@.@@@@@@@.@@..
...@@@@@@@@@@@...
.@@@@@@@@@@@@..
...@@@@@@@@@@@...
.....@@@@@@@@@@.....
.....@@@@@@@@@@.....
.......@@@@@@@@@.....
......@@@@@@@@@@.....
......@@@@@@@@@@.....
..@@@@@@@@@@@@..
.@@@@@@@@@@@@@.
.@@@@@@@@@@@@@.
..@@..@@@@@@@..@@..
...@@.......@@@@.....@@..
....@@........................@@...
.....@@......................@@....
.…...@.........................@.....

Náročnosť:
2.5 out of 5
Terén:
3.5 out of 5

nevhodná pre detiodlov v noci sa neodporúčanie je prístupná pre samostatného človeka na vozíčkumože si vyžadovať brodeniepozor na útes / padajúce skaly

gander.pl

Profile photo for gander.pl

2.png360

Found itFound it

29. 6. 2019

Comparing the spoiler, I located the place of hiding the container. Because the predecessor reported that the container is gone and because the passage seemed to me slippery and dangerous I did not try to get to this place. Foto log in finding a place.

TFTC :-)

Found it

02/10/2018

We decided to log this as found but we didn't actually touch it, we saw it and climbed to it, but those pesky guardians of the cache (wasps nest) prevented us reaching it! Picture attached to prove the find. Tftc

Found it

02/10/2018

Im going to say we found this one. I went to go and retrieve it but it had a wasps next right next to it and i couldnt get past it.

Found it

07/10/2018

F

Found it

13/04/2019

So windy here today but no wasps about. Located and retrieved. TFTC

Found it

15/05/2019

Logged as found. Worried about wasps nest so didn't attempt. Allergic to wasps 😱🙄😨

Found it

14/07/2019

We spotted the hiding place but like many before us the wasps prevented us from getting up there.

Found it

14/07/2019

Like others before us we knew where it was but not attemped it due to the bee's nest

Archive

18/08/2019

The area has become overgrown this black thorn and there is also a wasp nest very close by