Found It = Didn't Find It

Jamie Z

I found one the other day but the log was completely in accessible unless you had plyers. So I logged a find but didn't sign the log. I just didn't have plyers on me to get the log out

This is the subject of another thread. Lotta talk on the cache page about everything other than the cache.

A simple "may need tweezers" coulda been added to "Bring your own pen".

Well, picked the perfect thread to be honest in . :lol:

When I give one hundred percent and could not find the geocache, I always mark it as DNF.

I do it for two reasons:

1) let the owner know at least one person could not find it. If other people mark it as a DNF either before me or after me, it might mean the owner need to check on it. If somebody did not find the Geocaches I hidden (I only hidden two so far), I want to know.

2) If a newbie can't find it, no matter how many people found it before or after me, it at least gives them a little encouragement. When I was a newbie, and I could not find a Geocache, it at least made me feel a little better if I was not the only who could not find it.

If I could not give one hundred percent, I leave a note on why I could not give one hundred percent. Last time that happen, I left a note that said "I could not search for this one because some old guy was laying near where I thought the Geocache was".

Premium Member

Caches Found1084

Didn't find it 06/20/2016

Saw where others had signed a stump; but a stump is not a log from a cache. Logging as a find when there is no cache is not right.

Premium Member

Caches Found2421

Found it 06/05/2016

Logged the stump the container seems to be missing

Premium Member

Caches Found1085

Found it 06/05/2016

Found where used to be signed stump to be funny. Tftc

Premium Member

Caches Found132

Found it 04/17/2016

Found where the cache used to be. Think cache is gone. Found a few remnants. (Remnants weren't from the cache)

Caches Found18

Write note 04/16/2016

I think this one has fallen.

Something a little different but the same.

[Caches Found] 372

Needs Maintenance

15/04/2010

This one I can tell you is not there. I was there the other day and knowing the exact cache location from finding it in the past, and it was missing then as well.

Premium Member

Caches Found 293

Found it 08/02/2015

Well we found stage 3 after the third try found stage 2 got to stage 3 and it appears to ha e been flooded and was washed out. Weare 90 percent sure we're in the right spot but no cache...

Premium Member

Caches Found 2010

Found it 01/31/2015

Ran out for a daily and met up with Cacher X and Cacher Y at stage 1. Nice spot to reflect on the cache under the tree protected from the rain/snow. When we finally got to the final and searching around it, we saw lots of big trucks coming down the dirt road. Must be a big day for 4x4 trucks in the area. We searched for about 15 minutes and found nothing. We got confirmation we where at the correct location and then saw the previous logs. Sad! I love the ammo box caches! Thanks for the fun hunt.

Premium Member

Caches Found 1684

Found it 01/31/2015

TFTMC!! Cacher Z and I worked our way through this one after some help from Cacher X at stage 1. I swear I looked in every nook and cranny there was,and there are lots! Cacher X made the stage 1 find and we made quick work of plotting our next stop. Cacher Z and I headed off to stage 2 and found it quickly. After an unfortunate miscalculation in the final we were back on course. Lots of serious bush waking through very wet willow in the snow. Made it to the final and searched all over for an ammo can but couldn't find anything. Reading the last few posts it is likely gone. Dropped a silver bison in the tree for the time being. If the CO would like to replace the ammo can I will happily pick up the cache any time. Fun Multi!

Archive 30/6/2016 By owner (Found=2869 Hidden=30, as of 4/7/2016)

Write note 19/6/2016 By yyyyyyy (Found=348 Hidden=0, as of 4/7/2016)

Sorry, didn't find

Found it 19/6/2016 By yyyyyyy (Found=348 Hidden=0, as of 4/7/2016)

Found

Didn't find it 19/6/2016 By xxxxxxxxx (Found=62 Hidden=0, as of 4/7/2016)

Idem: There's a stone, no cache

Found it 3/6/2016 By xxxxxxxx (Found=12 Hidden=0, as of 4/7/2016)

Found stone but unfortunately , no cache

Write note 3/6/2016 By xxxxxxxx (Found=2 Hidden=0, as of 4/7/2016)

Found stone, no cache

Found it 16/5/2016 By xxxxxxxxxx (Found=1008 Hidden=1, as of 4/7/2016)

2 multi's and 4 tradjes today, Ended at playground and a drink

Thanks for the caches

Found it 16/5/2016 By xxxxxxxxxx (Found=135 Hidden=0, as of 4/7/2016)

Found

Found it 5/5/2016 By xxxxxxxxx (Found=57 Hidden=0, as of 4/7/2016)

Found

Didn't find it 5/5/2016 By xxxxxxxxxx (Found=74 Hidden=0, as of 4/7/2016)

Found stone but no cache

Premium Member

Caches Found 167

Found it 07/25/2015

Saw but wasnt able to get to due to grass mudd

Premium Member

Caches Found 456

Found it 07/13/2015

I found this one, but the grass is so over grown right not that I couldn't get to it. I'll come back in winter to sign the log. TFTC

When I give one hundred percent and could not find the geocache, I always mark it as DNF.

I do it for two reasons:

1) let the owner know at least one person could not find it. If other people mark it as a DNF either before me or after me, it might mean the owner need to check on it. If somebody did not find the Geocaches I hidden (I only hidden two so far), I want to know.

2) If a newbie can't find it, no matter how many people found it before or after me, it at least gives them a little encouragement. When I was a newbie, and I could not find a Geocache, it at least made me feel a little better if I was not the only who could not find it.

If I could not give one hundred percent, I leave a note on why I could not give one hundred percent. Last time that happen, I left a note that said "I could not search for this one because some old guy was laying near where I thought the Geocache was".

Yes if you give it 100 percent go ahead. I wish others would log DNFs and if they can't search write note to say they were there. If I can't find a cache in a location other than where I think it might be, posting a note lets the CO I was there but it doesn't make them think it needs to be checked on in the near future.

prem_user.gifPremium Member

Caches found: 10000

2.png Found it

Add us to the list of dnf'ers, even with the CO's help! Logging with permission of the CO since cache has been confirmed missing.

Edited by L0ne.R

Didn't find it 07/17/2016

Found nothing but remains of a cache. Velcro bits. Needs maint.

Found it 07/14/2016

Good

Needs Maintenance 07/12/2016

I found a piece of velcro that looked like it might have been part of the cache but it was ripped and gone. I believe muggles stole it

Didn't find it 07/11/2016

Stolen

Found it 07/10/2016

Didn't find it 07/10/2016

Must have gotten muggled.

Didn't find it 07/06/2016

Looked twice but no luck. I hope it wasnt muggled :/

Found it 07/05/2016

Very hard to find

Didn't find it 07/05/2016

Not there

Found it 07/03/2016

Found spot...no cache though

Didn't find it 07/01/2016

Found the vexeo but it has been mugged

Needs Maintenance 06/12/2016

Found the Velcro, but no cache

Didn't find it 06/10/2016

It isn't there

Didn't find it 05/14/2016

Son't know what to make of this. Unable to locate. Oh, well.

Guess I needed to find the velcro???

Didn't find it 08/23/2012

DNF. I had a nice hike on a beautiful day. Wondering if its still there. I'll try back in the Fall.

I posted an NM on this cache since they didn't actually "find it" and another posted a DNF, one posted a note doubting the cache was still there -- and it has been almost 5 years since an actual find on that cache!

Premium Member

Caches Found 10107

Found it 07/07/2016

We are staying at the campground and saw that this one was missing. I replaced it today for the owner and emailed him. We will be here for a couple more nights and I will remove it if the owner gets back to me and doesn't want it replaced.

Found it 08/23/2012

DNF. I had a nice hike on a beautiful day. Wondering if its still there. I'll try back in the Fall.

I posted an NM on this cache since they didn't actually "find it" and another posted a DNF, one posted a note doubting the cache was still there -- and it has been almost 5 years since an actual find on that cache!

I meant to say their log was "Found It"

Edited by Pond Bird

Was just looking around the map and found this one on a really remote island that appears to host a US military base:

First off: I did not find the CACHE... I wish you could have a "partial find"! I think a partial find in this case is an accomplishment in itself. What I mean by partial find is that I've been on the island and I've been to the rock.

I was there in 02 while in west pac in the Marines.....

Was just looking around the map and found this one on a really remote island that appears to host a US military base:

First off: I did not find the CACHE... I wish you could have a "partial find"! I think a partial find in this case is an accomplishment in itself. What I mean by partial find is that I've been on the island and I've been to the rock.

Yeah TOTALLY counts... *smh*

Was this a virtual cache? Maybe if the person knew the answers from when they were there they could answer them and say that they were there.

Was this a virtual cache? Maybe if the person knew the answers from when they were there they could answer them and say that they were there.

Traditional

Four DNF logs before these two...

1. Member

[Caches Found] 7

Found it

07/14/2016

Found it but it was missing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Premium Member

[Caches Found] 18

Found it

07/30/2016

Us to it was just gone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Traditional

Then they didn't find it. I found the locations of many caches on trips in High school. Come home to see "oh theres a cache at EPCOT" I was just there. But I'm not logging caches because I didn't actually "find" them even though I was at the location at sometime.

All the logs from one puzzle cache, going back to my DNF 3 years ago: Almost all the Finds were either throwdowns, or someone caching with the throwdowner. By the way CO is still active, but obviously not interested in maintaining his caches--7 of his 26 caches are marked Need Maintenance and 3 are Temporarily Disabled.

Premium Member

Found it

08/05/2016

Couldn't locate [Charter member's] replacement cache. Left a new cache ziptied to larger pine, about 30 ft north of puzzle coords.

Premium Member

Didn't find it

07/05/2016

Out with my sister to grab a few caches near our new home. Unfortunately we had as many DNF's as we did finds. Another one of the DNFs. Read the logs indicating it was about 40' ft off so checked the several beacons that were more logical hidey spots but to no avail. Is it still there?

Charter Member

Found it

02/12/2016

Visiting from Denver and caching with VVVV. Enjoyed the hunt but this one has been MIA so left a fresh 2ml. SL. Thanks for the fun!

Find #115144.

Premium Member

Found it

02/12/2016

Out caching with Charter Member today. The weather was perfect for caching. We enjoyed the variety of containers and placements.

Nice hide. All is good here. We signed the log.

Thank you, hider, for placing this cache.

Premium Member

Didn't find it

07/02/2015

I know I was close but after 30 min search, didn't find. Probably the 40' from solved coordinates mentioned is a contributor to my outcome today. I may reseek sometime when I'm in the area.

Premium Member

Didn't find it

07/09/2014

Wow, between GPSr bouncing to and fro, and muggles everywhere, we could not find this one today. We'll be back!

Premium Member

Found it

05/28/2014

I've spent so much time looking for this cache! My first trip out here I was probably digging around for close to 45 minutes before I felt too uncomfortable to continue. Of course that was years ago, but I still saved this cache as a solved puzzle I MUST go after!

Today I pulled the cache details back up and noticed it had been replaced. So We saddled up and headed that way! When I arrived at GZ - I got that familiar feeling that the coords were off by a bit. Nonetheless, we started at the center and slowly circled out. Finally spotted the cache, some 40' off from the solved coordinates (just like a previous log had stated). Signed log and thanks for the find!

Find 602 of 2014

Premium Member

Didn't find it

01/11/2014

I tried the alternate coords, but I didn't spot this one today.

Premium Member

Found it

09/21/2013

We are out caching with [PM cache replacer]. Thanks for the hunt.

Premium Member

Found it

09/21/2013

So....funny story. While digging for this one, we thought we had finally uncovered it. Upon opening the container, we discovered it was in fact an old cache that used to be here called 'Southern Bubbles'. After laughing about the fact that that old cache clearly survived the test of time, we ended up replacing the container for this cache as it is obviously missing. Out with XXXXX today making some interesting finds!

Premium Member

Didn't find it

07/17/2013

No luck on this one today. Kind of busy so we didn't look to long. Checked both coordinates we had but no luck.

NanCycle

Premium Member

Didn't find it

06/20/2013

Solved the puzzle, but couldn't come up with the cache.

So here's an interesting one. I omitted the 16 found it logs to date, but is there an exception to the "no temporary virtual caches" for geotours? (I emailed the tour owner and MissJenn, no response.)

Geotour owner: Owner Maintenance 07/19/2016

The construction is not keeping pace with the original scheduled. The cache is still not in place so continue to use the work around until I indicate the cache is back in place and remove the work around. At that time the code word will also change.

Geotour owner: Owner Maintenance, 05/04/2016

Due to landscaping at the final location the cache has had to be pulled. It will not be in place until the landscaping is completed in about 3 months. Please read the cache page carefully to find the temporary logging requirements and the requirements for completing your passport for this cache. Any questions please email us. Please no messages.

I'd understand if a geotour was allowing folks to collect the reward at the end, but...

Edited by hzoi

I know, off topic but this one got to me.

Charter Member

Found it

02/12/2016

Visiting from Denver and caching with VVVV. Enjoyed the hunt but this one has been MIA so left a fresh 2ml. SL. Thanks for the fun!

Find #115144.

I guess "claiming" over 100,000 finds comes a bit easier when you're doing stuff like this. A charter member no less. Tsk tsk :(

Charter Member

Found it

02/12/2016

Find #115144.

I guess "claiming" over 100,000 finds comes a bit easier when you're doing stuff like this. A charter member no less. Tsk tsk :(

:(

It's becoming more and more common, even among cachers who should know better.

I do it for two reasons:

I post a DNF if I don't find it regardless of my effort, along with a description of how hard I tried. E.g. "We were still 1/4 of a mile away, but decided the hill was too steep to climb". Or, on a lamppost hide: "I'm sure I know where it is but too many bees around today".

Not sure why folks have phobias about posting DNF's. I consider all the choices to be valuable ones to use.

Can I just say this has been a really enlightening thread! As I'm pretty new to geocaching I'm still learning the etiquette, but it wouldn't occur to me to log a "found it!" unless I actually had my hands on the cache and signed the log. I wouldn't post a DNF if I didn't have time to look properly, or if I didn't get to GZ. If there's an obstruction I'd write a note - e.g. recently I went to find a very urban cache, pretty sure I know whereabouts it is, but couldn't access as a homeless chap had taken up residence.

I have posted DNFs where I have looked pretty carefully for a reasonable length of time and still haven't been able to spot the cache. Or, where it's so overgrown (with nettles, brambles etc) that even with decent clothing you still wouldn't find it.

Translated, original logs in Dutch:

Archive 8/8/2016 By xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for nice logs

Found it 30/7/2016 By xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for nice cache. With some handiwork I could get to the container and log this cache.

To bad there's a "Need Maintenance" as the one posting it probably found the construction but not the cache itself. All is in working order and my name is in the logbook. Please post an "owner maintenance" as all is OK.

Temporarily Disable Listing 27/7/2016 By Reviewer

Found it 25/7/2016 By xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No logbook in cache

Found it 5/7/2016 By xxxxxxxx

Great! fast find

Found it 23/6/2016 By xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quick find and after some turning and pulling I could write my name in the log.

Found it 19/6/2016 By xxxxxxxxxxx

Nice cache and no matter what the previous finder says, the logbook is still there. I was able to logs but of course, you need to do what needs to be done to get it.

The Need Maintenance is uncalled for.

TFTC

Needs Maintenance 4/6/2016 By xxxxxxx (Found=292)

No more log

Found it 4/6/2016 By xxxxxxx (Found=292)

Found the cache, nicely done. No log.

Too bad.

TFTC that I passed so many times cycling.

Found it 31/5/2016 By xxxxxxx (Found=169)

Nice hide, too bad the logbook is gone

Bolding is mine:

This was fun, but challenging. I needed a little help. I had a couple numbers wrong at first. I'm sure I found the final green location with a nice hide spot or two, but I could not find an actual container or log. Looked and looked. Counting as a find, since this was way too much work not to. Hope that's okay.

:)Found it

We found the top of the cache still attached to it's hiding place, but looks like someone previous did not do the top up properly and it has fallen in.

We found the spot but all that was left was the cap so I guess it needs to be replaced

Found the spot but NEEDS maintenance.

Easy find. Hidden well. It may have fell down and needs to be replaced

Edited by CanadianRockies

On a recently found cache I logged as NM, appears to have a very long history of problems:

Starting with Picture;

e800c174-dfae-4f7a-bd62-b582be38dcd1.jpg

Note, Picture Taker

Not too sure what is going on here - went to find this one, but only found this note. No sign of the cache.

Also found the same at 'xxxx' - same owner.

Don't know if it is malicious or factual - nobody else appears to be logging this though, despite caching activity going on nearby...

Found it

Well found what is left i.e. the note. Obviously needs some maintenance or archniving. Strange.

NA, Last find claimer

Cache has been replaced with a note saying it's not there. Strange as the latest real find was only Jan 4th, though it seems the container has needed fixing for a while. Seems like someone got peed off and removed it

Found it (With Photos)

I still claim as found the note!!!... instead of container.... Smile... I assume some farm - local doing like that - "Bad Sport". So took some photos to prove that I have been there...

Reviewer Disable

Found It, Highly active cacher on another site

As with others, we signed the piece of papaer at GZ.

Took nothing, left nothing.

This cache should probably be archived, but only after my "found" is counted.

Overall Experience: 3

Found it

How about that - could have met [last found it] if my timing was right. Did the same & something similar not far away. Onwards.

Found it

Unfortunately just a piece of paper was to be found at GZ, but in true cacher tradition, we signed the "log" regardless.

This is an interesting series & it would be nice to see the cache replaced.

Found It

Hmmm, same as the last one, pity realy as this is a good series, also did the "xxxx" cache further down the road and enjoyed learning about the area

Found it

Found with xxxx, same story as the last, hope the next one in the series is better

NA

Been over 30 days and still no action from owner ( and never will be as they haven't cached in 2 years ). Really time to put this one to rest to open the area up for others.

Found It, goes on to adopt after maintenance

Nice quick drivby in an interesting spot. TFTC

Owner Maintenance Almost exactly a month after his find

New cache placed today. Please enjoy!

Edited by Tassie_Boy

Found it

08/21/2016

N 43° 15.861 W 072° 35.430

Knew this one was missing going in so i brought a replacement container with me. Great area that is deserving of a cache. I ended up zeroing out in the street and didn't really see any thing that matched the hint nearby so I left a matchstick container in a spot that should be accessible to all cachers. The bounce here is real bad but I will add coordinates that will hopefully get you a smiley in my log. Hopefully the CO will be able to get out and check it soon.

B.

Found it

08/21/2016

N 43° 15.861 W 072° 35.430

Knew this one was missing going in so i brought a replacement container with me. Great area that is deserving of a cache. I ended up zeroing out in the street and didn't really see any thing that matched the hint nearby so I left a matchstick container in a spot that should be accessible to all cachers. The bounce here is real bad but I will add coordinates that will hopefully get you a smiley in my log. Hopefully the CO will be able to get out and check it soon.

B.

I was tempted.

As a newcomer to geocaching, I don't see why someone even considers logging a find that they didn't actually find. Out of 7 searches I've made so far, 2 were not found, and I didn't have a problem saying that, even though I KNOW I was "right there". I would think it's important to note when a cache is "not found" as it could be missing and the owner needs to know.

That's my opinion, and I think everyone it entitled to it. (My opinion, that is!)

sbellis

You are correct. The DNF's are very helpful for two reasons...the owner can check the cache to make sure it is still there, especially if there are more than two or three DNF....and as a geocacher, it helps me determine whether I should make an attempt to find the cache or determine that it may very well not be there. If I see a couple of DNF's but then the next person found it, I will go and look. If there are several needs maintenance, notes or DNF's, and the last DNF was over two years old, I most likely will not go and look for it.

Charter Member

Found it

02/12/2016

Find #115144.

:(

It's becoming more and more common, even among cachers who should know better.

Geocaching etiquette is definitely not followed by everyone. It has been disappointing to find this out, especially after reading all these "crazy" found it logs, when folks didn't actually find anything. But alas, I can't control other people's behaviors...only my own. If I DNF, I post DNF. It's that simple. If you have big numbers, and are into that kind of thing, is cheating acceptable to you? Let each one judge their own conduct. To be honest, I don't check to see if people really found my hides.

Needs Maintenance 07/06/2016

Once again, only the remnant of the cache is there. See the previous log

Found it 06/30/2016

June 30, 2016 2:50 PM 207

Only remains, see (previous log_ for image.

xxx and I decided to attempt to do the xxx Trail. We made sure to get a boat license, and comply with most local ordinances. Having done all that, we set out for the wilds of the xxx River in xxx County, New Jersey. Unfortunately, I hadn't studied the cache trail carefully enough, so I parked down by the very end of the trail. This wasn't the last mistake of the day...

The water level in the xxx was quite low, and we had a rather wide boat with a greater draft than a traditional kayak. However, as we got farther down river, the water level rose enough. By the time we were here, we were floating most of the time, save for accidents and mishaps.

We searched for this cache also for a quite a long time. For much of that time, one of us searched, while the other explained geocaching to a nearby set of muggles. Finally, xxx, using his x-ray vision, saw the remnants, and only the remnants, of the cache. This was the third time today that we found a former cache (perhaps all three were simply pining for the fjords). I'll log a Maint Req.

Needs Maintenance 02/10/2016

I found GZ on foot,based on reading some of the previous visitors.Looks like the cache container has indeed been washed away from the high water we get from time to time on the xxx River.

There are remains still tied to the tree that are not reachable from land. Definately needs replacing.

Found it 09/05/2015

Decided that this weekend would be a good one to go kayaking. Although I'm not sure that is what you would call what xxx and I did this day. Oh well, I still had fun. TFTC!

Needs Maintenance 07/23/2015

Found this one, kinda. I attached a photo of me upset here fond the top of the cache but the bottom and log are missing... Id like to log this as a find, with permission of the CO?

All three logs are from the same person:

Premium Member

Caches Found 888

Found it 08/28/2016

Found it ;)

Premium Member

Caches Found 888

Write note 08/28/2016

Donated a new container, log book, swag an a couple of pens. Please replace as found

Premium Member

Caches Found 888

Didn't find it 08/27/2016

Nothing today but golf balls :(

Probably covering all bases :lol:

Translated (original in French)

Archive 22/8/2016 By owner (Found=2183 Hidden=95, as of 29/8/2016)

End of the game.

Didn't find it 18/8/2016 cacher (Found=83 Hidden=0, as of 29/8/2016)

I confirm the cache is gone. It's no longer there.

I couldn't log it because of that

Found it 18/8/2016 By cacher (Found=83 Hidden=0, as of 29/8/2016)

Needs Archived 18/8/2016 By cacher (Found=83 Hidden=0, as of 29/8/2016)

Needs Maintenance 18/8/2016 By cacher (Found=83 Hidden=0, as of 29/8/2016)

End of the game.

If people are confirming the cache is gone, then why are they allowing the next posts to be "Found it" logs to begin with? I've heard reviewers can now delete found it logs, do we know if this is true or not? Maybe they don't because people like quoting the "Found it = didn't find it"

Edited by Pond Bird

End of the game.

If people are confirming the cache is gone, then why are they allowing the next posts to be "Found it" logs to begin with? I've heard reviewers can now delete found it logs, do we know if this is true or not? Maybe they don't because people like quoting the "Found it = didn't find it"

It wouldn't be the reviewer's job to do it.

It could be the cache owner's job to do it, but since they haven't bothered to fix the cache, they probably won't bother to worry about the logs either.

End of the game.

It wouldn't be the reviewer's job to do it.

It could be the cache owner's job to do it, but since they haven't bothered to fix the cache, they probably won't bother to worry about the logs either.

True. The reviewers in France wouldn't have the job of deleting bogus found it logs. They are volunteers (like all other reviewers) and probably have better things to do then read every found it log on a soon-to-be-archived or recently-archived cache to determine if it represents a real find or not.